Bravo Company MFG (BCM) is well known in the weapon community for their solid weapon components, and we recently had a chance to grab one of their newest 14.5" barreled upper receiver groups for review.

The 14.5" barrel is what is used on the issue Colt M4, and the M4 gas system is of the standard carbine length. Used for years, the carbine length gas system has a few areas that it looses in when compared to a midlength gas system, which pushes the gas block (or Front Sight Base) out an additional two inches. I've been accused of being a little too fascinated with technical details, so I'll touch on a few of the high points of the midlength gas system. The extra 2 inches of gas tube provide for an altered dwell time as the weapon is unlocking, which results in less wear and tear on the weapon, as well as increased relaibility. In addition, it alters the felt recoil to a bit more of a push. I'm not claiming the recoil of the 5.56 is severe by any stretch, but less is always more when you are trying to get rounds on target quick. Especially if that target is shooting at you. The midlength also pushes out the Front Sight Base out farther, and that increased sight radius allows for more accurate shooting for those times when you are using your iron sights.

Below, we will take a walk through of the BCM 14.5" Midlength Upper Receiver with permanently attached flash suppressor (FS). In this case, I'm using some of the given specs off the BCM website, and illustrating those points, as well as commenting on what strikes me as important or interesting.

This thread does not permit comments to be posted directly, please use the below link to visit the comment thread for this topic.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...9140#post19140