Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt 6720

Downloads
    Uploads

Colt 6720

Details at http://colt6720.com/
    Initially available exclusively through Clyde Armory.
    Based off of the 6520 AR15A2 Gov't Carbine, updated with a flat-top upper and designated as the AR-15A4 Lightweight LE Carbine.

Lightweight magnetic particle tested barrel
    1:7 rifling twist
    Magnetic particle tested bolt head
    Flip-up rear sight by MaTech, adjustable for both windage and elevation
    Double insulated hand guard
    Top picatinny rail with number designations
    4 position buffer tube and M4 stock
    Bayonet lug and flash hider
    Direct gas impingement operating system

Several of us have swapped out uppers on the 6520 to create this configuration, but the factory version should be a hit. The LW barrel really makes sense for most applications, much more so than an M4 style barrel. The first few released will of course be spendy, but later runs are listed at a reasonable $1,200.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Photos used with permission from Clyde Armory.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "F" marked front sight base?
    Specialized Armament
    (480) 940-7397
    sales@specializedarmament.com
    Quality Never Quits!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialized Armament View Post
    Supposed to be.

I gotta say, this is something that a lot of us have wanted to see for a long time, but I'm not sure if it's not a day late and a dollar short.

Yes, for the guys that want to buy a factory complete rifle I think this is about the best choice on the market right now as I believe the .625" barrel is perfect for the vast majority of users. But with options out and more coming in the lightweight barrel profiles in hammer-forged varieties and other brands giving options that a builder can wind up with other choices and I'm not sure if the 6720 will do well.

Which would be unfortunate. Too many of these large companies like this drag ass getting out what people ask for, the people locate other options and move on, and then when the (too late) factory option comes online it doesn't sell, only to have the corp. bigwigs point and say "see, we told you nobody would buy this!"
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I find it hard to believe that Colt manufactured a new FSB just for this rifle.
    Specialized Armament
    (480) 940-7397
    Quality Never Quits!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Indeed. A new FSB for a niche gun?

Downloads
    Uploads
    IIRC it was supposed to be the FSB from the 6933. Gotta go see if I can find that link.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Indeed. A new FSB for a niche gun?
    While it may be a niche gun, that's more due to the lack of educated consumer than it is a fault of the concept.

Most dealers think that most consumers actually want the M4 barrel, and most consumers think that the M4 barrel is either all that's available or is what they want because it's all they see on dealer's shelves or the dealer tells them it's what they want.

The .625" barrel makes the most sense, hence the gun above would also make the most sense. Even if the FSB from the 6933 isn't a true "F" and the front post has to be higher, it's still a more practical design than a 6920.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Per Clyde Armory, some weights.
    6720: 6.125lbs
    6920: 6.875lbs
    6520: 6.175lbs

Downloads
    Uploads
    My issued patrol rifle 6933 is "F" marked so i dont see a reason this FSB wouldn't be

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have my order in to Cyde for mine, and am really looking forward to them shipping.

I was hoping that they would be shipping with a side mount sling swivel, but oh well.

Niche gun? Only because everyone thinks they need an M4 profile barrel. Umpteen hard users, IBOs, and youth have validated the LW profile time and again.
    --
    News Flash: Your last public defender isn't "your attorney."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 103m 95g View Post
    My issued patrol rifle 6933 is "F" marked so i dont see a reason this FSB wouldn't be
    The FSB on your 6933 does not have a bayonet lug, the pictured rifle does. Colt "technically" does not manufacture a 0.625 diameter F marked FSB with a bayonet lug.
    Specialized Armament
    (480) 940-7397
    Quality Never Quits!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The FSB on your 6933 does not have a bayonet lug, the pictured rifle does. Colt "technically" does not manufacture a 0.625 diameter F marked FSB with a bayonet lug.
    For whatever it is worth, I think that the pictures that are circulating are still just prototype pictures. There were some with a folding ARMS front sight as well, presumably due to the .625/F issue.

I do not believe that any production guns have surfaced yet, so perhaps they will have the lug-less FSB. I would heartily approve of same.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    For whatever it is worth, I think that the pictures that are circulating are still just prototype pictures. There were some with a folding ARMS front sight as well, presumably due to the .625/F issue.

I do not believe that any production guns have surfaced yet, so perhaps they will have the lug-less FSB. I would heartily approve of same.
    Agreed...

While the FSB issue may seem trivial, I wouldn't take pre-orders on a bet for a rifle whose final configuration isn't etched in stone.
    Specialized Armament
    (480) 940-7397
    Quality Never Quits!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I converted my mid 90's 6520 to something similar. At least the real 6720 won't have the crappy sear block. I didn't experience any issues with the sight adjustment.