Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm down to 157.5 lb and lost 2" off my waist.

With the crossfit, I'm at the point where I am using the RX weight (prescribed weight) and I'm keeping up with the Big Boys.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Doing the programming as RX'd is no small feat. Nice work, looks like you're getting closer to your goals as well.
    -Mitch-

Downloads
    Uploads
    We just finished up the month long primal challenge in which we had to eat only Paleo approved food. It was great and found a ton of new recipes. I'm down to 155lb and lost a total of 4" off my waist. I'm starting to see some definition now. Now that I have the nutrition and workout down, I just have to keep up with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just an update. I'm still going strong. My weight has settled down between 154-158 range. My wife is amazed that I eat so much and not gain any weight. My wife, who just had a baby on January 11th, has been following the Paleo Diet since she had the baby, and has lost around 25 LB's. She is planning on doing CrossFit with me in about 3-4 more weeks. Some of my other co-workers have also jumped on board with Crossfit and the Paleo Diet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Paulo_Santos,

Great to hear your routine is working for you, and you've kept your motivation strong! We're starting a Crossfit routine here, so hopefully we can enjoy similar success when compared to yours. I will be recommending the Paleo Diet!

- Cannon

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Cannon. A couple more co-workers jumped on board.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just an update. Still going strong with CrossFit. I actually have added a strength program to improve my strength, which I definitely needed. My cardio was already good, so the added strength will help with the workouts even more. I tried the 70's Big Program and Conjugate CrossFit and am currently doing a mixture of the two right now. My weight is holding steady at 158-160 and I'd actually like to bulk up, but it is actually hard to put on weight and maintain it eating Paleo. Never thought I'd have that problem. LOL. I even gave in and bought a pair of those 5 toe shoes. Can't even begin to explain how I feel wearing them, but they work as advertised. LOL.

My wife has also jumped on board and has been doing CrossFit and eating very Paleo like for almost a month to loose the baby fat.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the update, Paulo!

Not to hijack the thread, but for those of you in LE -- are any of you aloted time to workout during work hours?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by triplebravo View Post

Not to hijack the thread, but for those of you in LE -- are any of you aloted time to workout during work hours?
    Not at this point, but the department has been talking about a pilot program, allotting around an hour during our shift to workout. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice.

As for CrossFit and Paleo, I have been doing both for about a month and I LOVE IT!!!! I feel better, I am stronger, have more endurance, and have dropped some excess weight. It is a great way to go for any LE/FF/MIL in the business.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by triplebravo View Post

Not to hijack the thread, but for those of you in LE -- are any of you allotted time to workout during work hours?
    Sorry I missed this somehow. We are not allotted any time, officially, but some of our supervisors allow us to leave a few minutes early to work out if we aren't too busy. I only know of a few departments that allot time for working out. I workout before work and it works best for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by zero7one View Post
    Not at this point, but the department has been talking about a pilot program, allotting around an hour during our shift to workout. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice.

As for CrossFit and Paleo, I have been doing both for about a month and I LOVE IT!!!! I feel better, I am stronger, have more endurance, and have dropped some excess weight. It is a great way to go for any LE/FF/MIL in the business.
    That's awesome. Keep us posted.

Downloads
    Uploads

Crossfit/Paleo Diet

I haven't taken to Crossfit as of yet, but I did start the Paleo Diet 3 weeks ago. Man do I feel better. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. More alert, more energy... I've also dropped 5 lbs and 1" off my waist.

I read the Paleo Diet by Dr Loren Cordian before I started and learned a lot of great info. Having suffered from Kidney Stones, this gave me a lot of information on how the diet can prevent them by balancing acid and alkaline levels. That will prevent clacium loss through my urine. Hopefully that will prevent future stones from formiing.

You may have helped save me from a great deal of pain. Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodman24 View Post
    I haven't taken to Crossfit as of yet, but I did start the Paleo Diet 3 weeks ago. Man do I feel better. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. More alert, more energy... I've also dropped 5 lbs and 1" off my waist.

I read the Paleo Diet by Dr Loren Cordian before I started and learned a lot of great info. Having suffered from Kidney Stones, this gave me a lot of information on how the diet can prevent them by balancing acid and alkaline levels. That will prevent clacium loss through my urine. Hopefully that will prevent future stones from formiing.

You may have helped save me from a great deal of pain. Thanks!
    That's awesome. I'd you need extra calcium, check out the Almond Milk. I get the Blue Diamond Unsweetened Vanilla (40 calories). Great for smoothies. There is no magic to feeling healthy. Everything starts in the kitchen. You eat like shit, you will feel like shit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a great article: http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/

Skinny Fat
    by Cody

Disclaimer: I have been getting a ton of questions about this topic from both inside and outside the gym, from lots of different people, so this isn’t directed at anyone in particular. Although, if this topic resonates with you, take the time to read it. This post is more a psychological and analytical approach to body image, Sean has the scientific approach in the comments.
    One of the most difficult things to fight as a coach is the thought that “Lifting weights is going to make me ‘bulk up’” from women. My first response is to shake my head and contemplate shoving my hand in a toaster to cure the frustration… Yet, when I stop and think about it, I honestly like the way CrossFit makes my body look. And I know there are many of us in the gym that wouldn’t be as enamored with CrossFit if we didn’t see aesthetic results in combination with fitness results, so I do think it is a valuable question that needs to be answered.

The first thing you need to do is look around the gym at girls that have been CrossFitting for a long time. If we created “bulky bodies”, you would see them at CFSB. All the above are CrossFitters that have been with us a long time… Strong, not bulky, don’t you agree?? (Sorry for not including all our awesome girls, but I only went back three pages on flickr).
    Definitions and Misconceptions:
    To begin, we need to address some misconceptions about how the body works…
    You cannot “tone” a certain portion of your body. Your body will not lose fat in one spot at a time, it will only lose fat. Thus, you must reduce your overall body fat percentage to see results in the area you want. This is why the “ab-(insert attention-grabbing verb)” you see on TV won’t work to help you get a better midsection.
    Lean – having little to no surplus fat - Thus, to look “lean”, you need to have low levels of body fat.
    Toned – seeing muscle definition on a human body - Thus, to look “toned”, you need to have low levels of body fat combined with having enough muscular development that you can see the shape of the muscle under the skin. This is usually accomplished at below 20% body fat on women, and below 10% on men.
    You will never “bulk up” overnight, except from maybe an ice cream and beer binge (guilty). You will never wake up one morning, look in the mirror, and realize that you just built bulky muscles in your sleep.
    First, I want to establish that having muscle doesn’t mean being bulky…
    The first thing you need to do is compare these two women:

For reference, the girl on the left is a runway model and the girl on the right is an elite CrossFit athlete. Both have approximately 12-15% body fat. Both are doing something they love, and the bodies they have created help them do that.
    On the left, we have a runway model who has almost zero muscular development while also having almost zero fat deposits. She has enough essential muscle to not fall over walking, but not much more. If you want to look like the woman on the left, sorry, but we cannot help you get there. Although, if you have an apple and a cigarette a day for about a year, you could get close. It supposedly worked for Christian Bale in the Machinist. However, CrossFit South Bay will not help you create that type of body.
    The female on the right has spent years developing her strength and muscle. She has battled heavy weights and pushed herself to the limit to squat, deadlift, and lunge heavier weights every time she comes into the gym. She weighs approximately 35-40 lbs more than the runway model due to the large amount of muscle that she has acquired. She is likely approaching her genetic limits in the amount of muscle she can develop without going on a bodybuilding routine. Between her and the runway model, there is likely very little difference genetically, yet there is a huge difference in training and diet (more on this shortly).
    Same elite CrossFitter, now dressed up, still bulky??
    Thus, you can have a large amount of muscle without ever looking “bulky”. Don’t you agree??
    Now that we know that muscle doesn’t make you “bulky”, what does??
    Well, the answer is fat. Excess adipose tissue will result in less than satisfactory aesthetics. This is regardless of the amount of muscle you have. This is easily seen in the image below:

The image above shows a female figure that has a large amount of fat, while having a very small amount of muscle. This is described in the fitness community as “skinny fat”. While not overly “bulky” she doesn’t have the aesthetics that most of us work so hard to attain. The woman in this image is likely at a level close to 30% body fat and likely has a similar amount of muscle as the runway model. So even though she may look fine wearing a sweater, it is a different story at the beach.
    The trick is how to fix this. Well, option 1 is to eat less and do tons of cardio, surviving on a diet heavy with running and light on food, and you will end up looking more like the runway model above. Option 2 is to develop muscle to burn away the excess fat while doing cardio, resulting in looking more like the elite CrossFitter above.
    Ok, so we have started to establish that building muscle isn’t a bad thing, right?? Yet, you are afraid that by squatting and deadlifting, you are making your legs and butt bigger, thus getting more “bulky”, correct??
    Here is the kicker, the reason your legs (and shoulders and arms and back) are getting a little bigger is that you have now started to add some muscle to them. Now, that muscle will burn more calories, starting to help whittle away at the amount of fat you have on your body, even while you sleep. You now are able to achieve that “lean” and “toned” look, as your body fat levels have decreased, and your muscle is starting to show, giving the “toned” look.

Bad cardio and worse cardio…
    Some people keep saying to be leaner they just need more cardio and less strength. Well, yes, if you just do “more cardio”, you will lose more fat, but you would also lose muscle because without strength training, your body burns muscle as well as fat. So, instead of looking more like a Victoria Secret model, you start to look more like a runway model. Then, once you stop doing “more cardio” you will gain fat even faster now that you don’t have the muscle to burn the extra calories, resulting in the “skinny fat” look. You can see this in ex-athletes that have tried to “get leaner” by doing “more cardio” only to result in having more fat with less muscle.

Skinny
    vs
    Strong

This can also happens as we age, as the muscle we built by running, jumping, and playing in our childhood and teens atrophies due to under-use with a more sedentary life, so people in their early twenties are seen as having “high metabolisms”, supposedly not having to work to maintain lean body shapes. This “high metabolism” is because the muscle they built in their teen years is burning excess calories and fat, and with the low body fat levels, you can see their “toned” muscle underneath. However, as they take day jobs and do not stimulate their bodies, their muscles atrophy, burning less calories and thereby lowering their “high metabolism” and leading to increased body fat as they age. Usually, people try to do “more cardio” to regain their lean, toned bodies that they had when they were younger. However, since they do nothing to build new muscle or maintain their current muscle, they slowly transition to a thin, but “skinny fat”, look as they age.

Train like an athlete…. Look like an athlete…
    Most people can agree that they want to get “toned” and “lean”, but have you ever asked someone that was “toned” and “lean” what they have done to get that way?? You should, because almost every athlete I know that looks “toned” and “lean” has spent years working to develop strength, power, speed, endurance, and stamina for a sport. They move HEAVY weights quickly.
    Lastly, you will never be able to create muscles like a man lifting weights.
    A WOMEN THAT LOOKS LIKE SHE HAS MUSCLES LIKE A MAN HAS LIKELY TAKEN STEROIDS!! This is the defined truth, a woman’s muscle development is much different than a man’s. Unless a woman has a very different genetic make-up (a very, very small portion of the population), or does bodybuilding type workouts, specifically designed to increase the size of the muscles, it is almost impossible to build muscle like a man. (And, as much as you might think it is true, you only have a 1 in a million chance of being the 1 in a million that has the different genetics, so stop saying, and believing, it)
    This is because males have 20-30 times the testosterone of women, resulting in deeper voices, more body hair, and more muscle development. Women just physically cannot build muscle like men can, sorry but it is a scientific fact. Some of the maximal amounts of muscle you can put on a female frame with CrossFit training can be seen below. These are women that built their bodies using sports and strength training.

An extremely high level of muscle on a female will look like the pictures above, but again, only with many YEARS of weights training and a focus on a clean diet.
    So, lastly, just to clarify, “bulky” means fat. Which does not happen when you work hard at CrossFit South Bay!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    As for my progress...I have lost about 15 lbs since Easter...lost about 1" from my waist...and gained about 1.5" to each thigh. I guess all of the CF squats have paid off. I'm not really concerned with how much I weigh, rather how much strength and endurance I gain.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram