Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Battle Arms Development Excerpt - NRA American Rifleman

I ran across this in a recent NRA American Rifleman issue. Apparently, Battle Arms Development (yes.... BAD) has developed a new safety selector for the AR (15 and 10). The BAD Ambidextrous Safety Selector (ASS, yes.... BADASS - no joke here). It appears that the BADASS can be installed in an ambi or non-ambi config using torx screws on either side of the safety. The lever(s) have smooth edges with diagonal grooves on the sides for grip and comes with a stainless detent for install.

http://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com/badass.php

From the BAD order page: Semi-Auto Ambidextrous Safety Selector for the AR15 / AR10. Both levers are detachable and interchangeable for maximum flexibility and user preference. Package comes with:

* (1) SAFETY BAR/AXIS
    * (1) STANDARD LEVER
    * (1) SHORT LEVER
    * (1) THIN LEVER
    * (2) TORX SCREWS
    * (1) HARDENED STAINLESS STEEL SAFETY DETENT (by KNS Precision)
    * (1) T10 TORX L-Key
    * Precision CNC Machined from Solid Bar Stock Steel!
    * MADE IN U.S.A.
    * PATENT PENDING

Anyone have any experience with one of these?
    - Federalist22

Downloads
    Uploads
    No experience with it, but it looks pretty straight forward. Its not a part that should be easy to mess up, and I like the varying lengths offered.

KAC has a nice one as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gentleman,
    I've been a reader of WEVO for a long time, this is my first post here but you all probably know of me on ar15.com and m4carbine.net.
    Our ambidextrous safety selector is the result of about a year's research, testing and input from users. This current product is actually the second iteration, our first effort was too radical and didn't offer enough purchase, so went the more conventional route.

We know its name may raise some eye brows in some circles, to us, it's only following our naming convention for the AR platform. BAD (company initials) followed by the product initials (Ambidextrous Safety Selector), others like RRA and Bushmaster also call theirs ambidextrous safety selector.

We had spent no time and energy on its looks, for appearance was not one of the design goals. Every curve, surface, angle of the lever and serration, selection of material (including screws) was scrutinized. The 90 degree surface of the lever is no accident, neither is the broad surface area at the tip of the lever. The detent groove and holes were the most time consuming and difficult part to get right, we made improvements to that area, though it's transparent and unnoticed by users.

When it went to market at the end of May, we opted to offer three levers of fairly conventional design (as outlined above). Since then, we have two additional levers based on user input and request: thin-short, and hybrid (akin to the KAC PDW scalloped lever based on our standard lever). In a short time, we've also started a product improvement program to enhance the selector, these changes are:
    1. Inclusion of a KNS stainless steel detent
    2. Inclusion of a higher quality T10 wrench
    3. Reduced elector's flat/cam area diameter for better compatibility with aftermarket triggers

The PIP is an ongoing program, we will continue to make improvements to the product without increasing cost to customers.

We will be bringing to market a 45 degree, short throw selector this Fall.

The select fire version is coming to market sooner than we planned, its development schedule and cycle has been compressed and hastened by an urgent request.

We're close to finishing the select fire version. The M16 version we’re currently developing has a different lever attachment interface than the more conventional ambidextrous selectors, the new attachment method is much stronger and relegates the screw to the task of simply keeping the lever in place, pressure and shear force is born by the robust interface instead.

We can send the WEVO staff couple of T&E samples to try when we have them back in stock in the first half of August.

Please contact me any time if there's any question I can answer for you, roger@battlearmsdevelopment.com

Thanks you guys.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Duffy,

Great background on your product here. Like I said, I saw the BADASS in the latest NRA magazine, so I had to track it down online. I have tried the Bushmaster ambi-safety and it is less than desirable; the screws are weak.

I would be ordering 4 BADASSs right now if new safeties were at the top of my shopping list--they are a close second, so maybe in August. Although I have not tried out this product, I figured I would post it up here so others were aware of it and we could get some feedback on it. Thanks.

I am not WEVO staff, but I am always interested in a T&E. I'm not offended if the offer is not extended, but I am open to supporting a new innovation.

- Adam
    - Federalist22

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi federalist, thank you for the kind words :)

We've been out of stock for a while, the current production is delayed by about 10 days from the heat treat facility's being swamped by other jobs, but there are no other delays. We just sent off our last T&E model to a destination we cannot disclose, if you'd like to try one before we have them back in stock, please get one from Henderson Defense, they still have them in stock. Please do bear in mind that Henderson Defense carries our kit in two lever version, you'll need to specify which two levers you like. If you do get a set from Henderson Defense, please get a kit with a short and thin lever, I'll be happy to supply you with a standard lever and a KNS SS selector detent to complete the package.

If you like to wait for the incoming production units, please email me :) Thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Duffy, I'm a big fan of the ambi safeties so I'd love to one for T&E. I'll send you an E-Mail.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Paulos,
    I'll send one to you as soon as we have them back in stock, it'll be a unit with PIP enhancements :)
    Thank you.

Here's a short clip of comparison of 45 degree short throw and the standard 90 degree selector: http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...ortfootage.mp4

Downloads
    Uploads
    The 45 degree short throw is cool. I'd have the "Fire" selector filled and re-engraved to match the selector indication. I may just have to do that this fall.

The 45 degree lever may also prevent blisters for those running ambi's.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm in the process of ordering one. I'm a lefty shooter so an ambi would be nice just to see what my speed would be.
    Duffy I like the Assault Safety Selector company name

Downloads
    Uploads
    We have a simple way to deal with the FIRE marking, many may scoff at the idea, but it works so it's not stupid We will reveal what it is once we have a final version of it. Our intention is to have a receiver with the proper markings, we're looking to work with Henderson Defense or Spike's Tactical to that end.

What makes the short throw so different and effective is that while going from Safe to Fire isn't difficult, going from Fire to Safe almost always requires the user to shift his grip (unless he has an ambidextrous selector, in which case he can use his trigger finger to flick it back to Safe). With the 45 degree short throw, it's but a raise of the thumb to accomplish.

The select fire version of this will be 0-90-45, this is done with the input from folks much more qualified than we :)
    Last edited by Duffy; 25 July 2010 at 11:48.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Duffy,

Thanks for sharing the information over here. I know that Staff here would be interested in doing reviews based off multiple shooters view points.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Stick. We've been working with Army Chief and he asked us to send you guys couple of T&E unit (we were already running out at the time so couldn't do it), he has one he's been testing :D

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm glad to see that Battle Arms Development ambi safety finally made its way over to WEVO. The BAD ASS (still makes me laugh) is very well made and designed. I like that the safety is truly modular and allows for multiple configurations. The serrations give just enough grip without being too aggressive, the machining is top notch, the anodizing looks high quality, and the included KNS pins make for a fast, crisp switch from safe to fire. I think once these get out and circulated people will truly appreciate the work and design that went into them. There is also a 45 degree throw lever in the works as well. I had an opportunity to test one of the unfinished models. I really like the idea and how it functioned. I think Battle Arms Development is making some high quality, innovative parts that will be well received in the AR community.
    Last edited by Policetacteam; 31 July 2010 at 05:23.
    Adversity introduces us to ourselves

Facebook: Loess Hills Tactical

Downloads
    Uploads
    We've had some limited discussion about this part on the Staff board, but the bottom line is that I've had a month or two to spend with one, and am prepared to state that it is truly a best-in-class product. In terms of construction, materials and -- most importantly -- design, nothing really compares. The product was introduced on M4C in a thread that many professionals ignored because of some overt fanboy overtones, but once we got past that point, it soon became apparent that Battle Arms Development had something special on their hands.

I've put most of my effort into actuations, experimenting with various configurations and testing it with different receivers/triggers, rather than into a public review, but as stated, I'm at the point where any reservations I may have had initially have long since disappeared. This will become standard fare on all my rifles, replacing even the KAC ambi on the SR-15E3 ... it's that good.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you guys for the kind words :)

We're humbled by the feedback and reviews by those that have used our selectors. We're striving to continuously bring improvements to the kit, the M16 selector is one such example. The lever attachment method is different than the conventional bar/channel interface, and much more robust.

In addition to the two new levers to be introduced in August (thin-short and hybrid), we're also playing with a super short lever. I will post pictures of the M16 selector and the new levers as soon as we have them :)