Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The-S

I appreciate your interest in the HD7. However, it would be a nightmare if I opened LUCID up to a subjective return policy.

Now, if you order one and there is a legitimate issue with the HD7 you purchase, I will be happy to make the situation right.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting.

Without ever having the opportunity to use any RDS, I've had issues dropping the coin on "maybes" (T1/H1). This, however, may just fit the bill on the current SBR build, without kiling the budget either.

I'd defnitely like to see your impressions with the 2x magnifier. Thanks for the write up!

S

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm impressed. I have a Gen 1 Aimpoint from the '70's, and what I see here is typical of the state of the art that exists today.The price point isn't a budget buster as many of the milspec optics are.

It may not have 50,000 hours of battery life, but it does use an AAA, and that's my current power platform with EDC lights, etc. It uses a typical bolt and plate mount, throw levers aren't impossible, but on a casual shooter/hunting rifle, really unnecessary. It cowitnesses, the dot looks usable, it'll do minute of deer or hog. It has rubber armor, I have an older 2X fixed that does, it's user friendly. Major impacts, we don't know yet, but it would be expected that in this price range it's been dragged down the driveway to see. No optic should be expected to survive if the conditions are really abusive. Glass breaks. As long as the lens mounts and LED remain secure, it should do.

This is exactly where I've been seeing the market needs to go, so now I have to either put up or shut up . . .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tirod,

Thank you for the honest impressions. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, it seems like there isn't ONE complaint here about Mr. Wilson's HD 7. Here's the first one.....I just received my LUCID HD7. I installed it on my AR and when I look through it I see the inner workings of the Reticle Turret protruding into the view area. The hardware is protruding into the reticle from the 8 o'clock position to the 10 o'clock position ! This obscures the view area on the left side of the reticle.

I called Mr. Wilson immediately and he answered "that's normal". Oddly, in your review here any and all pictures of a view sighting through the reticle showed a completely clear, and unencumbered, 360 degree view through the reticle. There were no turret mechanisms protruding into the view area of the reticle.

Perhaps Mr. Wilson was having a bad day. Instead of offering to refund my money or try to give me a better explanation of this unusual circumstance, he simply answered: "That's normal". Well not in my optic sight book it's not. I replied that such a reticle is literally "garbage" and he told me to have a nice day as he hung up on me.

Perhaps I have a defective HD 7. However, according to Mr. Wilson, I do not. In that case the pictures here depicting a view through the reticle are less than accurate and are actually deceiving. I suggest an accurate picture of the view through the reticle be depicted and a clarification from Mr. Wilson that what one sees on this review is not an accurate depiction of what one sees through their own device.

Great way to treat a customer who took a chance on a new company. Then again, the sight is made in Red China. I should have known better.

Guess I'll go back to TRIJICON. One gets what they pay for.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I covered the LED emitter showing in the FOV in post #10 (10 April 2010 17:46) under the Range Review.

With a firing position just slightly aft of NTCH, a very faint shadow of the LED emitter was noticeable on the left side of the FOV. Not overly distracting, moving in tighter, the FOV increases and the shadow fades from view.
    This was my personal experience. As far as “hardware” showing from the 8 o’clock position to the 10 o’clock position on your sample of the HD7, I can not comment, as this is not the case with my T&E sample of the HD7.

As far as my review of the HD7 goes, I feel I covered the optic pretty extensively. You will not find a more thorough HD7 review on the internet to date. If you feel it’s lacking or incomplete I apologize. But nothing was withheld or retracted. I covered exactly what I observed. Nothing more, nothing less.

I can not comment on Jason’s customer service ethics or the experience you say you had speaking to him. This he’ll have to answer to for himself, if such a conversation took place.

ETA: As far as photos not depicting the shadow I mention in the review, this shadow can be seen in the photos illustrating the four reticles on page one of this thread. The HD7 is not an Aimpoint. It is not an EOTech. It has an eye relief which must be kept in mind, or as I mentioned, a shadow or silhouette of the LED emitter can be seen. Mount the optic further back on the upper receiver, adjusting it to your particular requirement for eye relief, and as I pointed out, you’ll see the emitter fade from view. Then you should experience a FOV as depicted here, and in my review.

If you have legitimate input, positive or negative, or questions regarding the HD7, that is what this thread is for.

What I will not stand for, is disrespect or trolling with the sole intent of bringing discredit to Mr. Wilson, Lucid or the HD7.

Downloads
    Uploads
    DanG,

Again, I thank you for your interest in LUCID and the HD7, and am sorry that it did not meet up to your expectations.

Since you have taken this discussion public, I am obligated to defend myself and my reputation.

When you called me to voice your disappointment you were VERY agitated and aggressive. When you explained the issue to me I simply said, that "what you are seeing is the housing which the holds the LED emitter and reticle control mechanics, this is normal on red dots." When I explained that the clear FOV you are referencing from reviews on line is with the 2x magnifier attached. You then attacked me, my company and the product by calling it garbage and telling me that you are going to return it because "That's Garbage" and you hung up as I was wishing you a nice day.

Like I have explained to you several times already, the clear field of view you are referencing is with the 2x magnifier attached to the optic. This is because the optical focal point moves out past the mechanics to achieve the 2x magnified view.

As for the reviews on line, I have little to no control over them. They are NOT solicited, paid for or controlled by LUCID in any way. This is what makes them "independent reviews".

I have done my level best to be calm, responsive and honest with you during this conversation. It appears that you are angry and for that I apologize for LUCID's part in that.

However, please try to understand, we are talking about a 1x optical red dot sight. If you look at other red dot sights you will find this type of loss of field of view is not only normal but common across all brands, as it is a functional aspect of how red dots work.

I do take pride in my customer service and my product and feel that in this case, myself and LUCID have not done you any disservice in customer care.

You make reference to my failure to offer to refund your money, well sir you did not purchase the HD7 from me directly, you purchased it from GunKings.com. They took your money, they are the ones that will need to deal with your refund.

If you are unhappy with the product for a functional manufacturer defect issue I am more than happy to make this right.

Again, I thank you for your time and wish you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by DanG View Post
    Well, it seems like there isn't ONE complaint here about Mr. Wilson's HD 7. Here's the first one.....I just received my LUCID HD7. I installed it on my AR and when I look through it I see the inner workings of the Reticle Turret protruding into the view area. The hardware is protruding into the reticle from the 8 o'clock position to the 10 o'clock position ! This obscures the view area on the left side of the reticle.

I called Mr. Wilson immediately and he answered "that's normal". Oddly, in your review here any and all pictures of a view sighting through the reticle showed a completely clear, and unencumbered, 360 degree view through the reticle. There were no turret mechanisms protruding into the view area of the reticle.

Perhaps Mr. Wilson was having a bad day. Instead of offering to refund my money or try to give me a better explanation of this unusual circumstance, he simply answered: "That's normal". Well not in my optic sight book it's not. I replied that such a reticle is literally "garbage" and he told me to have a nice day as he hung up on me.

Perhaps I have a defective HD 7. However, according to Mr. Wilson, I do not. In that case the pictures here depicting a view through the reticle are less than accurate and are actually deceiving. I suggest an accurate picture of the view through the reticle be depicted and a clarification from Mr. Wilson that what one sees on this review is not an accurate depiction of what one sees through their own device.

Great way to treat a customer who took a chance on a new company. Then again, the sight is made in Red China. I should have known better.

Guess I'll go back to TRIJICON. One gets what they pay for.

Downloads
    Uploads
    - Thanks Jason for the response.

- I plan on taking the HD7 out again in the near future. On this trip I intend to mount it on my carbine, and do some work with the 2X magnifier. At this time I'll attempt to take more reticle photos with and without the 2X.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking forward to it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pics are now posted.

See original review for updates.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quib, thanks for the update. While noticeable, I wouldn't call it an obstruction by any means.

In the pics showing your position in relation to eye relief, with the magnifyer it appears you're quite close. Is that compensating some for the shadow of the emitter, or is it really that short. Also, how comfortable were you with the performance with the mag?

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are correct, moving in closer was to compensate for the shadow. With and without the magnifier, eye relief is important. This optic, the eye relief required, and where the optic is mounted on the weapon, is more along the lines of a scope verses a red dot such as the Aimpoint or EOTech.

Without the magnifier, one can move in closer to the optic, reducing eye relief, which eliminates the shadow of the LED emitter.

With the 2X magnifier installed, one can move in closer to the optic, reducing eye relief, which reduces the shadow of the LED emitter. I could not move in close enough to totally eliminate the shadow. A small silhouette of the LED emitter was always present.

The 2X magnifier is a nice feature. It performed as I imagined it would. Personally, I preferred to shoot without it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In searching further reviews on the internet, another post elsewhere mentioned that the factory that built the Lucid also built the Vortex and Bushnells, and supplied components for Eotech and Aimpoint. It bears some research, but it's the same with a lot of other industries, including bottling oil for cars, or tires.

I'm not suggesting these optics are at all equal, it doesn't make them at all the same recipe, QC standard, or even marketed in the same store. I am suggesting that those who support quality products aren't wrong, buy once cry once does have some justification. Please try to express it in terms of Mean Rounds Between Failure, instead of code phrases for class warfare.

It should be as informative to the Aimpoint owner (I have a Gen1) as a Lucid owner that components for either may be coming out the freight door side by side, just like I have seen oil coming off the same machine in five different competive brands. IIRC there's just three antifreze factories in the US, my store sells at least six brands of that.

Competitors are a lot more dependent on suppliers than the general public wants to know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks good. Wish the turrets had caps.
    As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also.
    Thomas Jefferson
    The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
    Samuel Adams

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quib, your reviews are great, very informative........

sorry to drag up an oldish thread, newbie here

any chance of someone posting the overall length of the unit as well as the length of the mount?

I am trying to figure out if I can mount the HD7 with a sightmark 3x magnifier in a sightmark flip to side mount on my A3 upper

any help would be great!