Downloads
    Uploads

Help with Chest Rig

First of all let me say hi, first post and I'm loving the site! Looks great and put together in a very professional way, I like it a lot.

Ok, now for my inquiry.

I'm looking to purchase a new rig, but I can't decide on which avenue I would like to pursue. Adjustable rig to be used over armor? or a vest that will incorporate a plate carrier. This also leads to chest rig/vest as well. With so many options and different manufacturers I'm having trouble breaking it down to exactly what I'm looking for.

Now let me say that this rig will be used for training as well as personal practice, and to keep things less costly and more efficient, I would like it to also be suitable for in the field use; buy once cry once instead of buying multiples trying to fit multiple roles.

As far as chest rigs I really like the design and layout of the BCM 03 rig. The biggest downside to this setup though in my eyes is the lack of 6 AR mag pouches, 4 isn't normal load out and I would like 2 more. Also, overall it doesn't seem to be very expandable as my needs change. But I must say that I like the system overall, minus these shortcomings. The other obvious thing is the lack of a carrier, but I could always incorporate armor under it.

My other choice is a full MOLLE VEST to be modified to my liking that is also capable of carrying plates for additional protection should the rig be needed outside of normal day to day work. This way I would be able to get everything I need exactly how I want it, and would have the option to add plates in the future. I really like the Eagle offerings, but like I said before, the vast number of choices is daunting.

Any advice from ya'll, or experience would be appreciated. Like I said, to be used in training/personal practice and would like to be adaptable to field work.

*Disclaimer - Just wanted to add that I am not an officer yet, but the day is fast approaching. Don't want to come off as something I'm not yet and discredit myself from the get go.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So you're looking for something for LE use, but are wanting to carry 6 mags plus other gear?

what is your level of experience with the carbine right now?

here is the system I'm using for whatever it's worth. You may notice that it only includes two mags, which may not meet your "load out" requirement.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    So you're looking for something for LE use, but are wanting to carry 6 mags plus other gear?

what is your level of experience with the carbine right now?

here is the system I'm using for whatever it's worth. You may notice that it only includes two mags, which may not meet your "load out" requirement.

That is an interesting combination of equipment and is something I hadn't really thought about.

I don't think that the six mag requirement is too outlandish. I'm just trying to have the space and the ability to change things up as I go, I don't need to carry every piece of equipment on the rig at once. I'm primarily looking for an active shooter style rig that affords me the space I need to carry the equipment I need, I'm just torn over whether to pursue something with an integrated plate carrier, or something that would be worn over armor I would already be wearing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're going to be uniform LE you should be wearing your soft concealment armor anytime you're in uniform. Given that, I'd suggest a carrier that adds a plate only and a couple of magazines.

IMHO 6 magazines actually is pretty outlandish for most purposes, especially without any experience on which to base that need. I have a friend that's a cop and he thought carrying around all manner of support gear for the rifle was great until he got stuck on a call out holding perimeter security for 8-10 hours standing there with all that crap and the rifle.

I'd say start small and build as your training and experience dictates, and with feedback from more experienced officers wherever you are going to be working. If I was working somewhere that I thought I needed 6 carbine magazines as my standard loadout I'd look for another job.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with Rob, carrying around 180rds of rifle ammunition only makes sense in a war zone, and at that it's not very fun. For LE or civilian uses, no more than four (included one in the gun), 120rds is on the high end of what makes sense, while a couple 20rd and one 30rd would get the job done quite well.

You could go with as little as an Eagle Patrol bandoleer, but if you're adding a hard plate over concealment armor, then the Eagle MPC, DBT FAPC, or Paraclete SOHPC are good choices.
    For standalone chest rigs, the Eagle LE like Rob's, or going all-MOLLE such as the SKD or TT MAV would work.
    For pouches, the BlueForce Gear 10-Speed triple magazine shingle, or the other triple shingles from TT, Specter, or Maxpedition will work. A utility and/or dump pouch makes sense, and provisions for carrying water can be a consideration based on climate, and including GSW/Trauma FAKs is a good idea as well (to include tourniquet).

Budget, and if you're panning on running hard armor plate will make the biggest difference.
    For now, I'd wait, and keep gathering input. Rob's suggestions are great, but you'll still want to weight other opinions so you feel most comfortable with your purchase when you finally make it.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC