Downloads
    Uploads

MP Testing - NDT methods for checking quality

I see several claims by manufacturers of MP Testing of Barrels and other components which is a form of Nondestructive testing or NDT. NDT is the science of inspecting materials for defects without cutting or destroying the integrity or usefulness of the material, resulting in sorting, accepting or rejecting the part based on the expected use, customer specifications or Mil-specs. Since I work for a company that specializes in nondestructive testing (NDT) of aerospace and military parts, I can shed some light on this for some of you...

"MP Testing" stands for "Magnetic Particle Testing", most of the time referred to in the NDT business as" MT" or "MPI". A lot of times you hear it called "Magnaflux", but that is only one of the original manufacturers of the equipment (kind of like saying "Polaroid"). The actual method that is used on these barrels is known as "Wet Fluorescent Magnetic Particle Testing".

MT Testing involves using a bench or portable equipment to induce a magnetic field into a metal object and then applying a carrier fluid with iron oxide particles (in this case the iron oxide particles are dyed with a fluorescent green dye). Any surface or some near surface discontinuities will redirect the magnetic lines of flux to the surface attracting the iron oxide in the shape of the crack or defect. Then inspecting with a black light will immediately show these concentration of particles as any significant cracking, lapping or other linear shaped defect. Any NDT inspector has to be certified to at least level II with sufficient training and work experience to perform the test and accept/reject parts. (Entry level = Level I, Inspector = Level II, Expert/Procedure writer = Level III).

We inspect aerospace parts, welds, engine and racing parts, industrial and misc with it every day using this method, but also use other methods of inspection as needed to supplement and "see" into other areas in parts.

Here is what we use the different NDT methods for:

MT (Magnetic Particle) Wet Fluorescent great for machined ferrous parts looking for cracking or linear surface defects. Also great for welded fabrications. Not effective for finding internal defects.

PT (Dye Penetrant) Applying a fluorescent or visible dye that seeps into surface defects and then after being cleaned off, the dye bleeds out at the defect area showing the defect outline. Great for non-ferrous (Stainless) machined or smooth surface parts that cannot be MT tested

UT (Ultrasonic Testing) -similar to a high frequency fish finder. great for finding defects within metal or composite parts. We typically inspect solid or hollow round stock looking for tiny inclusions or cracking. We inspect a lot of bar, plate and rec bar stock to certify it for manufacturers and machine shops to use. It is normal to look for a 3/64" diameter or larger flaw. This method works well on all metals but sometimes complex geometries or non-parallel surface make it challenging

RT (Radiographic Testing or X-ray) Very comprehensive test that can show great detail. Some x-ray systems are digital which can inspect small parts at high speed and generate computer based x-ray images. Nice for castings or complex geometries. Shows cracking, shrinkage or pore type defects well. It can also verify thread engagement or other internal fit issues.

ET (Eddy Current) Mostly used for finding small surface cracking in non-ferrous metals. Used on aerospace a lot for aluminum parts like airplane wheels or bolts that are inspected in service. Also good for sorting materials or heat treats

Hardness Testing - measures hardness compared to a scale that can give information on how a material will behave

There are many other specialized forms of inspection but these are the main methods used. We also use fiberoptics or borescopes for inspecting inside bores as well as inspecting inside diameter areas after MT or PT Testing (where one can't visually verify)

NDT is called out as a requirement for parts that if they failed, have the potential of life threatening or costly consequences. As you can see, there are many methods that are used and MT (MP) is just the one that works best for ferrous parts when looking for surface defects (like barrels). It is great to see that it is performed because it weeds out any defective parts that show cracks or defects and it means that company has a Quality-Focused program. Not sure, but these companies may purchase metal for their parts that has already been ultrasonic or radiography certified before they machine it. I would hope that the stainless barrels are PT tested since most types of Stainless are unable to be MT inspected.

Of course this is only a general quick summary, but I hope that clears up some of it...
    Last edited by BobinLaConner; 3 October 2010 at 15:19.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the write-up. Excellent breakdown of the various NDT Inspection methods. Glad to see input from someone in a similar profession.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, very good info.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you have a professional opinion on what is "sufficient" for various firearm parts as far as testing?

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is something probably best left to someone who knows firearms or a design engineer since it depends usually on what parts are determined critical or have potential or historic problems, such as the barrel. Parts can contain defects from the forging or casting process, from the manufacturing or treating process and also just from normal use (or abuse) over time. So you want to ask somebody that knows the design and can determine which components,( that if they fail) can lead to potential injury or failure of the gun to operate.

But it is pretty easy to have parts inspected by a local test lab if you want. We see baskets of misc small parts all the time from race car or engine builders. Sometimes the paint or coating on a part may need to be removed before it can be inspected, but it can be re-applied. It doesn't eliminate every possibility of component failure, but inspecting known problem areas does push the odds in your favor and add some confidence. and again, I don't know whether most gun manufacturers don't already inspect more than just the barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Understood, thanks for the info.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great w/up thanks for the good info.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was just reading a few more posts and looking at the subject of bolt reliability and breakage, so I want to add. Parts that are MPI'd when new are great, but that just assures there are no cracks before the first bullet is fired. For my own guns, I will always inspect parts visually when I have them out during cleaning (looking at typical stress-riser areas like sharp machined corners). Then it might be a good idea to do an NDI test of suspect parts at regular intervals with Magnetic Particle or Dye Penetrant on some of the critical areas of the bolt.

A trained inspector knows what to look for, but it is pretty easy to buy some aerosol cans of penetrant, cleaner and developer from one of the welding supply shops and read up on how to apply. Magnetic Particle for small parts can be done with a blacklight and about $500 worth of portable equipment. ...or make friends with someone who works at an inspection company and trade them something to run your small parts through the mag machine.

recipe for success - be proactive
    Start with high quality and well proven parts
    Practice regular maintenance and cleaning
    Know your own firearm
    Monitor for developing cracks and replace parts before they critically fail

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinCovington View Post
    recipe for success - be proactive
    Start with high quality and well proven parts
    Practice regular maintenance and cleaning
    Know your own firearm
    Monitor for developing cracks and replace parts before they critically fail
    So good it's worth repeating.
    --
    News Flash: Your last public defender isn't "your attorney."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    So good it's worth repeating.
    Yes Sir, it is.

And while all five quoted points are important, the last three are especially important to me, and are the cornerstone to my PMCS and Cleaning Routine:

• Practice regular maintenance and cleaning.

• Know your own firearm.

• Monitor for developing cracks and replace parts before they critically fail.

We all know that the AR platform is reliable, and will run for thousands of rounds with re-applications of lube and minimal cleaning. But I believe in maintaining a routine cleaning and visual inspection program that allows me to know for a fact that my weapon will function if needed. And to me, routine cleaning and visual inspection takes place after each shooting session.

I still believe in the three phases of PMCS:

• Before

• During

• After