Downloads
    Uploads

Magpul MIAD install guide and pictorial review

Weapon System: AR15/ M16

Manufacturer: Magpul

Item Installed: MIAD-MIssion ADaptable Grip

Purpose of Item: The Magpul Mission Adaptable (MIAD) grip is a replacement for the standard A1 and A2 pistol grip that come on almost all military and commercially available AR15/ M16s.

The MIAD basic kit comes with two different front straps, and three different sized backstraps. The enhanced kit includes an additional front strap which uses a built in trigger guard that arches to allow for more room and removes the gap found between the trigger guard and pistol grip.

This allows for a custom fit that will size the grip to the individual shooter. It is commonly known that a pistol which fits a handgun shooter will increase the shooters abilities, resulting in less fatigue and an increase overall performance level. Granted, it may not be a massive leap forward, but there is no doubt that every bit helps. In much the same manner, sizing the grip to the individual shooter, I would expect an increase even if for no other reason that allowing a person to get their trigger finger to correctly fit on the trigger.

The MIAD also has a heavily textured grip on all surfaces (except trigger guard) allowing for an increased level of adhesion in hand to grip. This is something that people who carry a weapon for a living will appreciate in wet, cold, or other inclement weather or conditions which may allow the weapon to slide in the shooters hands.

Lastly, there is storage built in, with a secure core that locks in from the underneath. These cores are available to hold batteries, an AR15/ M16 bolt, or three bullets.

Tools Needed: Screwdriver (Flat head or Phillips depending on what is used on your pistol grip)
    Punch
    Hammer
    Block of wood or item to support receiver

Items Included:
    Pistol grip
    Front and backstraps
    Pistol grip screw & washer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Before starting, basic weapon safety needs to be followed. Clear your weapon, and ensure there is no ammunition in the chamber, and no magazine inserted. I hate to bring it up in each writeup, but safety is something that can’t be overlooked. All standard disclaimers apply here. This is an illustrated example of how I remove, install, and use items. If the use of basic tools is something you fear, find help before attempting any weapon work. Weapons are inherently dangerous, and so are tools if not used properly. While these steps work for me, it is not a magic answer for everyone. The use of the below steps still obligates the reader to accept responsibility for what they do.

With a safe weapon, remove the lower from the upper. In the picture below, you can see that I removed the stock, however, this is optional, and its not a big deal to leave it on.

The rear pin of the trigger guard is held in place by a roll pin. The “ears” of the receiver are a weak point, and they were not made to beat on. Because of that, we want to brace that area around the roll pins. I do this by using a soft pine board. I can drive the roll pin out, and into the board if needed. You can also angle the board so the pin falls out under the board.

Some people like to lube the roll pin before they do this, but it’s never been a problem for me without it. If you have a problem, lube certain can’t hurt. The big thing is that you brace the ears. I’ve done this numerous times without bracing and never had a problem, but it doesn’t hurt to use care, especially if you haven’t done this before.

*** NOTE *** If you are not installing the integral trigger guard that is available with the MIAD, you do not need to take the old trigger guard out.

With the rear roll pin removed, we can use the punch to press down on the front trigger guard pin. This pin is spring loaded, and once you press in, you should be able to remove the entire trigger guard.

Downloads
    Uploads
    With the trigger guard out of the way, we are ready to move on to removal of the pistol grip. Take a look inside your currently installed pistol grip, and see what type of screw is inside. It may be anything from a standard slotted screw, to a Phillips, or even an allen head. This screw removes by turning counter clockwise. In some weapons, there may be a dab of loctite or similar material, so it may take a little work to get the screw out, but it’s usually not bad. It is worth using the right tool for the right job to avoid stripping the head of the screw.

You can see from the above picture that as you start to loosen the screw, a coiled spring will appear. In the below picture you can see that removal of the grip will release a spring and detent. These are pieces that you do not want to lose.

Downloads
    Uploads
    With our old items removed, its time to select which pieces you want to install on your new MIAD pistol grip. The below picture shows what I tend to use. There is a roll pin that locks the backstrap to the grip, but I would not use it until I was certain that I had the MIAD in the configuration that I wanted. The front strap is locked into place by the receiver, so that’s another one you will want to decide on, but that needs to be figured out before you install the grip. The backstrap can get changed out as needed while the grip is installed on the weapon.

The MIAD goes straight up in the same way the old pistol grip came off. The grip may be tight to get into place, that that is to be expected. You don’t want a loose fit. Its important that when you are pressing the grip into place that you do NOT bend, kink, or otherwise kill that spring. That detent is important as well, so make sure that little critter didn’t get lost. There are a couple generations of MIADs, and a few different screws have been used. If yours comes with a lockwasher, make sure you use it.

Installing the screw isn’t hard, but it can be awkward. Make sure you don’t strip the threads of your lower receiver by cranking down hard and cross threading. Take your time, do it right. Sometimes goes in so easy its simplistic, other times, it take a bit more care. If you are having a really hard time, pull the grip off and put the screw through with your driver attached, then work it into the receiver hole. Just be careful you don’t bend the spring this way.

Don’t tighten the screw all the way right now, we want to leave it loose for the next part.

The reason we left the grip loose is so we can attach the front Allen head set screw. It’s easier to get it lined up if the grip is still loose. Press hard, use the correct size wrench, and get it in place.

Once the trigger guard is in place (if you used that part), you want to tighten down the grip screw securely. Once that is done, you can drop your core into the bottom of the grip, and you are done.

Downloads
    Uploads
    CONGRATULATIONS! Once you are complete, you are ready to assemble your weapon, and check out the overall feel of your new pistol grip. If you decide to remove the backstrap, you can swap it out to get the feel you want. Remember that in an idea world, you should be able to reach the safety and trigger without adjusting your firing grip. If you like the backstrap that is on, you can drive the rollpin through and lock it into place. On my duty weapon, the MIAD is pinned, but with my other AR15s, I leave them unpinned so that I can swap them out for other shooters who may use the weapon. I haven’t had any issues with the backstraps coming loose.

Here are a few pictures to show different angles of an installed MIAD.

Downloads
    Uploads