View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on Muzzle Brakes?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Still don't ike them.

10 22.73%
  • My opinion about them is changing.

19 43.18%
  • I prefer to use muzzle brakes.

15 34.09%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All of them will be on 16" except for one that is 14.5". Wish I could get them shorter but the .gov gets picky in the state of WA about that.
    كافر - Infidel
    http://op4guy.blogspot.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Op4guy View Post

I really like the way the Claymore works. It's a more tactical version of the Levang and is effective.
    I am still torn for use on a shorty between it and a KX3

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Op4guy View Post
    I'm working on a muzzle brake review right now. Hoping for it to be done by mid November but I am waiting on one final brake from Knight's before I do a final round of testing. At the present, I run a PWS FSC on my guns. But the brakes I have in the line up are:
    -Troy Industries: Medieval and Claymore
    -Primary Weapons System FSC 556
    -Rainier Arms Xtreme Tactical Comp
    -Battle Comp 1.0
    -Knight's Armament Triple Tap
    -Standard A2 birdcage

Very excited to get all this info in one place as I think it will be a good look at everything from a simple A2 cage and up. Like I said, hoping for about mid November but it depends on a parts arrival date. If it comes down to it being past that due to production dates I may just 2 part series the whole article.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Looks like we are working on similar projects.
    Any more news on the comparison?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by neo9710 View Post
    Any more news on the comparison?
    One of the guys on the review team still has the weapon and the BC. The BC wins overall, though we left the KAC TT out of the testing. There is a lot that comes into play with this review, and certain people will be better by other options. I'm hoping to get this written up and completed this week.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm hijacking this thread rather than make a whole new one, what's a good brake for a 16" .308?

I'm considering one for obvious reasons and I don't have any experience with them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-10 View Post
    I'm hijacking this thread rather than make a whole new one, what's a good brake for a 16" .308?

I'm considering one for obvious reasons and I don't have any experience with them.
    If you don't mind a little noise, the FSC30 is an excellent brake. I had one on all of my 6.8 ARs and it worked great.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What would be your number two and number three choices, I was turned off by the open-prong tip of the FSC30.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-10 View Post
    What would be your number two and number three choices, I was turned off by the open-prong tip of the FSC30.
    I can tell I never had any problems with it. They used to sell a version called the DNTC30, which was pretty good also. If money is not an issue, check out the Battle Comps. That would be my #1 choice if money isn't an issue. Another good choice is the POF. If you want a pure muzzle brake, the JP Rifles Comp is real good, but loud.

Downloads
    Uploads
    PWS makes the PRC that is designed for more of a precision rifle. It doesn't have the open tines that the FSC30 has. I'm trying to decide between the BABC and FSC30. I'd make someone a good deal on a POF .308 brake.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm partial to surefire MB's that are adaptors for their suppressors.

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads
    Strictly from a competitive standpoint...

We had a monster stage this week. I won the stage/match with a time of 102.xx seconds. No brake, and shooting 300 BLK. There were many shooters with brakes.

The stage consisted of a diagonal run across the range totaling 75-100 yards or so. Engage steel at 50 yards, shoot bowling pin at next barrel then engage two targets on the move. Shoot steel at 30 yards, shoot bowling pin, engage two. Shoot steel at 25 yards, engage one on way to shoot house. Enter house, engage 8 targets out of 16 with color of target being assigned at door. Exit shoot house, engage one on the move, engage two more, transition to handgun, and engage 4 poppers. Use of cover when available required.

If this doesn't make sense, it's ok as that's not really the point. The point is that given EVERYTHING else that one had to do in order to perform well on this stage, and the penalty of 30 seconds for failing to neutralize a target or hitting a non-threat, the marginal advantage that a MB offers was absolutely nil. Adding in the color coding of the targets wherein each shooter had to identify the threat/non-threat targets as they sliced the pie and did not have the ability to "game" the stage to determine shoot order or shot placement prior to running the stage, and the arrangement of same targets to allow for a high percentage of shoot-throughs...

Now, I do not deny that if we had three top-level three-gun shooters that their times *may* have been close enough to one another for the winner to be the one with the best brake, but even at that level there were so many opportunities to screw up that I bet even those guys would have made at least one mistake each, thereby again negating the benefit of the brake.

I am coming to believe that brakes matter in some competitive environments where they are designed to matter, in some limited drills performed in a vacuum and *maybe* when every single other thing is performed perfectly. In the realities of far more complex scenarios and situations IMHO they are rather useless, and after running many shooters through the shoot-house may also be a strong detriment depending on how much hearing protection a shooter can don prior to the shooting event.

The "range as laboratory" trend that's going on of late is interesting, and I myself engage in that pursuit quite often, but I think that sometimes the translation from laboratory to reality is getting lost.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Which round were you shooting for this?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Subsonics
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET