Downloads
    Uploads

Hey, really need some help

I finally have the funds to buy me a nice tier 1 rifle. The problem comes in that there isn't a dealer located anywhere near me that has any I can come and inspect. The local stores say they can only buy one if you were going to buy it when it came in. I have tried searching and searching, but I can't seem to find an answer to my question. So, my question is:

If you had the choice of LWRC M6A3, LMT MRP (DI), Daniel Defense DDM4, Colt 6920, MR556, ACR, and SCAR, which would you prefer? I know not everyone has held one, any input is greatly appreciated though.

Main purpose will be home defense, SHTF, competition, just a multi-purpose fighting rifle that can take abuse and keep on going.

Thanks everyone in advance, I was told this forum had lots of knowledge on the subject and I hope you can provide some light on the situation for me

-Dustin

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, you picked a lot of good rifles. Hard to choose just one as they are all good. I'd suggest breaking them down first from DI and Piston. Id put the LWRC, ACR, Ruger, and SCAR all in the piston group. You can also break it down by price range. So if it was me, I'd first break it down and narrow it down to 4 the most.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would look at BCM, DD, and LMT without hesitation. I would also throw in Noveske and KAC as premier AR15s that I would personally carry as a duty weapon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys, it is greatly appreciated. I found a shop finally that carries Knights Armament and LMT.

If I had to narrow it down between five rifles it would be:

ACR
    LWRC M6A3
    LMT
    Knights Armament
    Daniel Defense
    Last edited by Fr3Ek619; 25 July 2010 at 19:35.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have an LWRC M6A2 and an LMT MRP. I honestly love the MRP. I have a 16" piston Barrel and and a DI barrel. The ability to switch between the two is great. The M6A2 is awesome and truly a beautiful rifle but it is nowhere near as versatile as the quick barrel change ability of the MRP. My MRP is my beater rifle but I love it, most people laugh when they see it as it pretty scuffed up. Just like the saying "chicks dig scars" I dig a rifle that I know I can always count on.

SOS

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the input SKD, it is much appreciated. I am going tomorrow to look at an LMT :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have an LMT upper, gas impingement, 16", and it's a winner for sure. However, I'm a sucker for the ACR despite lots of the bad press simply because of the ease of configuration (i.e. between 5.56 and 6.8 mm)... For me it's a bit easier than having two uppers =D.. but I can't afford the $2k sticker yet!! Also, other extras such as different barrels and ACR extra components aren't cheap and widely available either (..yet).

All are great rifles... but I prefer piston systems in general. I haven't had any experience first hand with LWRC or KAC weapons, but all I hear are good things!!!
    Dynamically Scaled Oblique Flying Wing!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-eTXIyYYQ

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr3Ek619 View Post
    Thanks guys, it is greatly appreciated. I found a shop finally that carries Knights Armament and LMT.

If I had to narrow it down between five rifles it would be:

ACR
    LWRC M6A3
    LMT
    Knights Armament
    Daniel Defense
    Can't go wrong with any of those. I hate to see you leave Noveske off the list, though. They make nice Tier 1 rifles, easily on par with any of the above except for their barrels which are arguably a significant cut above.

Downloads
    Uploads
    well Hmac it's funny you mention that. My friend picked his up this morning, and he wanted me to come look it over. He got the Light Recce model with the switchblock that Noveske offers. Nice rifle for sure, no doubt there. I am just looking for something just a bit different is all. I have seen a few Noveskes at a local carbine course we had a while back (went with a friend of mine) and they performed amazingly. Like I said, just looking for something different is all :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    KAC SR15E3 should be on the list.
    BCM 14.5" or 16" Middy is the most affordable Tier1 setup and gives up nothing on performance.
    DD CHF Lightweight barrels are amazing, though the best setup imho would be having G&R Build you a lightweight barreled Carbine with the DD OmegaX 12.0FSP Rail
    LMT is a great choice - a complete LMT lower is almost a steal if you're planning on a SOPMOD style stock. That with any upper would be my suggestion.
    The MRP is great, but the cost and weight only make sense if you're going to own and use multiple barrels, otherwise a Noveske VIS build is probably a smarter choice. If you're using multiple barrels, nothing touches the MRP.
    If you have some time to wait, the ACR/Masada will be a brilliant rifle, but it's not ready for showtime. Once they roll out 1:7" Twist Lightweight barrels, and have the furniture parts available in any configuration, this will combine every strength of the MRP with MagPul goodness. Right now it's pricey and mediocre.
    For AR piston systems, I'd limit it exclusively to LWRCi, LMT MRP-P, and Colt. But I really only see the piston being most optimal for a part-time suppressed or suppressed SBR setup. The Noveske Switchblock solves the first issue, and for a double stamp unit the piston argument is absolutely there, but it's absolutely possible to run short DI units (I've got a 10.5" set up for OPS 14th/16th/M4S cans)
    And there's always Colt. If you want a Tier1 system that doesn't deviate too far from the basic M4 silhouette, the most cost effective approach is to just go Colt and be done.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC