Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you buy a Remington, get an 870P for the added reliability mods and QC procedures applied at the factory.

If you buy a Mossberg, get a 590A1 for the same reasons. Note that I specified 590A1, not a 590SP or other 590 variant.

If you're a lefty, I'd lean toward the Mossberg for the more lefty-intuitive controls.

Others in the 870 and 590/500 lines are built for sport/rec/commercial use. They aren't junk or unserviceable, but they aren't optimized for heavier duty use. With the 870P and 590A1 being little more money, there's really no reason not to choose them.

If neither the 870P or 590A1 are available, I'll take another 870 type. I maintain a bunch of Mossberg shotguns. The 500s don't go the distance the 870s and 590A1s do.

Whatever you buy, I recommend an XP mag spring and high visibility follower. If you buy a Mossberg, esp one with GRS, it's especially important to remove, degrease, loctite, and then reinstall all screws. An XP mag spring, or frequent OEM mag spring replacement, is a must with the Mossberg. Also, you will want to keep a set of extra extractors and extractor springs if you shoot it a lot.

I'm not into semi-auto scatterguns, but I do like the 11-87P and Jungle Gun (9300?) in that role. The Benellis are Cadillac if you've got the money.

Hope that helps.
    --
    News Flash: Your last public defender isn't "your attorney."

Downloads
    Uploads
    So I was offered this 870 Police Magnum with all these accessories for $775. Never shot.. just some safe wear. Seems like a great deal..

Opinions?

http://www.youtube.com/user/GunWebsi.../9/niFdqMWL-sQ

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Surefire forend alone is worth a few hundred, the Mesa shell holders aren't too cheap either... If it does in fact come with all those goodies, that would be hard to pass up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I picked up my woodstocked Police Magnum 870 used for $250.

The accessories may add up, I have never priced them myself. Then again, I like my shotty simple. Factory rifle sights, a sling and a single round extension.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - - Albert Einstein

Downloads
    Uploads
    $250 for a police magnum!? wow.. killer deal!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilio84 View Post
    $250 for a police magnum!? wow.. killer deal!
    I'm sure it was pure luck. It was on the rack at Gander Mountain mixed in with all the other used 870's. All were priced the same.

I think someone overlooked the police rollmark. Great deal for me though.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - - Albert Einstein

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I ended up grabbing an 870 Tactical (with ghost ring sights). Now to tear it down, clean it up, and bring it to the range to break her in.

Anyone care to recommend a good light? I like the idea of the surefire forend lights but they seem a bit bulky. Opinions?

What about sidesaddles? I was looking at the mesa tactical ones but I'm not sure if there are better options out there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The two I have rigged for HD are both Remington, only because they started life as hunters and they handle well for me. I think ColonelColt has one of the best replies to this thread. His comments are well thought out, and detailed.

If I had it to do over again ...

Anyway, a picture of the 1187 is below. Twenty inch "Deer" barrel with rifle sights, Choate 8 shot extension, TLR-1 with remote, 4 shot side saddle and 5 shot buttstock shellholder. I keep it with five 2 3/4" 34 pellet #4 buckshot in the tube, chamber empty, four 3" 15 pellet 00 buckshot in the side saddle, and five slugs in the buttstock shellholder. The 870 Wingmaster is similarly configured, but still has the walnut on it.

NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Picked up a used 24" barreled Mossberg 930 a couple weeks ago for $400, have since added a +5 Nordic extension, GG&G front sling plate(the 870 plate fits perfect), and Gear Sector sling (have the fixed stock adapter on the way...)

I would go with a shorter barrel if you want it for home defense, but I'm setting this one up for comp, so the longer barrel just lets me put a longer mag tube underneath, and the added accuracy is nice.
    No major issues with light field loads either, and recoil even with 1oz. slugs is not all that bad.
    SWEET MHI Patch....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just an update on what I went with.

Started with an 870 Tactical Express with Ghost Ring Sights...

Added:

Surefire 618LF Forend Light
    Mesa Tactical Magazine/Barrel Clamp (allows for QD swivel use and rails should I choose to add them down the line)
    Mesa Tactical Sidesaddle (6 shell)
    Vang Comp Big Safety (red line painted)
    Scattergun Technologies Hi-Vis Follower
    Midwest Industries Sling Adaptor (loop style. Right handed)
    Gear Sector Sling Adapter
    Hogue 12" LOP Overmolded Stock