Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    A

I did see that BCM has both the midlength and rifle length MOE handguards for sale (they're 'out of stock' which I presume means they once were 'in stock').

No, they have never been released. They are out of stock based on the idea that they have never been in stock. Think of it more as a place holder. As soon as ANY of them are ready, I'll be posting images.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interested to the point where I am ready to write a check for a T&E upper.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You and me both - I'm holding the stash I was going to apply to a BCM 16" midlength upper for this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. It has potential for my work environment.
    Last edited by Lancelot; 12 September 2010 at 09:58.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    No, they have never been released. They are out of stock based on the idea that they have never been in stock. Think of it more as a place holder. As soon as ANY of them are ready, I'll be posting images.
    Will do

I don't mean to sound impatient, it's just that, even though I wasn't favorable to the idea of the 'dissy' at the beginning, a few ideas have been popping into my brain and visuals help firm or eliminate them.

Since, any project undertaken on the basis of these ideas wouldn't even begin for several months anyway, I can wait.

In the meanwhile, BCM has these and these photos to give us a sense of what they may be like.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some more images are available through Military Times, please note that these are prototype MOE hand guards, and are not production items. Being as these images have already been released, there is no issue showing them again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is interesting that neither the midlength nor the rifle length have slots at the rear.

Maybe it's to simplify manufacturing but since those slots help in cooling (it gets real hot at or near the chamber as I understand it), I would have thought it would be good to have them all the way back.

Then again, these are prototypes.

I've definitely changed my mind about the 'dissy with a MOE'. As Aragorn says, it would be great as a general purpose beater/trunk gun, especially with a pencil barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    It is interesting that neither the midlength nor the rifle length have slots at the rear.

..................... I would have thought it would be good to have them all the way back.

Then again, these are prototypes.

I noticed this as well.

I guess we'll see if this is addressed when the HG's actually hit the market.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've tested and am still playing with the QD sling socket made by Mount-N-Slot for the MOE hand guards. I like it. But I like it all the way aft on the hand guards not forward. So I too, hope there are more slots to the rear.

On the dissy note, I always liked this one.

This of course is the Grail from Defensive Edge. They call it the Holy Grail in some ads. I like the PRI float tube on the gun. I'd love to have a BCM upper set up this way. I have some great name suggestions for the BCM version.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
    I've tested and am still playing with the QD sling socket made by Mount-N-Slot for the MOE hand guards. I like it. But I like it all the way aft on the hand guards not forward. So I too, hope there are more slots to the rear.
    I'm playing around with them as well........

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...-Attach-Mounts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great guys. They responded to my idea about making the QD limited rotation almost immediately. They have some other cool stuff cooking.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
    They have some other cool stuff cooking.
    Yes Sir......looking forward to reviewing more of what's to come!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I sort of like the 14.5" carbine dissy upper. Sort of a toss up between that and the 14.5" midlength upper.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I, for one, am rather excited about this. I've been hoping that a company that had its s*#t together (read BCM) would put out a Dissy with a mid-length gas system.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In thinking on this a bit more, I can see maybe two reasons for it.
    1. Cost. I don't think this is really that huge of an issue but maybe it is for some people. If you cannot afford the added $100-200 for a lightweight rail system and front BUIS over the rifle-length MOE then maybe this is a good option.
    2. Durability. No question that the pinned-in FSB is sturdier than any rail-mount front sight, and obviously potentially more accurate (provided the shooter and ammo can keep up). I question pinning a slave FSB and then not pinning a gas block but that can be easily rectified.

Neither of the above are interesting/attractive/necessary for me personally, but when combined I could see where someone might make a logical argument for one. If it's your first AR, and you're going to keep it simple and shoot irons only for awhile, it's probably the best option. If you already own 10 and are eventually going to add a rail anyway, I'm not sure I see it. And claiming that there is a weight savings is just not an accurate statement IMHO.

Clearly I am alone in this, based on the replies here and elsewhere, and I'm certainly not one to tell BCM what they should and shouldn't make. I was a skeptic re: the 14.5" mid-lengths too and now have 1k rounds through two of them and an article on my T&E of a production gun coming out soon, so I can certainly be swayed by gun in hand and rounds downrange.

I will say that I ONLY see this as viable with the MOE. Without it there is a whole hodgepodge of shit you would need to go through to get it up to speed. I'm hopeful that the production MOE retains the slots all the way along it's length and not just at the front end as the rear slots make for good sling attachment points and it would suck not to have them. Although plastic is easy enough to drill/cut.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET