I have read many of the postings here and there as no shortage of good advice, and for that I am more appreciative than many here will ever know (just simply for sharing). Like many, I have probably bought too much gun for the moment but always embraced the philosophy to buy more and “grow into it.” I’m not sure that is serving me well, but I do like what I have and I suppose there is a lot that can be said for liking what you drive. To carry the analogy further – now I need to get more experience behind the wheel. But first, here is my current setup:

-Spike's Upper M4 flat top upper receiver w/Spike's Tactical Billet charging handle
-Spike's Lower w/Nickel Boron coated Trigger, Hammer, and Disconnector
-Daniel Defense 16" Barrel with Mid-length gas system (1:7)
-Daniel Defense 12.0 Lite rail w/ Micro gas block
-Phantom 52C Flash Hider.
-KNS Gen II Mod II Anti-Rotation trigger and hammer pins.
-ST-T2 Tungsten Heavy buffer.
-Magpul ACS stock
-Magpul MOE Grip.
-Front (HK style) and Rear Troy BUIS.

The gun was from a group buy on AR-15.com and I got some extras for buying their 2009 SEBR overstock, which apparently was a victim of today’s beleaguered economy. It is a nice gun and functions flawlessly. I have spent some time and several hundred rounds shooting with just the BUIS and can honestly say I hate battle rifle sights. I applaud those of you that can shoot beyond 100 yards accurately. I can hit a man sized target fine; just do not feel comfortable sharing any paper targets that I punch holes in. It is funny how I can hit bricks and other trash out on the berm, but paper seems to be elusive, at least for consistent shot placement. I am using Federal 55 gr ammo and though it is not match ammo, it probably is better than some of the other surplus stuff out there.

Recently I purchased a Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10X scope to practice more precision type shooting and while my apparent accuracy improved, my shot placement (on paper) seems relatively as sporadic. Now, it (my accuracy) is certainly better than my shots before the scope but I am not as happy with the results as I had hoped for. Of course I will continue to practice and expect that I will get better as I continue to gain experience but I suppose I must have to ask those of you with much more experience – is this (inconsistent grouping (more than an 2" @ 100yds)) commonly an issue with ammunition, the shooter, gun, or am I just expecting too much from all of the above.

I am really not discouraged as it may sound, and I am not so egotistical to blame everything else as my suspicions are that it really is me that is driving the shots. I would just hate to be blaming myself just to find out that an average barrel shooting surplus ammo shoots, well… …average. Can anyone relate? LOL

- Mike