Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I will say that I ONLY see this as viable with the MOE. Without it there is a whole hodgepodge of shit you would need to go through to get it up to speed. I'm hopeful that the production MOE retains the slots all the way along it's length and not just at the front end as the rear slots make for good sling attachment points and it would suck not to have them. Although plastic is easy enough to drill/cut.
    Big +1

Add a pencil barrel too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    it took me a long time' but i've built a dissy with a cmmg 1x7 twist barrel'
    sent it to ADCO trimmed off a bunch of weight' moved gas port to mid/length. added a A.R.M.S model 41-B front sight'
    boy did she wake up !
    light as a feather' i used a plum crazy lower for even more weight savings.
    im like everybody else' i pre-ordered a set of MOE rifle length handguards,
    i have the picture of it posted on oa2.org, under weets retro israeli IDF clone.
    i wanted to build the most ''usefull'' rifle/carbine i could think of'
    and i wanted it as light as i could get it'
    the dissy style was the only platform that fit the bill as a ''do it all'' im in love with it. :)
    wishes i could post a pic here.
    all i have left to do is install the H2 buffer and tubbs spring' and someday the MOE handguards.
    peabody

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I can understand the attraction, and 12+ years ago I sold more BM Dissipators than any other model. I even still have one in my safe. But I'm not sure that what was applicable then is applicable now. At the time flattops, and RDS were just barely making an appearance and we still sold way more A2 rifles for anything other than long-range shooting, and the longer sight radius of the Dissipator was attractive. Also, railed handguards, especially free-float type, were not at all common. Some folks were using the KAC 7" but that was about it.

Today, anyone that wants to can simply chop their FSB and run a 12.0 or even 13.0 rail over it and attach a flip-up front sight and actually wind up lighter, and more capable, than rifle-length plastic handguards and a full FSB. I have found that quite often the notion that a set of plastic handguards and FSB is lighter than a rail system turns out to be incorrect once you add a way to attach a light, sling, and VFG. Even in trimmed-down form there really isn't a weight savings.

I wouldn't discourage BCM from making them, and I'm sure they'll sell some, but logically it doesn't necessarily add up and I'm not sure the same benefits apply today that did 15 years ago.
    I'm with Rob. Aside from cost, I don't see much advantage.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i thinks BCM will sell a bunch of them.

i really like mine.

peabody

Downloads
    Uploads
    MOE came in, as did the IWC QD sling swivel socket.

WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    For those interested, CMMG sells the following-

CMMG 16 inch M10M MedCon Rifle Upper. Mid-length gas system hidden underneath a rifle length handguard, rifle length sight radius.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/...M10M-Upper-978

They have some other dissy configurations and similar uppers in the MedCon line.

I own a CMMG upper and can't say enough good things about it. Would buy another.
    I received my upper about three weeks after ordering it and this was in February of this year.

Here's a photo of my SPR CMMG upper http://imgur.com/a/8RhgR#9s4Fp

Downloads
    Uploads
    BCM goodness in a dissipator? Oh Hell Yeah! I'm in for at least two...
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be. -Thomas Jefferson

Downloads
    Uploads
    +1 for me. BCM dissy with a LW profile BFH would be a great general purpose gun. Im 6'5'' and even the mid-length MOE handguards are a little short for me. A dissy would be perfect.

Downloads
    Uploads
    interesting thread...

im a dissipator aholic ...

i just traded for a bushmaster dissipator barrel, rifle length sights, and carbean gas.

i.ve now 3 of the silly things, a delton rifle gas dissy, and cmmg middy gas, and now a carbean gas dissy.

whats the attraction ? i thinks its just the best ar hybrid out there, its what the M4 should have been. methinks ?

peabody

Downloads
    Uploads
    So... time to re-liven up the old dissy thread. I'm putting together my shopping list on a build and could use a little help.

I'm looking for a drop in Front Sight Base. The ones from BCM appear F marked but not drilled and without post. The ARMS 41B looks promising but costs about $150. My usual parts source (Rainier) doesn't carry FSB's...

Does anyone know where I can locate a cheap, yet quality drop in FSB for a dissipator build? Bbl will be a 16 AAC 300 blk. If not obvious this will use a carbine gas system so the FSB doesn't need to act as a gas block, only sight.

Thanks for the help and insight!
    Hatter

Took a little hiatus... good to be back.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
    So... time to re-liven up the old dissy thread. I'm putting together my shopping list on a build and could use a little help.

I'm looking for a drop in Front Sight Base. The ones from BCM appear F marked but not drilled and without post. The ARMS 41B looks promising but costs about $150. My usual parts source (Rainier) doesn't carry FSB's...

Does anyone know where I can locate a cheap, yet quality drop in FSB for a dissipator build? Bbl will be a 16 AAC 300 blk. If not obvious this will use a carbine gas system so the FSB doesn't need to act as a gas block, only sight.

Thanks for the help and insight!
    Palmetto State Armory has them.
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/1735.php

EDIT: I just realized that these aren't drilled either.
    Last edited by Rodman24; 9 January 2012 at 15:55.

Downloads
    Uploads
    hummmmm ???
    i trimmed down an m4 16" barrel to lightweight ...ordered a MI extended rifle length free float.
    shaved down the fsb...and magpul flip ups....
    another dissy is born.... :)
    peabody