Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    I really think they're on to something with this one though. No new bolt, no mag issues, just a barrel swap.

That cartridge must look interesting to work with the standard 5.56 bolt face...
    None of which changes a 5x ammo cost, which is what exists with 6.8, FWIW.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    None of which changes a 5x ammo cost, which is what exists with 6.8, FWIW.
    No disagreement there, but I think it's a step in the right direction.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Getting Wolf or Tula to produce training rounds, now THAT would be a step in the right direction!
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    If enough interest is generated it could happen.

Of course if the Army adopts it in large numbers (which sounds like one of Remington's hopes, and follows what the Army's been asking for) then I would imagine quite a few ammo manufacturers jumping on it. The trick is to drum up enough demand and make a market for it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by oregonshooter View Post
    I thought the 300 Whisper did all that? What's the effective range of this round? If it gets past 200 yards I might need to switch builds :)

Small companies or individuals inventing calibers is far different than the Freedom Group, which has everything from ammunition to accessories, to complete weapon manufacturing capabilities. The SAAMI angle simply smothers the wildcats.

Think of you and I deciding to build and sell kit cars, versus Ford introducing a new car. We might build something nice, but we can't compete.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I guess Ill wait on my can to see how this thing goes. 762-SDN-6 is the same price as the M4-2000

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by m249saw View Post
    Well I guess Ill wait on my can to see how this thing goes. 762-SDN-6 is the same price as the M4-2000

No idea, I'm not really sure. I know that it rates a bit better than some of the other .30 cal cans, so I would imagine its going to be a bit more money. The nice thing about a 30 cal can is that you can use it on your 5.56 weapons also......

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by oregonshooter View Post
    I thought the 300 Whisper did all that?
    It's a SAAMI version of the fairly popular wildcat 300/221 or 300 Fireball and the proprietary 300 Whisper(R).

There is a good customer base for ammo of people who own the above (after a gunsmith checks the chamber vs the SAAMI print) and currently handload as well as a good number of people who know of and want one but do not handload. There are already several smaller companies making the wildcat, once the ammo is available there is no good reason to keep making the wildcat.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stick, that upper seems too short for a carbine length gas system... or is the lack of sleep messing with my head?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Stick, that upper seems too short for a carbine length gas system... or is the lack of sleep messing with my head?

Gas port placement is going to be different as its a different caliber with very different pressure. You are correct that its not a standard carbine system.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Makes sense.

Looks like AAC put together a whole page for the new round. That sucker's beastly looking.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have some hope with all of freedom group behind it, though instances like 260 Rem come to mind (great cartridge, never a match loading for such a great competition round)

Seems like something that could run well in other similar platforms, and smaller 30 Cal cans would be pretty cool too.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, I see the new round but I'm a little less sure about the new mission.

What does it do that is any different ( in terms of mission not ergonomics, accuracy or any other thing related to the platform itself) that an AK won't do?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Ok, I see the new round but I'm a little less sure about the new mission.

What does it do that is any different ( in terms of mission not ergonomics, accuracy or any other thing related to the platform itself) that an AK won't do?

M4 + MP5 + MP7 or 300AAC

I wrote "new mission" because it is capable of replacing all three of the above in their various mission capabilities.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very interesting concept.

IMHO it may have a better future (or at least a better start to position itself) by using a commonly available bulled diameter (thus participating in the economy of scale of bullet production for 7.62x51) than other calibers developed lateley.

It also provides the usability of existing magazines to full capacity - a feature 6.8 SPC promised early on but finally never kept.

I am looking forward to see what will come out of this - interesting times indeed, these days...