Downloads
    Uploads

Storing the BCG: Help!

I finally got to go home for one day here a couple of weeks ago. My weapons are stored in an area away from the house in an uncontrolled temperature environment. I noticed some pitting starting on the carriers, so removed the BCG's from the rifles and placed them in a tupperwear container, covered them with a quart of synthetic motor oil, and sealed the container. Does anyone see anything wrong with this? I only had a few minutes to tend to my weapons and this was the quickest solution I could find for the problem at the moment. My barrells are all stainless steel, so I was not worried about them. Gave them and the actions a quick shot of lube and put them back in their cases. The BCG's were my primary concern at the moment.

My home is unattended for months at a time, hence the storing of my weapons in a hidden area.

Thanks for any advice!
    www.logicalprepper.com
    "The most important thing about being prepared for a crisis is physical and mental fitness. It matters not how many weapons and ammo you have, or how much food you have hidden away, or what your bushcraft skills are. If you can't lug your gear to get the hell out of Dodge or if you are prone to panic... you might as well just stay there in front of the T.V. munching cheese doodles while the world falls apart." The Logical Prepper

Downloads
    Uploads
    What kind of cases are you storing them in? I have seen several guns stored in cases that have had bad rusting issues. Some cases seem to trap moister.
    Putting the BCGs in oil should take care of them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your method of preservation should be fine. I've stored spare bolts and carriers in a similar manner, but used a good coat of Break-Free LP in a zip-lock bag.

Downloads
    Uploads
    + 1 on the oil/lube & zip bag.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Depending on what you may consider "extreme" protection for extended storage periods, you can also use cosmoline. Id put that into a category along the lines of "archiving" your firearms. LOL
    And can be a pain to clean out of nooks and crevices. But it just matters how much protection youre really looking for.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been stuck storing complete rifles like that - it does work, even in really adverse temperature/humidity environments.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Has anyone tried the Brownells storage bags?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...M-STORAGE-BAGS

Downloads
    Uploads
    Each rifle has its own Pelican 1720 Case. I probably should get some dessicant packs to throw in. There were just a couple of tiny pits forming on one of the bolt carriers. I think those cases are good to go, and I may have panicked a little. My only concern with storing the BCG's in motor oil would be deterioration of the "O" ring... but that worry is probably unfounded. The area is normally very low humidity, but does experience extreme temperature changes at various times of the year. That said, I do not know what the ambient humidity was when I closed the rifles up a few months back. I sort of planned ahead a little when I built the rifles; knowing they would be stored a lot I used stainless barrels on all of them. Yup, that was the main reason (95%) I chose stainless. It really had little to do with accuracy or any other reason. I will check out Cosmoline and those special bags. Thanks for the tips guys!
    www.logicalprepper.com
    "The most important thing about being prepared for a crisis is physical and mental fitness. It matters not how many weapons and ammo you have, or how much food you have hidden away, or what your bushcraft skills are. If you can't lug your gear to get the hell out of Dodge or if you are prone to panic... you might as well just stay there in front of the T.V. munching cheese doodles while the world falls apart." The Logical Prepper

Downloads
    Uploads
    5PINS, I hope somebody gives a response as to those bags.
    www.logicalprepper.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Quib View Post
    Your method of preservation should be fine. I've stored spare bolts and carriers in a similar manner, but used a good coat of Break-Free LP in a zip-lock bag.
    That is a good idea Quib. Better than my quick fix for sure. I actually thought of that, but did not know whether the lube would eventually eat through the bag or not. No issues with that? Sure would be a lot less messy when I need to get them back out.
    www.logicalprepper.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Marine Grease from WalMart is pretty hearty stuff when it comes to corrosion protection and staying in place. I've used it before when putting stuff away for a while and not wanting it to rust up in this SE Texas humidity.