Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

ST-T2 Heavy Buffer (by Spikes Tactical)

Nice forum you fellas have here.

I have a Stag 16" Carbine length AR. Im thinking about getting one of these buffers. Not sure if I should. Im wanting to improve my follow-up shots. Would this help in any way? Or am I thinking out of my butt?

Thanks Casey

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use one in my duty carbine, and use some in my training weapons also. I am very happy with them.

How much of a difference it makes to YOU is going to be heavily dependent on how in tune you are to the weapon, as well as any other changes you make. I notice a difference, but I know guys who do a fair amount of shooting that can;t tell at all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I dropped one in my carbine a few days ago. (There's a video in here somewhere...) Like Stick said, depending on how in tune you are with the gun, it can make a difference. In theory it slows down the cyclic rate of the action and spreads the recoil impulse over a slightly longer span of time, reducing the perceived recoil (think "push" not "kick") and make the gun feel more stable.

For $30 it's worth giving a try if you want to get faster follow-ups.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. That's what I was wanting to know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The ST-T2 weighs somewhere in-between the H and H2 buffers. Depending on the size of your gas port, length of your gas system, carrier weight, action spring, and ammo used, this extra weight may cause cycling problems that will result in failures to extract and/or failures to lock the bolt back on an empty magazine.

Heavier buffers may result in a change of feel of the recoil impulse, but remember that for every action there is an opposite reaction, and the buffer has to go forward and slam the bolt home too, and extra weight is going to change how that feels as well. Many 3-gun competitors actually run lighter carriers and buffers and work on the amount of gas the system is getting instead.

Either way, even though it's only $30, I think you need to be able to identify a limitation in your stock system before looking for accessories to add or change (this applies to all parts). If you're running various par-time drills like the modified Navy Qual, the Vtac drills that can be found on youtbve, etc. and you're finding that you've reached a plateau, then maybe I'd consider parts like these.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I love mine! Very quite too......
    By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy otherwise known as "THE BEAST."

Downloads
    Uploads
    As stated by Rob, the ST-T2 is not a true "H2" buffer. The granulated tungsten used in the buffer is not as dense as the tungsten slugs found in traditional H series buffers. While it may be better than any standard buffer, a true H2 buffer shouldn't be overlooked.
    Specialized Armament
    (480) 940-7397
    sales@specializedarmament.com
    Quality Never Quits!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine just has the standard buffer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialized Armament View Post
    As stated by Rob, the ST-T2 is not a true "H2" buffer. The granulated tungsten used in the buffer is not as dense as the tungsten slugs found in traditional H series buffers. While it may be better than any standard buffer, a true H2 buffer shouldn't be overlooked.
    Do you think the tungsten powder in the ST-T2 buffer provides for smoother cycling verses the tungsten weights of a traditional H buffer making metal to metal contact with each other during cycling?

I've shot the Spike's piston upper with the ST-T2 installed, but have yet to drop the ST-T2 by itself into my carbine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Quib View Post
    Do you think the tungsten powder in the ST-T2 buffer provides for smoother cycling verses the tungsten weights of a traditional H buffer making metal to metal contact with each other during cycling?

I've shot the Spike's piston upper with the ST-T2 installed, but have yet to drop the ST-T2 by itself into my carbine.
    I would imagine that the tungsten in the Spikes product contacts the buffer body just as the slugs do. No, I do not believe tungsten powder models provide any improvement in performance. The ability of the tungsten granules to shift at the proper time is limited. It simply can't instantaneously shift inside the buffer like the slugs can. Think of water in a test tube tipped on its side.

If you like and believe in the product great but don't say it works just as good based on anecdotal evidence. Show me the money. There is quite a bit of engineering and science behind the traditional H buffer models. Granulated tungsten in a buffer is noting new. HK experimented with it for years. I would be quite surprised if the HK IAR automatic rifles are using buffers manufactured with granulated tungsten.

Granulated tungsten is cheaper than tungsten rod, suffers from volumetric/density limitations and doesn't make a cool sound when you shake it your hand...
    Specialized Armament
    (480) 940-7397
    sales@specializedarmament.com
    Quality Never Quits!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is the buffer completely full of granulated tungsten or is there some space to allow the tungsten to move around? If it is completely packed full then I would think it would act like a solid and not move back and forth and would be less beneficial than a standard buffer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialized Armament View Post
    I would imagine that the tungsten in the Spikes product contacts the buffer body just as the slugs do. No, I do not believe tungsten powder models provide any improvement in performance. The ability of the tungsten granules to shift at the proper time is limited. It simply can't instantaneously shift inside the buffer like the slugs can. Think of water in a test tube tipped on its side.

If you like and believe in the product great but don't say it works just as good based on anecdotal evidence. Show me the money. There is quite a bit of engineering and science behind the traditional H buffer models. Granulated tungsten in a buffer is noting new. HK experimented with it for years. I would be quite surprised if the HK IAR automatic rifles are using buffers manufactured with granulated tungsten.

Granulated tungsten is cheaper than tungsten rod, suffers from volumetric/density limitations and doesn't make a cool sound when you shake it your hand...

Thank you Sir for the reply.

Using your example of water in a test tube, I figured the powder would provide for a smoother recoil seeing that powder, much like liquid used as an energy absorber, would react differently to the recoil verses the metal to metal contact against each other that traditional solid carrier weights would have.

I was under the impression that powder as a weight, was sort of a compromise between the traditional solid buffer weights, and the hydraulic action offered by buffers such as the Enidine AR-15 buffer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Is the buffer completely full of granulated tungsten or is there some space to allow the tungsten to move around? If it is completely packed full then I would think it would act like a solid and not move back and forth and would be less beneficial than a standard buffer.
    The ST-T2 is not completely filled with tungsten powder. Without disassembling the sample I have from Spike's I am not sure of the exact amount of space present, but the powder can be heard when the buffer is shaken.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The fact that guys buy these things because the coventional buffer makes some noise is curious.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The fact that guys buy these things because the coventional buffer makes some noise is curious.
    Lack of knowledge.

How many times have we seen the question asked about something loose in the stock or in the buffer itself.