Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 4SRecon View Post
    ACE LTD. ARFX Entry
    Yeah, makes sense now. I originally thought you were running the std size Ace stock which is why I asked about going smaller. I think I'll go with the entry length as I can always extend it out with the longer 1" buttpad or a RRA stock extender.

My only hold up now is the barrel.... So many choices

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok so I just ordered my ACE Entry Stock. If its too short I'll give a DPMS 1" stock extension a go. Here is a pic comparing the full length ACE vs the Entry length with 1" extension. All that combined with the possibility of using the 1" rubber butt pad if I need it (stock is .5") should give me a significant amount of adjustability.

Oh, and my lower got to my FFL today. I will be picking it up tomorrow after work or weds during my lunch break.

Downloads
    Uploads
    And since everyone loves pictures (excuse the quality... took it with my Blackberry) here is a pic of what I have accumulated so far..

And before someone asks... yes.. I have 2 LPKs. One came from Bill Springfield with a trigger job and the other was from a friend. I traded some paintball stuff for the stuff he bought for an AR build he never finished (the mags, LPK, MIAD, and cleaning kit).

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://pkfirearms.com/content/1/20/121/162

Looks like I'm going with the Daniel Defense 16" Midlength CHF 1:7 barrel. For the price ($250) it looks like a great deal.

Opinions?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yup! cant go wrong with DD IMHO. Looks like youre set. Enjoy your new toy and keep us posted.
    And I agree, we all love pictures so if you could, post some of the completed build.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can't go wrong with a DD Barrel, I think that was a great choice- post pic's of the finished build please!!
    A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons.
    -Admiral David D. Porter, USN

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok... another ordered placed... this time with PKFirearms.com.

Got the barrel, gas tube, clp, and DD Lite Rail wrench...

Still need to call BCM to see which gasblock they reccomend then I'll place my order with them.

Also been going back and forth about optics. I know I want either an EOTech 512 or Aimpoint (haven't decided which) but that 400+ buys me a nice hardcase/range bag, ammo, and range time...

And... I want troys but have been considering MBUIS again...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Either Vltor or Larue will do. Pinned to ensure GB stability.
    +1 on the range time and ammo but the hardcase is something nice to have but more of a want than a need IMHO.
    You might want to wait a while, shoot, do research and see which optic option would suit you better.
    From my personal experience, I like the Eotech's reticle over Aimpoints big dot but prefer Aimpont's battery life meaured in year vs. Eo's measured in hours. I dont care for Eo's 8 or 4 hour auto shut of but like the idea of direct mounting. I prefer Aimpoint's 1/3 vs. Eo's absolute co-witness. Lastly, in my case (owning a 511), prefer Aimpoint's battery choice over Eo's PITA N-type.
    Again, at thre risk of sounding redundtant, I have a 511, and after a few rounds down range and a hunting trip or two... if I had the chance for a do over, I'd opt for a Micro T1 instead. I like the size, battery life and type, and co-witness. Again, all up to whatever suits your needs and preferences.
    As for your BUIS option, I too am battling with the same options. I like the quick activation of the MBUS, primarily the thought of being able to simply click the front BUIS on with my thumb while shooting, if need, but I presonally feel more confident with Troy's choice of material.
    I guess it boils down to a balance you can live with. Ensured durability vs. quicker deployment, to be specific IMHO.
    Leaning towards Troy at the moment but not completely shutting off the idea of the new MBUS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Either Vltor or Larue will do. Pinned to ensure GB stability.
    +1 on the range time and ammo but the hardcase is something nice to have but more of a want than a need IMHO.
    You might want to wait a while, shoot, do research and see which optic option would suit you better.
    From my personal experience, I like the Eotech's reticle over Aimpoints big dot but prefer Aimpont's battery life meaured in year vs. Eo's measured in hours. I dont care for Eo's 8 or 4 hour auto shut of but like the idea of direct mounting. I prefer Aimpoint's 1/3 vs. Eo's absolute co-witness. Lastly, in my case (owning a 511), prefer Aimpoint's battery choice over Eo's PITA N-type.
    Again, at thre risk of sounding redundtant, I have a 511, and after a few rounds down range and a hunting trip or two... if I had the chance for a do over, I'd opt for a Micro T1 instead. I like the size, battery life and type, and co-witness. Again, all up to whatever suits your needs and preferences.
    As for your BUIS option, I too am battling with the same options. I like the quick activation of the MBUS, primarily the thought of being able to simply click the front BUIS on with my thumb while shooting, if need, but I presonally feel more confident with Troy's choice of material.
    I guess it boils down to a balance you can live with. Ensured durability vs. quicker deployment, to be specific IMHO.
    Leaning towards Troy at the moment but not completely shutting off the idea of the new MBUS.

I really want to try the Micro T1. The small size and killer battery life makes it sit pretty high on my list as well. Sadly I have yet to see anyone around me using one.

As for the hardcase.. in my situation part of the agreement for me having my weapons in the house was that they be under lock and key... so my choice is either a safe of sorts or a hardcase.

Downloads
    Uploads
    just placed the "big" order with Bravo Company USA...

DD 12" Lite Rail
    Gunfighter Charging Handle
    PWS FSC556
    YHM Low Profile Gas Block
    BCG
    Spare Firing Pin
    Spare Gas Rings
    Magpul Followers
    Mil-Comm TW25B Grease

I think my wallet just exploded!

Still need some other stuff but that'll come along as I put it all together.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilio84 View Post

Also been going back and forth about optics. I know I want either an EOTech 512 or Aimpoint (haven't decided which) but that 400+ buys me a nice hardcase/range bag, ammo, and range time...

And... I want troys but have been considering MBUIS again...
    I would recommend getting used to your Irons before spending money on an optic... While learning, getting used to your setup you can get used to your Iron's while saving a few bucks for buying a nice optic down the line. I notice you've ordered alot of parts for your current build, and I know how pricey things can get, giving time for your wallet to recoupe and getting used to your weapon could be beneficial in terms of what direction you want to head in when your ready for the "Optics Department".

On the other hand, dont let anyone influence your purchasing power. Go with whatever you feel comfertable with. I'm simply stating that you might want to take your time in choosing an optic, after maybe testing out some different options. If you already have your heart set on something... By any means, purchase it- I would hate to see someone go through "Buyer's remorse".

There is a great "Optic Selection Guide." in the "Product Guides" forum that Paulosantos put together that you might find helpful.
    A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons.
    -Admiral David D. Porter, USN

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I wasn't planning on buying an optic for a while anyway. Just kind of mulling over the options out loud.

I just cancelled my order with delton... they ace entry stock was backordered but they didn't list it as such on the site. I am gonna hold off on re-ordering it though as I know that once I get to assembling my rifle I'll need to order some small stuff so I'll just get it then. Plus, I still need to send my barrel off to get the compensator pinned and dimpled for my gas block so there is no real rush.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I borrowed my buddy's tools and put my lower together tonight. Went together as expected with no major issues. The selector is a bit tougher than expected to move from fire to safe (yes the hammer is cocked). Is this something that will smooth out as the rifle gets used?

And since EVERYONE loves pictures (even when they aren't from stickman) here are some from my build so far..

Cleaning/Lubing parts prior to install (Using EEOX for now.. couldn't find Breakfree CLP locally)

protecting the lower while installing the most irritating roll pin ever (they really need to start using captive pins with setscrews instead of rollpins)

installed damage free

almost done

Finished!

And just so I have an idea of the final product (I really need to grab a few preban 30rd mags!)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Emilio84,

Looks good, get that feeling of pride when you got your lower together? Good on you. Mega makes some damn nice stuff it will serve you well, I have recommended Mega to many friends myself as well as what I have sitting around.

4Srecon is very correct in his opinion of getting your front and rear sights prior to an optic, I know it's not as cool but these will always be there when the batteries you just bought good dead.

Good luck and keep going.

Dutch
    si vis pacem para bellum
    Colt M16 Armorer, Colt 1911 Armorer, Glock Armorer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dutch - It definitely does feel good to turn a pile of parts into something functional. I really am impressed with the Mega pieces. The fit and finish is fantastic and the teflon coating is very nice looking. I was originally going with their billet set but couldn't justify the cost increase nor the inability to use certain accesories (magpul BAD among other things).

As for front and rear irons I totally agree. I am not buying any form of optics until I feel proficient with irons.