Downloads
    Uploads

HK vs M4 Style Front Sight

So I am looking to pick up a set of Troy Industries Battle Sights today and am not sure if I want to go with the HK or M4 style front sights. I like the idea of a circle within a circle for quick shots but since the rear sight doesn't adjust for elevation the front sight post might not be centered within the front sight circle.

Another pro for the M4 sight is that its a sight picture I will be used to should I ever need to shoot a different rifle.

Cost is the same and i am pretty much set on the Troys. What do you guys think?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds to me like you already made your decision. I'd go with traditional sights to ease the transition from multiple AR's; that alone is the biggest selling point for me.

-Lonni

Downloads
    Uploads
    yeah I was pretty much set on the m4 style but since this is my first build and I don't have much handling time with AR15 style rifles I thought I might have missed the point of the HK style front sights.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like HK sight's on my HK, and M4/AR style on my M4/AR's.

I'll pass on something that was brought to my attention, but I never had experience with. With the Troy HK-style front sights, you can raise or lower the elevation) Now somebody correct me if I'm wrong below...

Real HK sights are fixed. (The tip being roughly in the center of the circle.) That being said it was easy to line up the circle in the rear sight to the circle/half circle in the front and get a quick reference as to your point of aim. (By circle/half circle I'm referring to the protective "wings")

The argument I'd heard was that with an adjustable elevation front sight, there's no need for the half circle as the tip of the front sight post may no longer be dead center. In fact if it's raised either up or down, this could hinder how quickly you can get on target as your eye naturally wants to line up both front and rear circles, when you may have needed to either raise or lower the muzzle end to get on target.

I hope this makes sense. Has anyone had experience with this?

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is correct and I have had that problem. I have three sets of Troy sights and one of the three needed more elevation this means the front sight post is all the way up to the top 1/4 of the ear. I always shoot this rifle high when shooting with irons as I line up the circles first.

If I could do it again, I would have bought the M4 style front sights rather than the HK. Now all the ARs have optics so it is not important enough to change them.

Cameron

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds about right guys... and exactly why I ended up with the M4 style front sight.

On a side note I'm very excited to get these in as they seem to be very nice quality

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the same issue with HK style Troy sights, my tendency is to line up the circles, then I have to focus on lining up the top of the front sight. My preference is for the M4 style front sight

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the HK style sight picture but IMO it requires a fully adjustable rear for that very reason. My Troy front is centered and I leave it alone.