Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Part One and Two: Lucid HD7 RDS review is up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting... seems to be a well thought out design.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for a great initial review Quib! I am completely new to the world of RDS optics and am trying to absorb all the info that I can and am very anxious to read your range report.

What are your comments on the included mount? Ease of installation, sturdiness, secure to the rail? Are aftermarket mounts compatable (LaRue, etc) the HD7?

Very good reticle pic! Is this considered a 1/3 co-witness? Would you use this optic with the rear sight up or down?

How does the Lucid compare to other optics you've used? Pros? Cons? I'm not familiar with Lucid products, but it does not seem to be as popular a brand name as Aimpoint, Eotech, etc? Again, this may be my lack of experence showing through.

Thanks again.......................
    Ranger325

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger325 View Post
    Thanks for a great initial review Quib! I am completely new to the world of RDS optics and am trying to absorb all the info that I can and am very anxious to read your range report.

Thanks, I’m glad you enjoyed Part One of the review.

What are your comments on the included mount? Ease of installation, sturdiness, secure to the rail? Are aftermarket mounts compatable (LaRue, etc) the HD7?

The included mount is sturdy, and installs in a similar fashion to the standard Carry Handle sight. Aftermarket mounts though are not compatible with the HD7 since the mounting base is an integral part of the whole optic frame assembly and houses the battery compartment. A QD feature though did come to mind during my initial review of the sight, but most likely would increase the end price of the optic.

Very good reticle pic! Is this considered a 1/3 co-witness? Would you use this optic with the rear sight up or down?

The sight as I mentioned in the review, offers the shooter a lower 1/3rd co-witness. In the event the optic were to go down for any reason, the BUIS could then be deployed and used.

How does the Lucid compare to other optics you've used? Pros? Cons? I'm not familiar with Lucid products, but it does not seem to be as popular a brand name as Aimpoint, Eotech, etc? Again, this may be my lack of experence showing through.

Lucid is a new company to the optics scene, but the President of the company is not. More background info on Lucid can be had by following the link at the end of the review.

As far as comparing the HD7 to the Aimpoint M2 or ML2, as well as the EOTech series of optics, the HD7 shares some similarities. Reticle wise, the HD7 has a 2MOA single dot similar to the Aimpoint, and a 2MOA dot within a circle, similar to the EOTech. With the HD7, as with the EOTech, no addition mount need be purchased. One advantage the HD7 has over both Aimpoint and EOTech is the fact that the built-in mount provides a lower 1/3rd co-witness for those that prefer it.

Thanks again.......................

My pleasure. There will be more to come with Part Two.

Quib

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good stuff!! Thanks Quib............................
    Ranger325

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great review and photos. The high profile adjustable turrets are very unusual for a RDS. I'm concerned that they would inadvertently get knocked out of adjustment during hard use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Great review and photos.
    Thanks Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    The high profile adjustable turrets are very unusual for a RDS. I'm concerned that they would inadvertently get knocked out of adjustment during hard use.
    VALDADA went with high profile adjustable turrets on their Rapid Deployment Sight. Are we seeing a new trend perhaps?

http://www.valdada.com/product/81e63...725b2093a.aspx

Downloads
    Uploads
    A couple of questions for you, Quib -

1) Lower 1/3 can be a bit variable. How much of the front sight wings are you seeing when you sight the irons through the RDS? Can you see the flat at the base of the wings? Your reticle pics seem to be taken from a higher eye position.

2) Can the turrets be zeroed?

3) What's the eye relief like with the magnifier?

4) How critical is eye placement with the magnifier?

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally Posted by HeavyDuty 
    A couple of questions for you, Quib -

1) Lower 1/3 can be a bit variable. How much of the front sight wings are you seeing when you sight the irons through the RDS? Can you see the flat at the base of the wings? Your reticle pics seem to be taken from a higher eye position.

I’ll need to take more detailed photos. I plan on doing this in Part Two of the review.

2) Can the turrets be zeroed?

No, they can not be zeroed.

3) What's the eye relief like with the magnifier?

I plan on covering this in detail in Part Two of the review at which time I can actually use the optic under range conditions.

4) How critical is eye placement with the magnifier?

Again, I plan on covering this in detail in Part Two of the review at which time I can actually use the optic under range conditions. The review currently posted is only an introductory review. Part Two will go into range specific/actual useage details.

Thanks!

Quib

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks - I look forward to part 2!

Downloads
    Uploads
    As I mentioned in Part One, the reticles were not easy to photograph in my shop, under the lighting conditions I had, so I will attempt to take better reticle shots during the photo shooting for Part Two of the review.

I went back through the series of photos I shot for Part One and although I’m not happy with this photo, it might convey for the time being how the lower 1/3rd co-witness looks through the HD7.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think what I'm seeing in that picture is the bottom of the RDS tube (the larger radius curve at the bottom) - if that's the case, it looks very usable. I've seen some setups advertised as lower 1/3 that are actually more like lower 1/5, all you can see of the front sight when using the irons is the tip of the post.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It’s not an easy task to photograph a lower 1/3rd co-witness and capture it exactly how the shooter will see the sights through his own eyes. I personally see no problems with the 1/3rd co-witness that the HD7 provides.

Here is an outdoor attempt at some reticle photos.....

Downloads
    Uploads
    you're camera hates the HD7 :)

it looks like the different reticles are slightly off axis from the target, is this adjustable?? when you were cycling the different reticles i almost wanted to turn my head slightly so the crosshair reticles were square to the alignment of the scope and target.
    Dynamically Scaled Oblique Flying Wing!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-eTXIyYYQ

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by willardcw4 View Post
    you're camera hates the HD7 :)

it looks like the different reticles are slightly off axis from the target, is this adjustable?? when you were cycling the different reticles i almost wanted to turn my head slightly so the crosshair reticles were square to the alignment of the scope and target.

The reticles are in alignment with the optic itself. There were variances between the optic mounted on the weapon sitting in my maintenance stand, and the angle of the tripod and camera.

Given the equipment I have on hand to work with, providing a perfectly aligned video representation of the optic from the shooters view point is impossible. My sole intent with the video is to demonstrate the various reticles and features of the HD7.

If the reticle of the HD7 was internally off axis, I certainly wouldn’t have went forth with reviewing the optic, but would have promptly returned it to the mfgr.