Calling all Yoda types,

This is my first post here and I've been reading as much as I can for ther last few weeks. Great site! No drama, just good information presented in a courteous and professional manner. Lovin' it!

Recently I've been contemplating getting into my first AR and figured that I don't know what I don't know so it would be best to seek out some sound advice. At first I was going to try to build my own AR, but now I think that I'd be better off going with a complete AR for my first one. Below are some notes I've been making as I've been working through just what I want from an AR.

I'm eager to learn and would appreciate any and all comments, suggestions, and thoughts on what I have so far. I'm still saving and budget is a concern, but quality is important as well. I don't want to cut corners, but also don't want to overbuild either. I just want the basics to be solid since it's my first AR and I want it to last a while with minimal/no headaches.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

---------------------------------------------------
Personal Info:
LH shooter;
No .mil or LEO experience.
Only other rifle experience has been with bolt guns.
Have shotgun & handgun experience.

Training will be taken with the AR after I have it.
---------------------------------------------------

AR Build Requirements

Purpose:
Primary use - Defensive/SHTF bug out gun (Good to 300 yds).
Low maintenance (not at expense of durability/reliability)
Spare parts availability
Rugged lower & Upper that can survive in an extended SHTF situation

Type:
DIGS only.
Probably M4 carbine for ease of maneuverability.
Flat-top preferred but not required.
No Full float rails needed. Standard forearm/heatshield is best for now.

CRITERIA:
1. Low cost
2. Simple configuration (w/o compromising future mods)
3. Ambi fire controls
4. Light weight
5. Adjustable stock
6. RDS (co-wit to BUIS)
7. BUIS
8. 5.56 NATO
9. Chrome lined chamber & barrel

I currently have my eyes on the Spike's Tactical ST-15 M4 LE Carbine as a good quality starter to build on.