Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's the top compartment, shadowed with the tools I've gathered so far.....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Quib View Post

Good stuff, Quib

I'm in the process of finishing mine up. Pics will follow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking forward to the update.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In the mean time....here is where my larger parts go:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by devilpig View Post

Very nice!

I haven’t seen a Vidmar since my days working for the airlines!

Can you guess who was in charge of the special tools, and ran this tool room? His name started with Q.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It was a free hand-me-down....it has some issues, but works well enough for my uses.

That blue cabinet looks like a Lista. If only I was made of money all the storage in my house and shop would be made of Lista cabinets.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Quib View Post

Where's the armorers wrench from?
    -Mitch-

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglyduck View Post
    Where's the armorers wrench from?
    DPMS

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quib: I am currently looking for a good torque wrench specifically for my AR toolbox; what've you got there, and how has it been holding up?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigating Collapse View Post
    Quib: I am currently looking for a good torque wrench specifically for my AR toolbox; what've you got there, and how has it been holding up?
    The torque wrench pictured above is a Harbor Freight 20-200 in/lb. I ordered it about 18 years ago when I was a US Army contractor in Germany working on AH-64 Apaches. It’s been sitting in my roll-away now for quite sometime unused, and since I recently used it for a tutorial on installing an Aimpoint, I decided to keep it with my AR tools.

As far as holding calibration goes, I’ve been pretty impressed with it. It passed the calibration program tests required to use it on Army aircraft, and has passed numerous civilian calibration tests over the years at companies that allowed the use of personal calibrated tools.

When it comes to installing barrels, I do not use a torque wrench. Instead I use a breaker bar, armorers wrench, and my calibrated elbow using German torque which is “Gut n’ tight”

Downloads
    Uploads
    When it comes to installing barrels, I do not use a torque wrench. Instead I use a breaker bar, armorers wrench, and my calibrated elbow using German torque which is “Gut n’ tight”
    Funny, this is the answer I keep getting on torque wrenches for barrel installs...

I am NOT comfortable with winging it; mostly because I've never done an upper assembly/build.

Ironically enough, I was eyeballing that very wrench last week. I ended up getting some new safety glasses to replace my old Uvex Patriots.

I've also got this one bookmarked:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...3524_200263524

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by devilpig View Post

That is so awesome, words cannot describe it.

For "big parts storage" I've contemplated everything from an upright/rolling toolbox to a filing cabinet, to one of these:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20107873

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigating Collapse View Post

I am NOT comfortable with winging it; mostly because I've never done an upper assembly/build.
    I do not consider NOT using a torque wrench in the case of tightening barrel nuts as “winging it”.

After doing a couple barrel installs using a torque wrench, I realized I could accomplish the same task safely and with the same results, without the use of a torque wrench.

I’m by all means someone who emphasizes doing things by the book. In my profession, things have to be done by the book, it’s mandated by the FAA. References to the work performed are required, and the proper tools for the job are a must.

But in the case of installing barrels on my personal weapons, for me it boils down to A) previous experience and B) comfort level.

I’ve done enough barrel swaps or installs, that through previous experience I know what would be considered too loose, and what would be considered too tight. I’m comfortable with my level of mechanical experience and feel confident that I can accomplish the task without the use of a torque wrench.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For those who may have an interest in expanding upon the topic, there is a omplementary discussion on workbench configuration and layout, located here.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks to this thread I have a stack of storage boxes from the fishing section of my work place waiting for me to get back to work tomorrow after being paid. I realized that while I might know where everything is, it might be a better idea to keep all of my various AR-15 and M1911 gun parts in one container rather than several.

Quib: Where did you get the AR-15 exploded diagram for the top of your box? I've seen it various places but not one that's really printable. Does someone sell these? I have access to a laminator so all I really need is the image for each side. And any idea who actually made your storage setup? While I don't have that many parts right now, I can easily see myself expanding into something of that size and I'd like to get compatible storage containers. Too many of the ones at work are geared specifically toward fishing.
    Last edited by ColonelColt; 19 March 2010 at 03:48.