Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Quib View Post
    The ST-T2 is not completely filled with tungsten powder. Without disassembling the sample I have from Spike's I am not sure of the exact amount of space present, but the powder can be heard when the buffer is shaken.
    That makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The fact that guys buy these things because the coventional buffer makes some noise is curious.
    I guess if I sat around shaking my buffer then the sound may bother me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wasn't buying it because of noise. Im pretty sure the round being fired makes more noise.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualspringfields View Post
    I wasn't buying it because of noise. Im pretty sure the round being fired makes more noise.
    I don't believe anyone here was implying that you were.

There have been those new to the AR, who hear the weights bumping against each other inside the buffer, and automatically assume there is a problem.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The fact that guys buy these things because the coventional buffer makes some noise is curious.

Regarding changing out a buffer for less noise, thats simply obscene.

I don't think the ST-T2 works any better than the H2 buffer, but it works similar.

Another way to look at the powdered tungsten is like a dead blow hammer.

At the end of the day, you need to make sure that ANY modification, especially a buffer will ensure your carbine run reliably with the ammunition you use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Another way to look at the powdered tungsten is like a dead blow hammer.

Good example Stick! Very similar design to the dead blow hammers filled with lead shot to prevent bounce-back.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I love mine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had to mess around with springs and buffers to find a combination that would work in a suppressed and unsuppressed mode in my 12.5" SBR. The Spikes T-2 and Sprinco "Blue" spring seems to be the magic bullet.

a 9mm buffer and "Red" spring wouldn't lock the bolt to the rear when unsuppressed. With normal buffers and springs the bolt outran the magazine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Quib View Post
    I don't believe anyone here was implying that you were.
    Indeed. I've read the comment made on Barfcom a lot. Not pointing fingers at anyone here at all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No problem. I was having a bad day. Sry.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I absolutely love mine that I have in my duty rifle. It has made a noticeable difference in the noticed recoil...and yes, no more ball bearing noise is heard, though that was never really an issue.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most (most) .223 cal carbines will run with a standard H buffer, H2, H3, ST-T2, Enidine hydraulic, 9mm buffers, and even rifle buffers. With some of these the guns are running "in spite" of the buffer, rather than better compared to the H buffer. A .223 carbine gun that is tuned and running well, could run with a 9mm buffer but not better. You will get more bolt bounce because it is not designed or weighted to properly (tuned) cycle. A ST-T2 might have some quality features vs a H2 doesn't but will probably run, reliability speaking, the same. Some may be able to tell the sound or feel of the ST-T2 vs the H2, but honestly I can't. My 14.5" carbine will run fine with a standard H buffer, H2, ST-T2 and the rifle buffer. I did try the rifle buffer just because someone said it would work. All that being said, my gun has a the spikes buffer and I sold some of the other one. My justification to use the Spikes ST-T2 is it sexy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CLICKBANGBANG View Post
    My 14.5" carbine will run fine with a standard H buffer, H2, ST-T2 and the rifle buffer. I did try the rifle buffer just because someone said it would work.
    So am I understanding you ran a rifle buffer in a carbine with a collapsible stock?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CLICKBANGBANG View Post
    My justification to use the Spikes ST-T2 is it sexy.
    Can't argue with that!
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    i had swapped my factory M&P buffer with a RRA 9mm. it made a big difference in felt recoil, but of course changed the ejection pattern from around 4 o'clock to around 2. i have since swapped the 9mm for the T2 and they seem very similar. The ejection pattern is about the same and so is the felt recoil impulse. i have not had any reliability issues with any of them and i'm sticking with the spikes. i'm not sure what weight my factory buffer was since i gave it to a friend that needed a replacement.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I probly wouldn't have bought one, but it came with my upper and I figure (assume/hope) that spikes intended the two to work together well. In some limited shooting back to back with the stock carbine buffer, and me being an AR newb, I did feel a difference. I keep coming to the term solid to describe it, but that's pretty vague. The dead blow analogy makes sense, especially after watching that vid online of bolts bouncing that I can't remember where I saw it.
    From a mechanics point of view having some weights with plastic between them in a tube banging around seems somewhere between un-elegant and silly, but it obviously works. If it's idel or "good enough" I can't say.
    Is the regular buffer part of the original design from way back or a cost cutting mass production measure?