Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by zero7one View Post
    As for my progress...I have lost about 15 lbs since Easter...lost about 1" from my waist...and gained about 1.5" to each thigh. I guess all of the CF squats have paid off. I'm not really concerned with how much I weigh, rather how much strength and endurance I gain.
    That is real good. CF has a lot of leg/core/complete body movements. There is no wasted motion and you won't see any bicep curls.

With me, I was and still am pretty weak compared to most others, so I added a strength program to help me with the Olympic lifts. My cardio was already great, so I can sacrifice some cardio until my strength improves.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not really concerned with how much I weigh, rather how much strength and endurance I gain.
    This is an excellent attitude and approach to fitness in general. If your focus is on performance and appearance is secondary you'll be much happier with your results, especially being an athlete who relies on your body at work. Vanity shouldn't be a measure of fitness, and thankfully it isn't in the CrossFit culture.

Paulo,
    Have you taken any certs. yet?
    Last edited by Uglyduck; 9 June 2011 at 14:15.
    -Mitch-

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglyduck View Post
    Paulo,
    Have you taken any certs. yet?
    Not yet. I'm going go check into it after the summer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Vanity shouldn't be a measure of fitness, and thankfully it isn't in the CrossFit culture.
    I've been married for 11 years....the need for vanity was gone a long time ago. LOL
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    That's awesome. If you need extra calcium, check out the Almond Milk. I get the Blue Diamond Unsweetened Vanilla (40 calories). Great for smoothies. There is no magic to feeling healthy. Everything starts in the kitchen. You eat like shit, you will feel like shit.
    Good info on the almond milk.

What's interesting is that need to consume so much calcium (think of how many things are calcium enriched) could be due to the fact that so many people are excreting high levels of calcium due to the acid/alkaline imbalance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a quick update...I have lost 25 lbs since starting CrossFit and Paleo right after Easter. I have never felt better and I will not stop. I have more energy and strength than I have had for years.
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a quick update...I have lost 25 lbs since starting CrossFit and Paleo right after Easter. I have never felt better and I will not stop. I have more energy and strength than I have had for years.
    Nice job. Are you going to an affiliate or are you just doing it on your own? Ever since I switched to a strength based CrossFit programming (Conjugate CrossFit), I'm finally getting bulky and stronger, along with maintaining my cardio.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm going to an affiliate. I will never be able to go back to a regular gym. I have some stuff at the house for the days that I can't make it to the box, but the options are limited.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm going to an affiliate. I will never be able to go back to a regular gym. I have some stuff at the house for the days that I can't make it to the box, but the options are limited.
    That's cool. I have basic stuff at home so on my days that I don't work, I can get a good workout at home.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Paulo, anything happen with your department becoming an affiliate?
    -Mitch-

Downloads
    Uploads
    Paulo, anything happen with your department becoming an affiliate?
    Our chief just retired, so it will be a few months before we get a new chief. Depending on who gets it, I'll see what will happen.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    Depending on who gets it, I'll see what will happen.
    I hope it works and the benefits are apparent to the next chief. We mandated PT but most of the crews do CF. Let me know if I can help when/if the time comes.
    -Mitch-

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hope it works and the benefits are apparent to the next chief. We mandated PT but most of the crews do CF. Let me know if I can help when/if the time comes.
    Thanks. I'll keep you updated.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just an update to this old thread. We got a new Chief in November and boy, has he changed some things. We recently spent a ton of money re-vamping our gym at Police HQ (PBA Money). We are now allowed to workout on-duty for an hour, and somehow, I got roped into being the main PT instructor, so I had to put together a program. We will also be putting together a PT test, but we still have to come up with one. I have some ideas, but we are deciding if we want to include shooting with it or not.

I'm also going to be going to the CrossFit Level 1 Cert in August (with my own money, unfortunately), and we'll be able to become a non-profit affiliate. I already do the programming for my PD and several guys are already jumping on board and following the programming. The best part is that pretty much everyone is on-board with everything that is happening.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad to hear it Paulo! Having support makes a lot of difference. Where are you taking your level 1? Our lead instructor got an invite to be an HQ apprentice instructor, I'll see if he'll be at your class. HQ "should" help you out on cost since it'll be for a dept. affiliate, if you get hung up on it let me know and I'll get some more details.

BTW...I think you should use "Murph" for your PT test :)
    -Mitch-