Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    CASS-3P, M16 :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Finally got the EAG carbine back for some more photos...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Bill!

The new end cap for the semi auto selectors just came in :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    We do believer that never before has a selector been under this much scrutiny, we're happy to share technical details with anyone that's willing to read this boring stuff :)

On the perceived looseness on 0.005 percent of the receivers.
    Cast selectors are not precision machined like ours, this can be a bad thing (mostly not so good, but easily overlooked) and good (just one).

When a cast selector is installed, you can most likely move it side to side inside the receiver. The reason for this is the detent holes are much bigger than the detent (ours are 0.005 larger in diameter than the detent itself), there's quite a bit of slack. The side to side movement doesn't hinder the operation of the weapon. It can serve to accommodate out of spec detent/detent spring housing if it's drilled not where it's supposed to be drilled, e.g. a little bit too forward toward the muzzle, a little bit more toward the rear, a little to the left or right. Because of the slack, the detent usually has no issue seating in its general area.

Our detent holes are far more precise (0.005 larger than the detent). In a receiver where the detent/detent spring hole on the receiver isn't drilled to spec, the detent may not seat squarely in the detent holes on the selector. When the detent isn't fully seated, it then can be more easily rotated out of Fire/Safe.

While spring tension (length of the detent spring, the depth of the detent spring hole inside the pistol grip) can play a part, chief among the reasons our selector can feel loose has to do with the receiver.

We're investigating making our selectors more compatible with this aspect of the tolerance issues on the receiver, we could make the detent holes less precise, and have more side to side movement as a result.

In PIP1, we made the selector flat area diameter smaller to accommodate triggers that are not of USGI specs. In PIP2, we increased the width of this flat area to accommodate slightly out of spec receivers when a DMR trigger is in use. It's about impossible to make it fit every receiver made, and receivers that haven't even been brought to market, the tolerance issues will be with us forever.

In other news, the CASS-3P, M16 have gone through 80 THOUSAND rounds (shared among 8 production samples) without a single failure and loose lever.

ETA: correction on the number of samples, it's 80,000 rounds through 8 samples, in semi and auto fire.
    Last edited by Duffy; 22 October 2010 at 15:52.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    We do believer that never before has a selector been under this much scrutiny, we're happy to share technical details with anyone that's willing to read this boring stuff :)
    Thanks for providing so much information. Some of us find it fascinating!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Bill, we have a commitment to produce top quality and well engineered product, and an obligation to our customers to make sure they get the best we have to offer.

The info we share isn't meant to lay blame elsewhere. When we screw up (as I have in missing a detent, or putting the wrong lever in the kit) we freely admit it and make things right for customers. There are manufacturers that product improve their gear to accommodate issues not of their making. We're proud to be counted as one of them, we do it not for bragging rights, but for our customers :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm really enjoying mine. I ordered a standard lever, as well as a short and short/thin, thinking I'd like the short/thin on the portside of the weapon. I was surprised to find I actually preferred the short as it made using my trigger finger to safety the weapon much easier. During installation I had a bit of a surprise though. Before I had installed my new B.A.D. A.S.S. I was running what came in my G&R LPK. It was VERY crisp and VERY positive to begin with. However after installation of the new selector and KNS detent, it was downright mushy. I had amazing purchase on the levers themselves, but sliding from fire to safe and back felt like it was sliding through mud. I had even installed it with a light coat of slip's grease. I uninstalled and reinstalled. Same thing. Then I reinstalled using my original detent and the B.A.D. A.S.S. was crisp and clean as ever. I just thought it strange that the KNS detent appeared to be the problem. Either way it was easily solved, and I love the new selector. I've recommended it to several people already, and have a couple more who are wanting to feel it on my gun before buying their own.

Looks sharp too.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Aragorn, this is the first time we heard of this. The KNS detent almost always has a positive impact on engagement and rotation, this is the case for almost all of the selectors, cast or machined like ours.

I'd wager that if the same KNS detent and our selector are installed on another rifle, the result would not be the same, in that it'll be crispy and positive. In some cases a different detent spring or pistol grip can make the difference as well.

Thank you for your feedback!
    Last edited by Duffy; 21 October 2010 at 06:20.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    I'd wager that if the same KNS detent and our selector are installed on another rifle, the result would not be the same, in that it'll be crispy and positive. In some cases a different detent spring or pistol grip can make the difference as well.
    Very possibly. As it is, I'll be changing out my grip soon so I'll be able to report if that makes a difference or not. Also a buddy felt the new selector for the first time today. He's a lefty and instantly decided he needs two.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Aragorn for being a part of the grass root movement

Some exciting news on the CASS-3P, M16 in the months go come

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thought to share some photos.

45 degree Lever

KNS Precision stainless steel safety detent versus RRA detents (left and middle (KNS Precision) are approximately 1000+ rds fired, right one is guessed at 3000+ rds fired)

BAD vs LMT 90 degree levers

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Ryo!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The long awaited M16 selector is ready

Please note that the CASS-3P, M16 will only come with two levers by default, a third lever or cap is an option. The picture above shows optional equipment.

Production 45 degree short throw selector. Notice the nub, this is not a drop in replacement selector for conventional receivers, Spike's and others will have specially marked and cut receivers for it very soon :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm...just a nub standing between the user and pure 45 degree bliss! I'm not throwing any ideas around...but...
    Adversity introduces us to ourselves

Facebook: Loess Hills Tactical

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lol, and let none be uttered The nub looks big, but compare it with the screw head and you'll get a feel on its size.

Every 45 degree selector will be accompanied by the 7 page terms and conditions form. It has more pages than what comes with a fully assembled firearm :D