Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A 125gr bullet is easily stabilized at 1/8" twist. The center of gravity being behind the nose/drag of the bullet traveling through the air is what makes a bullet want to tumble. The twist must be enough to overcome that force, there is no amount of extra twist that can make a bullet unstable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Noveske Rifleworks will be changing our 300 Fireball barrel production to the 300 AAC BLACKOUT.

We will also make complete rifles and uppers when ammo is available for test firing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by todd.k View Post
    Noveske Rifleworks will be changing our 300 Fireball barrel production to the 300 AAC BLACKOUT.

We will also make complete rifles and uppers when ammo is available for test firing.
    That's cool. Are the chambers very similar?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by paulosantos View Post
    That's cool. Are the chambers very similar?
    Yes, the 300 AAC BLACKOUT is a standardized/SAAMI version of the wildcat 300 Fireball or 300-221 and the proprietary 300 Whisper(R). When I get all the detailed numbers for the chamber I'll be able to say if 300 BLK ammo will be safe to use in our old 300 Fireball chambers.

I'm going to take a fresh look at barrel lengths and function, gas ports will be checked and or set for the factory ammo but not much is going to change from our 300 Fireball but the name. And we will make rifles and uppers now that there is factory ammo to test fire with.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any idea what lengths will be most common in your upper builds Todd?
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sure we will have a 16", for shorter barrels I'm going to test some different lengths for performance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The 16" upper should become a pretty popular deer slayer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    The 16" upper should become a pretty popular deer slayer.
    That's what I've been thinking.

I've been reading all sorts of posts on other sites (of lower quality naturally ) and a lot of arguments were about whether or not it could/would/should replace the 5.56 for the military. Putting aside whether or not the caliber could serve well in that function, I don't get the impression that the designers were at all looking to replace the 5.56 for general military purpose.

The 300 BLK seems to me to serve two different (but not necessarily seperate) customers; 1) those who have a need for a hard hitting close range suppressable weapon and 2) those who have a use for a 30 cal semi auto rifle.

The former are those whose job is to go in harms way; most likely mil/LEO but not always and the latter are just regular folks who compete and hunt.

With both those types, and so long as inexpensive ammo is availble, the 300 BLK is likely to do very well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    That's what I've been thinking.

I've been reading all sorts of posts on other sites (of lower quality naturally ) and a lot of arguments were about whether or not it could/would/should replace the 5.56 for the military. Putting aside whether or not the caliber could serve well in that function, I don't get the impression that the designers were at all looking to replace the 5.56 for general military purpose.

The 300 BLK seems to me to serve two different (but not necessarily seperate) customers; 1) those who have a need for a hard hitting close range suppressable weapon and 2) those who have a use for a 30 cal semi auto rifle.

The former are those whose job is to go in harms way; most likely mil/LEO but not always and the latter are just regular folks who compete and hunt.

With both those types, and so long as inexpensive ammo is availble, the 300 BLK is likely to do very well.
    If you read the press release, they're pretty clear about entering the trials for the M4 replacement. Not the M4 augmentation, but the M4 replacement (which the mil clearly states they're only interested in if something proves worthy enough and demonstrates marked perfromance increases). The scenarios with which AAC pitches the round all have a CQB slant to them, but I'm assuming evaluators will evaluate the cartridge against the same criteria they'd evaluate the 5.56/M4 combo/SCAR/whatever combo. I just don't see how this cartridge will compete at beyond-300 meter ranges. Not that that's a key criteria for LEO or civilian application, but it is for the mil.
    Last edited by jmart; 6 October 2010 at 18:59.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not sure they are looking at things as a full blown M4 replacement, but I also don't see a reason why we are locked into one weapon platform.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a quick bullet picture for people to give an idea of 5.56 vs 300AAC.

Downloads
    Uploads

Something new is coming..... updated - 300 AAC BLACKOUT – New Caliber, New Mission?

Very intriguing round. Having something comparable to to the 30-30 or 7.62x39 in an AR would make a very appealing home defense gun in addition to the subsonic benefits for can users.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    If you read the press release, they're pretty clear about entering the trials for the M4 replacement. .
    I haven't seen the press release but I have seen the website and I don't see where they might said they wanted to enter the M4 replacement trials. The Military Times article doesn't mention it either.

What am I missing?

Downloads
    Uploads
    300 AAC BLACKOUT ammunition is safe to use in Noveske 300 FB barrels with a serial number of 290000 and higher.

Noveske 300 FB barrels with a serial number less than 290000 or without a serial number will need to be checked before using 300 AAC BLACKOUT ammunition. We will be setting up a program to send in older barrels for inspection and reaming if needed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is great news, thank you for sharing the information with us.