Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New forum look?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd be for a limitation on signature size - pages look cluttered fast with huge signatures. Looks great otherwise, I really like the fast reply option
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only problem I have is with the log-in. My user name space is there, but, my password is cut-off and I never know if it has been entered correctly.
    Murphy's Law of Combat #15:

Anything you do can get you shot, including nothing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I have free time I open firefox and then open a block of gun forums at once in tabs. The only webiste that is light text on dark background is this.

I haven't been in here since I wrote my post above, that the new dark background light text high contrast is horrible. I literally open this site with the other book marks and simply don't come in here as I don't like the text contrast etc. The last thing I need at the end of a day is to strain to read a forum.

I can't understand why it hasn't been changed when just in this thread members have said:

Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I'm sorry to be so critical, but this one actually hurts my eyes to look at. The old one was very clean, smooth, and had the right amount of contrast between everything to make it very easy to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    I like the new look, but text is more difficult to read. I can't tell you exactly why but I believe it's a contrast issue. Maybe a lighter background might help?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I'm trying to get used to it, but I have to agree this was a hit against readability.
    Quote Originally Posted by UDT View Post
    Thank you. For me with these old eyes it is harder to read than before it all seems to kind of blend in together for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
    The only real problem I see is little stuff like the colors. They are pretty high contract and if there is red or yellow, or even blue, they can be very difficult to read. Even the white text can be a bit hard on the eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Previously the background was a green, rather than black, and it was more readable. If you look at someone's quote on the previous page with the olive background and white text, it's easier to read than the black background with white text.
    Quote Originally Posted by miczero View Post
    I don't mind the new layout too much and I certainly understand the need for upgrades, but the white text on black is just painful.

The OD background with white text was infinitely easier and more enjoyable to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    Agreed that the black background makes it hard to read and is hard on my eyes. IMO the old color scheme worked very well, the text didn't contrast so hard against the background. Even in the short time posting this my eyes are feeling the strain
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastrites View Post
    Simply put the black background is completely aggravating to the eyes with the associated text. My eye's feel like they are spinning.

I am not sure why, with this obvious consensus, that the text issue hasn't been changed. I can't see how leaving the colors like this makes any sense.

Regards,
    Cameron

Ps. for me the layout if fine, and the content is superb. The text and back ground are the only problem I have. As I have this open it tabs I just flicked back and forwards between here and M4carbines and it is like night an day. Sorry for the criticism, I don't mean to be negative but for a lot of people this is a problem.

Have a look here: http://www.google.com/search?q=white...ack+background

Cam
    Last edited by Cameron; 14 April 2010 at 20:02.

Downloads
    Uploads
    However, most studies have shown that dark characters on a light background are superior to light characters on a dark background (when the refresh rate is fairly high). For example, Bauer and Cavonius (1980) found that participants were 26% more accurate in reading text when they read it with dark characters on a light background.

Reference: Bauer, D., & Cavonius, C., R. (1980). Improving the legibility of visual display units through contrast reversal. In E. Grandjean, E. Vigliani (Eds.), Ergonomic Aspects of Visual Display Terminals (pp. 137-142). London: Taylor & Francis
    This is most likely why I have a big problem as I have a mild astigmatism... Cam

People with astigmatism (approximately 50% of the population) find it harder to read white text on black than black text on white. Part of this has to do with light levels: with a bright display (white background) the iris closes a bit more, decreasing the effect of the "deformed" lens; with a dark display (black background) the iris opens to receive more light and the deformation of the lens creates a much fuzzier focus at the eye.
    Jason Harrison – Post Doctoral Fellow, Imager Lab Manager – Sensory Perception and Interaction Research Group, University of British Columbia

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I am not sure why, with this obvious consensus, that the text issue hasn't been changed. I can't see how leaving the colors like this makes any sense.
    While it might appear that these comments are falling upon deaf ears, the truth is somewhat more complex. The adoption of new/upgraded software made it necessary to alter the theme of the site, and while we are generally pleased with the appearance of this one, it is not an especially simple matter to go back and redefine text field color schemes. We have conducted various experiments along these lines, but most have revealed a host of complications, since a change in one template often has a negative cascading effect upon others. Naturally, none of this is very straightforward, and most of our server/troubleshooting time has gone into making sure that the new coding is stable, and in integrating new features that were not present in our previous format.

We're concerned about readability, of course, and not challenging the science; that said, there are some other considerations in play that may be somewhat less obvious. I don't want to make too much of this, but per our original charter, open discussion boards really only constitute about one-third of the site, with the balance being devoted to informational content and review features. In this, the fact that the revised scheme is atypical for a discussion forum is not entirely a bad thing, as it does give some of our reviews, how-to's and guides a bit more aesthetic prominence than they have had in the past. I would stop just short of suggesting that we're looking to emulate the format or appearance of an online magazine, but the greater integration and visual re-branding have been done along fairly deliberate lines. Among other things, we wanted to do something to lend even greater visual impact to the images that we work so hard to produce, and the new scheme would seem to deliver in that sense.

All well and good, you say, but to what end if I can no longer even read the site? I'm not sure that we have a one-size-fits-all answer for that at the moment, but we are continuing to work on it. None of the earlier comments have been discounted, but some were from newer members who might not yet understand WeVo's larger aims. Some might simply reflect the need to get through an adjustment period, as certain members were taken aback by the sudden change. Some are more likely tied to individual equipment and display issues over which we have no control. Some (and Cam, this likely includes your remarks) don't fall neatly into any of these categories, but are nevertheless the thoughts of members left with the impression that the evolution of the site has actually served to make it less usable.

We're listening, and we've obviously made incremental changes already to attempt to deal with some of your challenges; that said, I'm not sure that we can say with any sincerity that we're looking to roll the site back to an earlier point in time, visually. WeVo remains a work in progress, and we're obviously not happy that the step forward has left some feeling ambivalent -- or even openly disappointed -- but I would expect to see a succession of small adjustments from this point forward, rather than anything too revolutionary all at once. This theme, or some permutation of this theme, is our current baseline, and that is not something that we can easily change.

We have no wish to be inflexible or unresponsive, but the most effective comments at this point will be those which tell us how we can make the existing scheme better, rather than those with call for the return of what might have gone before. I'm not suggesting that anyone has ventured too far down that path, but the challenge now is to look ahead, and not back.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    AC, can you add any "canned" vB skins for us to use while you work out the new scheme?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Selectable canned skins would be an excellent stopgap - but I'd still focus on stability before that.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC