Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gator - Centurion looks nice. The issue is that this build started with the $169 version of the DD m4 barrel (on sale at bcm) to the $230 BCM midlength.. to the $299 BCM CHF... then to the DD CHF for around the same price. I may honestly just go back to the std BCM midlength barrel as that might just be the right mix between cost and performance for me. Still undecided though.

SDDuc996 - I'll definitely be giving DD a call about their barrels.

Stickman - Any specifc reccomendations for eye and ears for a guy who already wears glasses? I have an astigmatism though so I can't always get lenses made for frames with high amounts of curve to the lens. Budget for ear protection is ~100 or less for active electronic muffs if possible.

As for the rail system I might have to give DD another look. The reason I liked larue's rails is the mounting system not allowing the barrel nut to be loosened by any torquing of the rail by a VFG or other attachment. One thing to consider for this build is that once the FH is pinned on the barrel nut and gas block will be pretty much on the barrel forever so I am trying to make predict my needs down the line and also make sure every part of the upper (gb/area under rails/barrel nut area) is accessible without the removal of the flash hider/gas block.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In that case, you should definitely give DD a look. Their FF rails mount and dismount fairly easily which would allow for easier maintenance. They even have 2pc Freefloats to offer with 3 different mounting options. Mounting is solid too, esp on their Lite and RIS II rails, as they have their own proprietary anti-rotational systems.
    That said, I recommend the M4A1 RIS II. Long enough for your needs , is 2 pc and probably the most solid mounting system amog all their rails from what I can see off their website. -- it has locking nubs at the rear of the mounting ring which prevent rotation on top of the protruding screws. -- someone please correct me if this feature is also offered on Lite Rails.
    https://www.danieldefense.com/?page=...&product_id=17

Downloads
    Uploads
    Whats the difference between the RIS II rail and their Lite Rails? The only thing called out for the RIS system is the M203 mounting it also appears to be 2 piece. Is there a reason (other than ease of install/removal) that I would want a 2 piece system? All conventional wisdom tells me that a single piece system will weigh less and be more rigid.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gator, the RIS rails lock up the same as the Lite Rails. SOLID.

Brent M from DD gave me one of the versions we use on our 10" MK18 uppers. It's so nice.

Emilio, that's pretty much the main reason for the RIS II's design. For installation of a 203. They're nice rails to be sure. In fact, I'm sure your gun would look cool as hell with one on there. Also, you don't have to worry about them coming loose.

Did I mention they are SOLID?

As for the difference in the weight of the two, you're looking at maybe 2-3oz.
    Either way you'll be happy with Daniel Defense.

Downloads
    Uploads
    SDDuc996 - So both rails are 1 piece? Either way I am most likely going with the 12in DD Lite rails. BCM carries them for $332 a set which is only $33 more than the Larue 12 and I am definitely sold on the continuous rail feature (i will eventually be mounting an optic) and they to be very popular.

EDIT - First post has been edited to reflect changes. I will be posting pictures of parts as they roll in.
    Last edited by Emilio84; 29 January 2010 at 22:51.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No the Lite rail is one piece. (Except for the locking ring that you'll have to mount behind their barrel nut.) The rail itself is oe piece.

The RIS II is two piece. Loosen the screws and pull the bottom off for mounting a 203.

Though the RIS is 2 piece to the 1 piece Lite rail, the difference is still a few ounces.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gotcha, that makes more sense now. I think I am going to stick with the lite though as I am really not a huge fan of the FDE anodizing, will never be mounting a 203, and the Lite is $47 cheaper.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Oh ok, now that makes sense. Sorry, about that... I completely overlooked the fact you were from NY.
    Just curious, how short can you go with regards to stocks? Does it have anything to do with your rifles OAL? or is it a separate deal?[/url]
    In new york, it's against the law to have a colapsable stock. although you can pin the stock to any length desired. the OAL must be at least 32 inches (don't quote me, not 100% sure).

On my old AR setup, I had an ACE Carbine FX stock that didnt collapse- but it was the length of a CTR at posistion 1. As long as your barrel is a total of 16" and has an OAL of 32+inches, everything is law abiding.
    A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons.
    -Admiral David D. Porter, USN

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 4SRecon View Post
    In new york, it's against the law to have a colapsable stock. although you can pin the stock to any length desired. the OAL must be at least 32 inches (don't quote me, not 100% sure).

On my old AR setup, I had an ACE Carbine FX stock that didnt collapse- but it was the length of a CTR at posistion 1. As long as your barrel is a total of 16" and has an OAL of 32+inches, everything is law abiding.
    How tall are you? Did you ever think of going shorter than the ACE stock?

Downloads
    Uploads
    GTG with either rail, IMHO. I too am not a huge fan of the FDE color but the RIS II, technically and functionally speaking is just superb.
    We're about the same height. That said, stock length depends quite a bit on shooting style. While I personally like having my CTR on the first position out, practically nose to CH, I know a couple of folks my size who like theirs all the way out if not just a slot or 2 from it, as well as a few guys much larger than myslef who like theirs in the same position as mine.
    Again, subjective to what works for you. You may want to try one at different positions if that's at all possible, just to see what works best for you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilio84 View Post
    How tall are you? Did you ever think of going shorter than the ACE stock?
    I'm 6ft tall, and opted to go with the rubber pad ACE LTD offers as an option to attach to the butt of the stock. It gives you about an inch and a half to play with and also gives your stock a better sense of comfort (PHO). Your butt stock can't get any shorter than your buffer tube, so the answer to your question is no. I don't see any logical explanation for being that close to an optic or your iron's in the first place... and it doesn't seem to beneficial in any way.

With a collapsable stock at position 1 (completely collapsed) the stock is sitting flush with the back of the buffer tube. The ACE LTD ARFX stock is constantly in that position. It is within State/Federal Reg's installed on an AR15.

Here is a pic of the stock (rubber butt pad not pictured)

And I recant what I posted eearlier. I should have stated: Collapseable butt stocks are illegal to own on a shoulder fired rifle in New York with the exception of LEO/MIL.
    Last edited by 4SRecon; 31 January 2010 at 12:30.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not to hijack the thread or anything... I just want to clarify NY state laws on stocks... Can you have a collapsible stock pinned to make it legal or does the whole system have to be non-adjustable to begin with?
    THe reason I ask is because I figured, rather than having it pinned (again, if allowed at all), you could take out the horizontal pin that allows the lever on the CTR to engage the spring for adjusting. I tried to figure it out as best I could and it appears to be more difficult to put it back in than to push out a pin to prevent adjustment. Whether or not it's legal for states that require adjustable stock pinning is an entirely different thing.
    Just a thought that popped into my mind.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Not to hijack the thread or anything... I just want to clarify NY state laws on stocks... Can you have a collapsible stock pinned to make it legal or does the whole system have to be non-adjustable to begin with?
    THe reason I ask is because I figured, rather than having it pinned (again, if allowed at all), you could take out the horizontal pin that allows the lever on the CTR to engage the spring for adjusting. I tried to figure it out as best I could and it appears to be more difficult to put it back in than to push out a pin to prevent adjustment. Whether or not it's legal for states that require adjustable stock pinning is an entirely different thing.
    Just a thought that popped into my mind.
    PM sent, I don't want to go off topic either.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 4SRecon View Post

Here is a pic of the stock (rubber butt pad not pictured)

That a full size ACE or the Entry length?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilio84 View Post
    That a full size ACE or the Entry length?
    ACE LTD. ARFX Entry