Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As far as your points on the Remington and Mossberg, I pretty much agree.
    For pistol gripped shotguns, the Remington is the way to go. Some stocks make it difficult to operate the slide release on the Mossberg, and without a CavArms large safety slider it can be difficult or awkward to reach the tang mounted safety. For conventional stocks, the controls of the Mossberg work better for lefties, or if you want to be able to operate them without having to significantly change your grip.
    I've seen some 870 lefties either buy a left handed safety conversion ( you used to be able to do it without a dedicated trigger group IIRC) or they will claw underneath the trigger guard to reach the safety which isn't that great.
    The first Mossberg example you indicate as a 590 is actually a 500; looks like you just typed it wrong. The 590s all have magazine clean out tubes with the Remington-like mag tube cap.
    The picture you linked to is actually one of the 500 series.
    It will usually have the end cap and screw design you show. However, there are some 500s that have the mag tube cleanout type arrangement such as the second one you linked to.
    All of the current production 590 models (standard and A1 types) with the 9 round capacity come with the bayonet lug. The smaller capacity 590s do not have the lug.
    If you go with the 6 round 590, you can add an aftermarket extension to being it up to 9 or more rounds. If you have an 835, you can use 590 extensions with it.
    As far as the plastic safety being an issue, it has been for quite a few. If the underside of the plastic slider wears to the point that the detent doesn't engage, you will have to disengage the safety after every round fired. I've seen it happen with skeet guns as well as some of the 590s. I'd rather just buy the $10 slider and install it and not have to worry about it ever.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm heading out to dinner but wanted to clarify briefly: Lately Mossberg has started calling some of their "tactical" 500s 590s, I think this is in reference to the fact that they have a 590 style barrel and magazine tube on them. I agree about the safety being better placed on a Remington for pistol grip use. However, I don't think this is as important as I don't believe constantly switching the safety on and off is going to be a factor: You'll either be in a dangerous situation shooting or not shooting (with finger off trigger) or have the gun on safe as you're not carrying it at the ready. I honestly wish Mossberg would introduce a secondary trigger pack with a push button safety or a safety lever in the front of the trigger guard much like the M14's. These are just my opinions however.

I am curious M24shooter: What's reliability like on the 930 tactical with different types of ammunition or with ammunition in general? I only really have experience with the 935s which I find to be too bulky and heavy but then, those are super magnums which I'm not fond of for tactical work to begin with. I like Benellis but I'd rather shell out the cash on my ARs than getting one M4.
    Last edited by ColonelColt; 30 March 2010 at 23:37.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelColt View Post
    I'm heading out to dinner but wanted to clarify briefly: Lately Mossberg has started calling some of their "tactical" 500s 590s, I think this is in reference to the fact that they have a 590 style barrel and magazine tube on them.
    That matches what I've seen. Some of the Tactical Cruisers, Mariners, etc with the mag tube cleanout arrangement resemble the 590 but are called 500s.
    I agree about the safety being better placed on a Remington for pistol grip use. However, I don't think this is as important as I don't believe constantly switching the safety on and off is going to be a factor: You'll either be in a dangerous situation shooting or not shooting (with finger off trigger) or have the gun on safe as you're not carrying it at the ready.
    I think that depends on your training and methodology. I keep the safety on until I'm pretty much ready to shoot. I like the tang safety on the Mossberg as it is a simple matter of pushign the thumb forward or pulling back, even shouldered. I like the Remington with an enlarged safety as it can be manipulated with the index finger outside the trigger guard and laying alongside before the index finger is moved to the trigger without any extra movement. Disengaging it is a little more awkward with reaching underneath the trigger guard with the middle finger to put it back on.
    I honestly wish Mossberg would introduce a secondary trigger pack with a push button safety or a safety lever in the front of the trigger guard much like the M14's. These are just my opinions however.
    Well, they do have the Maverick trigger assembly. It will work with the 500/590.
    I am curious M24shooter: What's reliability like on the 930 tactical with different types of ammunition or with ammunition in general? I only really have experience with the 935s which I find to be too bulky and heavy but then, those are super magnums which I'm not fond of for tactical work to begin with. I like Benellis but I'd rather shell out the cash on my ARs than getting one M4.
    I haven't had any problems with mine. It seems that if you start out with loads in the 1250-1300 fps range and work down, they are fine. Some have required a break in period, but I have had no problems with FedTac and Remington LE loads, and I've used the light game loads for practice without any problems. The only stoppages I've had have been from cheap WalMart packs that I bought back in the late 90s.
    The gun shoots rather soft and smooth, and if I'm shooting for a protracted length of time I can feel the bolt start to slow down as the fouling builds up. At that point all I've done is squirt CLP into the reciever with the bolt open and then onto the bolt body with the bolt closed and it has gone right back to working without problems.

Downloads
    Uploads
    FWIW, I have a 590 model 50665 and a 930SPX. If you're wanting to keep it low cost, go with the pump. I was attracted to the 50665 for the SpeedFeed stock (as you seem to be), but I'll say that in hindsight, part of me wishes I would have gone with a standard. The LOP is a little long on the SpeedFeed, and I personally think I would have been better served with a little more money still in my pocket and a shorter stock on my gun. Additionally, 2" doesn't seem like a lot, but I find 18" shotguns to be a lot more handy than the 20" 50665 (I'm not a very big guy - YMMV)...

The 930 is a REALLY fun gun, but mine has some quarks that I'm sending it back to Mossberg to work out. Considering the price point, I'm willing to live with a couple weeks of down-time if the factory can make it right. Previous posts that debate the virtues of pump vs. semi are spot on - I'd go with the semi all day long unless you have specific needs for a pump gun. I'd pony up $200-300 more now for the semi-auto if I were doing it all over again for the first time - you will thank yourself in the long run.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm really starting to seriously look at a 930, from what people are saying. It seems like it's a much slimmer and lighter gun than the supermag semi-auto Mossbergs I've handled. I ended up getting the speedfeed stock on mine for $20 from a guy who bought his gun with it new and put a pistol grip on it. Good deal, but otherwise I'm not sure it would be worth the money and it does make the gun longer.

Speaking of 18" guns, my old High Standard Riot Gun with the bayonet mount I made for it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So I handled an 870 again this weekend and I'm considering it again. At this point I am looking at these two shotguns..

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/56472

and

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/46998

or

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/46284

ideas? opinions?

Downloads
    Uploads
    rock the DD..................... well I would if I had a need for another shotgun. Love my 870, but picked one of this guys up a few weeks ago and said "I have to get one."

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/w...le-defense.png

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...le_defense.php

Zombie killing reliability at its best, and its tactical. Aimpoint and flashlight, funny
    Last edited by Wallace; 4 April 2010 at 22:25.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd get the Mossberg without the heat shield on it, honestly. I know it looks neat but it simply adds weight and it's a pain to clean under it if it gets in the mud so unless you're rapidly shooting a lot, it's not necessary. A lot of guys end up taking theirs off. And it means it's much easier to put ghost rings or whatever sights you might want on it later. Make sure you pick up an M7 to go with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wallace, I think you just found my next truck gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    rock the DD..................... well I would if I had a need for another shotgun. Love my 870, but picked one of this guys up a few weeks ago and said "I have to get one."

Zombie killing reliability at its best, and its tactical. Aimpoint and flashlight, funny

Its funny you mention that shotgun as my friends were trying to convince me to buy one over the weekend. Its a really neat looking shotgun and if I already had a shotgun I'd have walked out with one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Break actions are reliable and simple but they do limit the versatility of your shotgun usage, that's my only concern with them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, the only thing that kept me from buying it the other day was honestly the fact that you are stuck with 2 rounds....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post

My shoulder still hurts from that nasty lil side by side ....... damn i love that gun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Remington 870 is a solid reliable shotgun. Any of the top pick such as Mossberg, Beretta, & Benelli would be a good pick, they're all well made. Beretta and Benelli being more pricer. If cost was the factor-less then a grand-between 400-500, a Marine version 870 with ghost ring and sidesaddle would be my choice with the Benelli M1, M2 or M4 as the my second. I use the Remington 870 and Benelli M1 at work, the 870 being the work horse and can be modified with lights and assorted parts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The after-market parts industry definitely favor the 870 if you wanna play with it down the road.