Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok so doing the function check the other night on the lower everything went fine. One thing I did notice was that when I cocked the hammer (trigger not depressed) if I pushed the hammer past the initial catch point the hammer shelf would contact the disconnector. It wouldn't stick as if I had the trigger held down but it would click going down and back up to the catch point. I contacted Bill Springfield and he said he set it up this way as extra insurance against a double fire. While I take his word I am just curious how that tiny bit of contact does anything to prevent a double fire. Ideas?

Btw - the trigger pretravel is perfect.. no creep at all and a very crisp break.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilio84 View Post
    Ok so doing the function check the other night on the lower everything went fine. One thing I did notice was that when I cocked the hammer (trigger not depressed) if I pushed the hammer past the initial catch point the hammer shelf would contact the disconnector. It wouldn't stick as if I had the trigger held down but it would click going down and back up to the catch point. I contacted Bill Springfield and he said he set it up this way as extra insurance against a double fire. While I take his word I am just curious how that tiny bit of contact does anything to prevent a double fire. Ideas?

Btw - the trigger pretravel is perfect.. no creep at all and a very crisp break.
    Selector on fire, hold the trigger down, cock the hammer, very slowly ease the trigger forward (do not allow it to slam forward and strike the bolt catch!). Repeat several times. Does the hammer hold on the disconnector and then transfer to being held back by the trigger, or does the hammer go forward?

The trigger was modified by Bill Springfield?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Selector on fire, hold the trigger down, cock the hammer, very slowly ease the trigger forward (do not allow it to slam forward and strike the bolt catch!). Repeat several times. Does the hammer hold on the disconnector and then transfer to being held back by the trigger, or does the hammer go forward?

The trigger was modified by Bill Springfield?
    The trigger was modified by Bill Springfield for a 4lb pull. When doing as you instructed it will hold on the disconnector then transfer to being held back by the trigger.

The contact I referred to is between the disconnector shelf on the hammer and the disconnector hook and it occurs when I cock the hammer and after the hammer catches the trigger I keep pressing down on the hammer.

Take a look at this video. I cock the hammer and then try to show you the clicking that occurs (or overlap as bill calls it) then do the function check.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfzOU1lEUsY

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some more pictures... (new parts!)

Got my Barrel!

Engraved Dust Cover

Last edited by Emilio84; 6 February 2010 at 16:25.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Put it an order with JSE Surplus this morning for an ACE Entry Length, carbine buffer, carbine buffer spring, and 1" buttpad. Should hopefully come in this week.

My order from BCM comes in tomorrow which is exciting. I'll be doing a dry fit of the parts and then I'm going to send the barrel, gas block, barrel nut, and compensator to Adco to get the FH pinned and the barrel dimpled for the gasblock.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Almost there! Got my big order from BCM today...

BCG

Gunfighter Charging Handle

LITE Rail

PWS FSC556

Test Fitting

I placed my order for shop service in with ADCO and will be sending off my barrel, comp, gas block, and barrel nut tomorrow if we don't get hit too hard by the approaching storm.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ADCO will take good care of you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah I have heard many good things about them.

On a side note I found troy battle sights (m4 style front sight) on ebay and with bing cashback they come out to $174.50 shipped. Seems like a good deal to me but I also registered at botachdefense.com and can buy a set of MBUIS for $62.50 before shipping. Opinions?

EDIT - Went with the M4 style troy sights. Got em off ebay (new) for $174.50 ($185 + $8 Shipping - $18.50 bing cashback).

Gonna run by the post office tomorrow during lunch to mail out my barrel/comp/gas block/barrel nut to ADCO.
    Last edited by Emilio84; 10 February 2010 at 18:19.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone know how many XTM rail covers it takes to cover a side of the DD 12.0 rail? 8 (2 sets)? Trying to figure out how many it would take to cover the bottom and sides of my rail. Also, anyone know how many xtm spots would be taken up by an AFG?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just an update...

ADCO has shipped my barrel assembly along with a bolt dissasembly tool. I'll be grabbing some clymer headspace gauges as well so I can check my headspace once I get my rifle together.

I also received my stock... well kinda. I was shipped the wrong one so I'll be getting a replacement soon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got my barrel assembly in. Anyone know if the Daniel Defense barrel nuts are steel or AL? My barrel nut has a little finish scratched off from their wrench. I am really just worried about rust as it won't be visible once installed.

Ordered more stuff today... headspace gauges, front sight tool, buttstock extender (going to try it with my shorty to see if I like it.. if not I'll just sell it), and other small items.

At this point all I really need to pick up are rail covers, BAD, bag to carry my rifle and misc tools/equipment to the range, some sort of lockbox/safe for the house, and eye/ear protection.

After buying all that and ammo I am going to be done for a bit...

I will eventually be grabbing a sling and mounts from Gear Sector though... prolly as a birthday gift to myself.

Pic of barrel nut... AL or Steel?

Downloads
    Uploads
    AL or Steel?
    I don't have a direct answer, but if you have a magnet handy you can confirm what you have.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I don't have a direct answer, but if you have a magnet handy you can confirm what you have.
    Magnet stuck to it so I guess its steel. After I install my barrel it I can hit it with some permablue and that should be fine for rust prevention (along with a wipedown of clp. That is unless someone comes along with a better solution.

ps - Peltor Sport Tactical Electronic Muffs, XTM Rail Covers, and B.A.D. ordered from Botach Defense!

All I need now is my softcase to take it to the range and a gun cabinet for home!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Touched up the barrel nut and threw her together the other day. And here she is:

Going to try and get out to the range this weekend.
    Last edited by Emilio84; 28 February 2010 at 22:31.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Yippee!

Woot! Very nice! Congrats on puttingit all together. I look forward to hearing howit shoots.