Downloads
    Uploads

Federal HST questions

So I have decided to get some HST, and I have a couple of questions about it. I am considering the 124 +p, 147, and 147 +p (which I had never seen 147 +p before). This will be used currently in a Glock G17, as well as a Ruger SR9c in the very near future.

147g is supposed to be sub-sonic, correct? If so, does this mean that it makes less noise, and would possibly be better for interior situations where you might be forced to fire your weapon without hearing protection, or will any discharge indoors be so loud as to make this issue pointless?

Would there possibly be any recoil differences in these loads? Will one of these rounds be less "snappy" than the others? From what I have seen in ballistics tests on these rounds, they will all penetrate and mushroom well enough for me, so if one of these loads will be easier to control and get back on target faster, that would probably push me in that direction.

As always, thanks in advance for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ive been looking at the HSTs myself to possibly replace the Ranger Ts I carry now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeky73 View Post
    ...any discharge indoors be so loud as to make this issue pointless?
    Yes, any will be very loud.

You need to check function in your weapon before you decide. I prefer standard pressure 147gr for 9mm, if function is good. I think the 124gr +P is a little bit snappy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    comments in blue

Quote Originally Posted by Creeky73 View Post
    So I have decided to get some HST, and I have a couple of questions about it. I am considering the 124 +p, 147, and 147 +p (which I had never seen 147 +p before). This will be used currently in a Glock G17, as well as a Ruger SR9c in the very near future.
    Cor bon did once produce a 147gr +p Load

147g is supposed to be sub-sonic, correct? If so, does this mean that it makes less noise, and would possibly be better for interior situations where you might be forced to fire your weapon without hearing protection, or will any discharge indoors be so loud as to make this issue pointless?
    There's not enough difference to matter

Would there possibly be any recoil differences in these loads? Will one of these rounds be less "snappy" than the others? From what I have seen in ballistics tests on these rounds, they will all penetrate and mushroom well enough for me, so if one of these loads will be easier to control and get back on target faster, that would probably push me in that direction.
    the 147gr +p load is likely to be snappier than the others.
    Recoil is a very subjective thing and heavily influenced by the fit of your hand to your pistol. I don't think there is much difference between the regular pressure 147gr load and the 124gr+P one in terms of recoil. The only way to find out how it affects you is to use a timer

As always, thanks in advance for any help, it is greatly appreciated.
    Personally, I prefer the speedier loads to the slower loads but that's mostly from a bias against the early version of the 147gr JHP bullet. Nowadays, the heavy bullet has had all its kinks worked out and performs superbly. If issued either, I would be perfectly happy but if I had a choice (and I do since I'm not an LEO) I'd go with the 124gr+P HST.

Find what works in your gun with total reliability first and then choose what you shoot best.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the help! I have 100 rounds of 147 +p on the way, so we'll see how it works.

Downloads
    Uploads
    These are the 9mm rds recommended by Dr. G Roberts.

"9 mm:
    Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)"

Of these I personally use the Winchester 127 +p+ load. I haven't heard too much about the Federal HST 147+p over the non +p load. Are you gaining that much more over the 147 grn?