Thread: AR15 Variants

Downloads
    Uploads

Arrow AR15 Variants

What are people's favorites? I'm talking about 556's, not AR Variants like the AR57. Any thoughts on the Daewoo DR-200? How about the SIG556? And then there's the over the top ones like the FN Scar and the HK416...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I suppose the first order of business here is to establish just what is/is not an AR variant. For example, if we say that a bolt-on upper like the AR57 is not, but a bolt-on upper like the HK 416 is, then what is our determining criterion? Caliber? Operating system? Compatibility with existing AR magazines?

Then we have to consider whether or not something like the ACR is a variant (likely so), and if that logic extends to something like the SCAR (likely not). The SIG 556 and DR-200 are really in a different class, design-wise, so perhaps the more instructive question is simply this: which of the currently available rifles which have a similar form factor to the AR are favored by those in membership here, and why?

I suspect that most of us at WeVo continue to have the greatest involvement in dealing with more of less "pure" AR-15 designs; especially since there is so much diversity in the market right now. You can change operating systems. You can opt for different gas systems. You can select from a variety of calibers. You can optimize for the close-in fight, or you can build a SPR for precision work that strikes at the outer limits of the 5.56x45's effective range. You can build dedicated 7.62x51 models. You can experiment with .50 BMG single shot uppers -- and, should you wish to, you can even convert your AR into a crossbow.

None of these really conform to your definition, but the point is that with so many possibilities just within the realm of the AR itself, it isn't immediately clear what is meant by the term "variant," per your opening post. Are we just talking about other contemporary competing designs of whatever design or manufacture?

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Any thoughts on the Daewoo DR-200?
    An interesting design that was vaguely a meld between an AR and an AK and it was unfortunately imported for only a short period of time. The thumb-hole stock and fake flash-hider are ridiculous, but made it importable at the time. It uses standard M16 magazines, but otherwise lacks much in the way of parts interchangeably and the Daewoo parts are virtually unavailable. I am told, but have not confirmed, that an AR FCG will drop in. This system had all kinds of potential, but was doomed due to import regulations. I still have one, but it gets minimal use.