Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New forum look?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the vBulletin better then what was being used before. It sort of bugged me when you went into a topic and the nested path got longer and screwed up the page formatting.

The only real problem I see is little stuff like the colors. They are pretty high contract and if there is red or yellow, or even blue, they can be very difficult to read. Even the white text can be a bit hard on the eyes. I agree with others that the active/inactive thread indicator is also difficult to read. Maybe choose a lighter red or lighten up the background. The background image probably isn't helping since it's striped and forces the eyes to adjust to the pattern.

So what am I saying, less contrast between the extremes in colors would help.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to agree with Jeffy. Previously the background was a green, rather than black, and it was more readable. If you look at someone's quote on the previous page with the olive background and white text, it's easier to read than the black background with white text.

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK this is horrible, change it back.

Cameron

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I recommend using google for this. In the search field put the terms you want to find, followed by site:http://www.weaponevolution.com. Google works better than any search functionality built into forums if you're searching for terms and don't need to narrow it down to a specific user name or section.
    Thanks! I've used the Google Custom Search and Google Site Search feature on other web sites but I didn't know about the way you described.

Konrad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I have to agree with Jeffy. Previously the background was a green, rather than black, and it was more readable. If you look at someone's quote on the previous page with the olive background and white text, it's easier to read than the black background with white text.
    I definitely agree with this. I don't mind the new layout too much and I certainly understand the need for upgrades, but the white text on black is just painful.

The OD background with white text was infinitely easier and more enjoyable to read.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A major issue I'm having is with the forum and search view. Please, please, PLEASE - move the "started by" information to another column somewhere to the right of the topic titles, or at least indent them a few inches. Right now it's a big jumble that's very difficult to read, almost painful.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Staff will probably hunt me down for this, but I did a few quick photoshop jobs. I do not have any photoshop skills to speak of, so forgive me if these aren't very high quality. :)

First one gets rid of the red wevo icon to indicate a forum section with new posts. Instead, use the existing white fade for "new posts," and then use a grayed out wevo icon to indicate "no new posts."

Next is an example of what you see once you're within a sub-forum. Again, get rid of the red wevo icons, using the white fade for "unread," and grayed out wevo for "read." Also, I shrunk down the text size for the "Started by...." line. This combination makes perusing the thread titles much faster in my opinion, much like the old forum.

Last, in this example of a thread being viewed, I took the background from Cameron's post and switched it to the same color as the quote bubble background. The black background is actually too much contrast, but the olive background is much easier on the eyes, while still retaining enough contrast for easy reading. I don't necessarily think using the exact same color as the individual post header is the best idea, but this just illustrates the point about color contrast.

Also, I agree with HeavyDuty. The search function does produce an extremely hard to read list.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks better with the faded Wevo new/old posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The icon re-tooling is obviously still a work in progress, but we're doing what we can ...

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    OK this is horrible, change it back.

Cameron
    Are you talking about the entire theme (which we can't really change back), or the black text box (which could potentially be changed back -- or, at least, modified a bit)? Just want to make sure we understand what you were responding to.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Agreed that the black background makes it hard to read and is hard on my eyes. IMO the old color scheme worked very well, the text didn't contrast so hard against the background. Even in the short time posting this my eyes are feeling the strain

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do like the Tapatalk integration. I think that's a step forward.
    I don't have problems with the contrast, but I can see others might.

Some of the bright colors of the ads don't blend in well with the site's colors and kind of distracting.. but I like the new Rainier Arms small logo on the left.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryo View Post
    I do like the Tapatalk integration. I think that's a step forward.
    Appreciate the feedback.

Not sure who else may be using it, as I get the impression that we're still the odd men out in this respect, but I've been greatly impressed by the ability to port a nearly full-featured version of the site to a mobile device.

Perhaps the other iPhone, Blackberry, Android and Nokia users just have yet to get the word.

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know a couple of people who use Tapatalk to check forums. I wished more forums do. I suggested it. Makes it easy to maintain my subscriptions and my mail. If I can run from computer, I would, but handheld when I have connection elsewhere.. priceless to me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Simply put the black background is completely aggravating to the eyes with the associated text. My eye's feel like they are spinning.