Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Colt's LE6940 Advanced LE Carbine

Anyone that has been paying any attention to the market of late is surely aware of Colt's emergent 6940 Advanced LE Carbine. I've not seen one in person, but from what I can glean from digital sources, the main distinction of this weapon seems to simply be the MRP/VIS-like monolithic upper receiver configuration. That aside, a Colt is still a Colt, and for this reason, it certainly deserves a closer look.

Initially, I was curious if perhaps this was the latest manifestation of the earlier M5 / LE1020 Gas Piston Carbine concept, but I believe the LE6940 features a conventional gas system of (presumably) standard carbine length.

Has anyone seen or handled one of these carbines? It would seem to be a nice step forward for Colt, though the market being what it is right now, the asking prices (non-letterhead) I'm seeing are often $2,500 or more.

Aside from this page of basic information and photos, there seems to be relatively little information out there at the moment -- and nothing directly out of Hartford. This could be a great new development if/when the pricing stabilizes a bit; on the other hand, it could simply be Colt's answer to a question that has already been capably dealt with by LMT and VLTOR. Time will tell, but I remain optimistic.

What are your thoughts and impressions of this new model so far?

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like a nice rifle, but I don't like the flipup front site integrated gas block. Looks a little cheap hanging up so high. I prefer the profile to be more flush with the rail.. but that's me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ordered one about a month ago, no word on how much longer I have to wait for it

Downloads
    Uploads
    Where did you order it from if you don't mind me asking?

Downloads
    Uploads
    They are trickling out, and there are a few available on gunbroker.

I got to handle one at SHOT, and talk with Dean Caputo about them for some time.

I like the way the bottom rail removes with nothing more than a bullet tip. I'm obviously not concerned with attaching a 203 but I like to be able to get to the barrel for maintenance or whatever. I would prefer to see it with a fixed front sight and agree that the flipup that it comes with is unfortunate.

It's hard to gauge the pricing and how it relates to the 6920 since the market is so nuts. I'd expect it to be at least a $400-500 premium over a standard 6920 given that a rail system would cost $300+/- and a flipup front sight would be another $100 or so.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unfortunately scarcity and fear have pretty much removed the logical basis that once underwrote AR price structures. Since we've yet to see where the 6920s are going to stabilize (assuming we ever reach a point where availability isn't going to be the driving issue), I suppose it is much too soon to predict where the 6940 is going to level off.

ACAC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Could someone give an explanation of the letterhead/non-letterhead terms, and how it effects colts prices?

Downloads
    Uploads
    My explanation will probably fall short, but essentially what it comes to is this: sworn peace officers who get an "authorization to purchase" letter from their department (on official letterhead stationery) are eligible to purchase law enforcement program weapons at a reduced rate which I believe equates to a Federal Excise Tax-free price. Assuming I've got my facts straight, it isn't so much Colt's pricing that is different, so much as it is that LE-program carbines are otherwise FET-exempt.

The letterhead is required as verification that said weapons will be used, either directly or indirectly, in support of the officer's law enforcement function. I once bought a SIG P226 this way, and while the weapon itself was identical to any other P226 in the showcase, it was stocked as a LE-program weapon, and thus restricted to letterhead sales.

If someone else could tighten up my shot group here, that would be great, as I'm sure I've missed something along the way.

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    That about covers it. Federal Excise tax on firearms is currently 11% if that helps put everything in perspective.

However large group purchases through departments seems to have a discount effect beyond the FET as it relates to Colt carbines, at least. I think it is determined by scale of purchase.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That would make sense. volume discounting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Re: Army Chief, I just purchased a 6940 for $1645 from my local gun shop. The only one he had. Have not shot it yet. He has a (price code) on his tags to remind him what his cost is. I believe it was $1399. I would not be the person to get feedback from as my only experience with an AR was from the Marine Corps, and that was 1976. No help.

Downloads
    Uploads
    They're quite nice. We just sold one on Saturday for $1999.
    VA Arms Co FFL/SOT armorer
    certified HK-sidearms/S&W M&P/BUSHMASTER/GLOCK/SIG-Sauer LE/FNH-SCAR armorer
    competitive shooter sponsored by VA ArmsCo, W.A.R. rifles, BravoCoUSA, BCM, Bobro Engineering, Magpul, Magpul Dynamics, Hatfields Gunsmithing and Greeley Custom

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are a few stores getting them in.. Looks like $1999 seems to be the going price..

Downloads
    Uploads

Post 6940s in stock at a good price

Impact has the 6940s in stock for $1499. They say they ship in 48hours.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/COLT-LE6940.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    I attended a Colt LE Armorer course and had the privelage of ordering one at a reduced price and did so. I got it pretty quickly shipped to my FFl holder. I love it, the floating barrel adds to the accuracy and the easy removal of the rail assembly and the rails themselves are a plus. the flip down front sight is more of a taste thing. I have two other colts boht with fixed front posts, they take a good beating. but the flip down front on the 6940 appears sturdy (I'm not going to test mine to find out) i have fired about 2000 rounds through it in less than a month without a single problem. using Georgia Arms reloads (never had a misfire with them either after about 20000 rounds). The rails give a person alo of options for mounting things if your into that. I put a simple aimpoint optic and between that and the iron sights i hit a tight group up to 300 yards. I havent taken it any further back, just cant imagine the need for that with a 556. I have my 308 for more distance. unless you are a collector since colt never looses value or a real gun nut then go for it you wont be disappointed. If our a basic once a year shooter dont spend the money, Colt and Bushmaster and even Armalite have good basic rifles. Unlike the other rifles I have I have no desire yet to change out parts or add anything other then the optics and a light....