Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

New guy looking for advice on his first build

Hey everyone... new guy here . I stumbled across this site and it has been amazing when it comes to information gathering. I have wanted an AR for quite some time now and after my friend built his a couple weeks ago I figured I'd give it a go. My build list is below and any advice would be great!

Lower - Mega Machine Gator- Received
    Upper - Mega machine w/ M4 cuts- Received
    Charging Handle - BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 - Received
    LPK - DPMS with Bill Springfield 4lb trigger job - Received
    Grip - Magpul MIAD Full Kit - Received
    Stock - ARFX ACE Entry Stock - Ordered
    Buffer/Spring - JSE Surplus Carbine Spring and Buffer - Ordered
    Barrel - Daniel Defense 16" Mid, CHF, 1:7 twist - Received
    Gastube - Midlength - Received
    Gasblock - YHM Low Profile Block - Received
    Rail System - Daniel Defense 12" Lite Rail - Received
    BUIS - Troy Battle Sights (M4 Style Front Sight) - Ordered
    BCG - BCM Complete Auto BCG - Received
    Compensator -PWS FSC556 - Received
    Misc - Magpul BAD
    Misc - KNS Mod 2 Anti Rotation Pins - Received
    Misc - Molon Labe Spartan Helmet Engraved Dust Cover - Received
    Misc - DPMS 1" stock extension
    Misc - Daniel Defense Lite Rail Barrel Nut Wrench - Received
    Misc - 1" Buttstock Pad - Received
    Misc - Shop Service (ADCO to Dimple Barrel and Pin Comp) - Sent
    Misc - Rail Covers (prolly going with Magpul XTM or Tango Down)
    Misc - Sling + Adaptors - Gear Sector?

Hard Case -
    Range Bag -
    Eye Protection -
    Hearing Protection - Peltor Sport Tactical
    Lock Box - ?
    Last edited by Emilio84; 10 February 2010 at 18:14.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Youre pretty much GTG fromwhat I see on your list. As for the hammer forged barrel, it's subjective. from a practical standpoint, are you going to be shooting quite a bit? classes and all? Would you realistically benefit from its features? If so then it may be the route to go but then again, the standard ones are GTG too for the above applications.
    Rail length will depend on shooting style, IMHO, placement preferences of lights, grips etc... Some need it, and some dont necessarily. Since you already have a low pro GB, I would suggest going no shorter than a 10". That way you'll have more room to find what works for you and also give you a longer sight radius.
    If I may ask, why that stock though? No experience with it personally so I cant say it is or isnt good but since this is your first build, I would get a good adjustable stock. That way you have 5 - 6 positions to choose from to find what works for you.
    Judging from your current choice, may I assume want something slim and solid? The Magpul CTR should work perfectly. Slim and locks up solid with its friction lock feature. Also comes a rubber butt pad which I also see on your original option.
    Vltor also offers very good stocks--ones what would allow for both a slim or wider cheek weld config.
    Last edited by Gator; 28 January 2010 at 21:34.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info. Just a bit more info on what I am looking to achieve with this rifle. It will not be a HD or Duty weapon. I am a civi so primary use is range time and hopefully a couple carbine classes.

In terms of the amount of shooting I am doing.. well I don't know yet. What I was really asking was if there would be a tangible detectable difference on my end. On a build like this $70 to upgrade my barrel isn't going to blow my budget... at the same time though I'd rather not get to that point of diminishing returns where i am paying hundreds of dollars for tiny differences in material/construction.

For hand guard length I originally was thinking 11" but since there is no cost increase started considering the 12" for the reasons you mentioned above (sight radius and mounting options). With the FSC being a bit longer I'm hoping it'll look good.

And as for why I am picking that stock it really boils down to NYS laws. The NY AWB is still in effect and because of this I am required to buy a fixed stock. Now, I could pin a collapsible but I'll be honest and say that I am just not comfortable with that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your list looks good considering your local laws. (Personally I'd move!)

If you're going with a midlength, I'd go with the 12" LaRue and cover the gas block. Just my opinion.

Are you doing the build yourself? Fairly easy and straightforward as long as you have the (correct) tools and know how. Tools like the barrel wrench, and front take down pin install/removal tool, and know how like using the correct spring behind the plunger for your bolt release. Use the wrong one and you'll have to drill the plunger out. Leave the spring out from underneath the disconnector and you'll have an inadvertent/intermittent (unreliable) auto.

Without a doubt it's fun, easy, and you can say you built that rifle. Whatever you can't do, hopefully your local gunsmith can. Remember some parts will be under spring tension and having extra springs, plungers, pins are always a good thing.

Have fun, don't put an eye out, and don't forget to post pics.

If you have any problems, PM me. I am on the other side of the world, (Afghanistan) so it may be a few hours before I can respond.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh ok, now that makes sense. Sorry, about that... I completely overlooked the fact you were from NY.
    Just curious, how short can you go with regards to stocks? Does it have anything to do with your rifles OAL? or is it a separate deal?

About your barrel, if it were me in your case then I would just go ahead and get the HF one. Value for money is good currently (as price is lower than usual). but to go back on point, hammer forging seems to be a more precise method from what I understand which in turn should generally mean a more accurate barrel. Also, being a more precise method, it can result in more accurate barrels if intended to(tapered bores). I personally have no experience with one yet so cannot attest as to whether or not it is in fact more accurate generally speaking and minus the tapered bore feature.
    Check out this link. http://technology.calumet.purdue.edu...No_%207%29.htm

Downloads
    Uploads
    SDDuc996 - Hah! I'd move to a free state if I could but I'm tied down with work for now. One day I'll move back to a state that trusts me to have a real evil black rifle

- 12" rail seems like the way to go based upon the advice I keep getting on this build.

- I will be doing the build myself. I'm an engineer by trade so I should be able to figure it out but expect about 1000000000 questions throughout the build. I will definitely post lots of pictures though so that should make up for the questions.

- Thanks for the info and, considering your current location, for protecting my few remaining rights. Keep your head on a swivel!

Gator - For the stock I can go as short as I want as far as I know. I think the law is similar to the rest of the country (min 16" barrel and 26" OAL) but I have to double check.

These are my current barrel choices:

BCM Std Barrel

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...d-16%20std.htm

BCM Cold Hammer Forged

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...d-16%20bfh.htm

BCM 1:8 SS410 Barrel (same price as CHF barrel.. heavier?)

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...410%2016-8.htm

Daniel Defense Hammer Forged

http://www.pkfirearms.com/content/1/20/121/162

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=s...product_id=154

Only concern with the DD barrel is the PK site says midlength but the DD site says m4 profile (carbine gas system?)...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ya, Ive heard of the DD middy but have yet to see it on their site. You could try emailing them. They're quick to respond to customer questions.
    Personally, I wouldnt go the stainless route. A bit more tedious to maintain I hear.
    Have you looked into Centurion Arms? Hammer forged as well, with all the proper testing and all plus a tapered bore.
    Oh ok, but you cant have an adjustable stock regardless of being within the legal OAL?
    I know youre not too keen on having it pinned but the Vltor Emod appears to be quite long and you may be legally safe with it pinned at closed position. Just a thought.
    As for your assembly process, feel free to ask. Im sure a handful of the guys here can do it in their sleep and will have loads of info for you.
    As for me, Ill help out as best as I can. Dig up info here and there should you need something. Just let me know.

SDDuc996 -- Stay safe. I know it's not my thread but it's good to see a member willing to help even from all the way there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Ya, Ive heard of the DD middy but have yet to see it on their site. You could try emailing them. They're quick to respond to customer questions.
    Personally, I wouldnt go the stainless route. A bit more tedious to maintain I hear.
    Have you looked into Centurion Arms? Hammer forged as well, with all the proper testing and all plus a tapered bore.
    Oh ok, but you cant have an adjustable stock regardless of being within the legal OAL?
    I know youre not too keen on having it pinned but the Vltor Emod appears to be quite long and you may be legally safe with it pinned at closed position. Just a thought.
    As for your assembly process, feel free to ask. Im sure a handful of the guys here can do it in their sleep and will have loads of info for you.
    As for me, Ill help out as best as I can. Dig up info here and there should you need something. Just let me know.

SDDuc996 -- Stay safe. I know it's not my thread but it's good to see a member willing to help even from all the way there.
    Thanks guys. Always willing to help people learn about guns/gun safety.
    As long as they're not total douchers that is.

Like Gator said email or call DD. They're making their own barrels now and I really liked their operation when I visited them. Great bunch of guys.

Make sure you buy the right tools for the job before hand so you're not waiting for one to show up. Barrel/Stock wrench is one of those.

On another note, just shot the 13" SCAR H at the range the other day with the ODA. Not too bad. Still not a SCAR fan though.

Good luck on your build bro.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Go with Oakley eyeware-they offer prescription eyeware, hard case-you're spending alot of money, get a good sling and use BCM charging handle #4-medium. Sounds good, get plenty of ammo and have fun, take some carbine courses

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tac40 View Post
    Go with Oakley eyeware, hard case-you're spending alot of money, get a good sling and use BCM charging handle #4-medium. Sounds good, get plenty of ammo and have fun, take some carbine courses

Good eye wear and hearing protection is a must, and is well worth mentioning. WeaponEvolution.com and Military Times are starting a review of new eyewear, but its a project that is going to take months to complete. I'll post more info about it in its own thread.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a note, I picked up a 16" DD mid length from BCM not too long ago, it was hammer forged, chromolined everything I wanted in a bbl. I think BCM pinned the front sight with the gas tube on it though (maybe even came from DD this way), which again is what I wanted. When I got mine, BCM also had the stripped DD midlength bbls also.

I am still piecing mine together so I cannot say how it shoots yet , there is a gunshow this weekend so I hope to pick up what I need to finish it off.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is of course a decent enough barrel. However, if you want to add some uniqueness and durability, look at the Centurion barrels (Noveske N4), Rainier sometimes has them, and there is a guy on AR15.com that had a few new ones for sale. The rail- I would strongly consider the DD Lite over the Larue.
    I like the MEGA uppers and lowers, they are machined well, and have a good Teflon finish. If you look around, you can sometimes find upper/lower matched sets in the forged models also.
    Last edited by missiontrails; 29 January 2010 at 18:12.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Good eye wear and hearing protection is a must, and is well worth mentioning. WeaponEvolution.com and Military Times are starting a review of new eyewear, but its a project that is going to take months to complete. I'll post more info about it in its own thread.
    Ooh, I look forward to this review being a full-time eye wear user.

emilio - looks like a good start and you're certainly in the right place for good opinions!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by missiontrails View Post
    That is of course a decent enough barrel. However, if you want to add some uniqueness and durability, look at the Centurion barrels (Noveske N4), Rainier sometimes has them, and there is a guy on AR15.com that had a few new ones for sale. The rail- I would strongly consider the DD Lite over the Larue.
    I like the MEGA uppers and lowers, they are machined well, and have a good Teflon finish. If you look around, you can sometimes find upper/lower matched sets in the forged models also.
    +1 on the DD Lite. A bit more expensive, but I love the way they lock up and feel, not to mention the continuous top rail. I'm a fan of DD products and believe their rails to be one of the best.