Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk ACR

Downloads
    Uploads

Let's Talk ACR

Hey All,

Since this forum is aptly titled "Weapon Evolution" I figured we'd discuss next-gen designs, i.e. the ACR, the SCAR, the ARX160, etc.

What does everyone think about the ACR? I'd like to keep this discussion professional--please no Bushmaster bashing. We all know Cerberus royally screwed the release.

Personally, I think the ACR is a good design, but is a design that has a lot of maturing to go. Owners & informed members--what do you think of the ACR?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Having owned an ACR I was greatly displeased with the rifle as a whole. It was bulky, the grip was terrible, and the lack of support/parts really killed my buzz with it. I sold it about 3 months after I got it and built a much better rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was underwhelmed by the ACR. I bought both an ACR and a SCAR. I would concur with the points that The-S listed and also add that the platform was very nose heavy. I sold it shortly after, the SCAR on the otherhand I absolutely love. I have approx. 8500rds throught the SCAR right now and have no complaints on the platform.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - - Albert Einstein

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have had many occasions to purchase both ACR and SCAR. The ACR have some very attractive features that are unfortunately a part of a poorly implemented design. For one, I hate the fact that they still insist on using a 1/9 twist barrel for a rifle that they are trying to sell for more than $2k. I think it is a bunch of crap that the 1/7 twist is only available for LE/Military sales and not even offered as an option.

I also seriously considered a SCAR but the lack of parts availability makes this platform prohibitive. If I am going to be spending, again over $2k on a platform I would like the ability to locate and purchase parts. IMHO the SCAR screams "SBR!!" but since the 10.5" barrel is only available to LE and Military organizations, FNH-USA can go pound sand. I refuse to give my money to any gun maker who are biased towards us mere civilians in terms of options (outside of NFA items, of course).

Unless there is some sort of law that says they cannot sell 10.5" or 1/7-twist barrels both Bushmaster and FNH are on my shit list for the policies they have adopted. JM2CW.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosDJackal View Post
    Unless there is some sort of law that says they cannot sell 10.5" or 1/7-twist barrels both Bushmaster and FNH are on my shit list for the policies they have adopted. JM2CW.
    The short SCAR barrels are not made in the US, barrels for rifles that could not be imported as sporting are not allowed to be imported. An SBR would not be importable as sporting, so the barrels are not.

You can't take it personally, right or wrong those companies probably do not consider the market big enough to make those products worth setting up for manufacture and stocking.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by todd.k View Post
    The short SCAR barrels are not made in the US, barrels for rifles that could not be imported as sporting are not allowed to be imported. An SBR would not be importable as sporting, so the barrels are not.

You can't take it personally, right or wrong those companies probably do not consider the market big enough to make those products worth setting up for manufacture and stocking.
    No personal feelings involved, it's just business. I make the conscious decision not to buy certain items from certain companies because of their business decisions about selling to the commercial market (IE: H&K). In today's economy it's no big skin off my nose if they don't want my money. There is always someone else who is willing to fill in the gaps with quality alternatives.

As far as the FNH barrels not being made in the US, so be it. You'd think that they could find a local barrel maker who can make the 10.5" versions to their specs if there was a market. I personally don't like the look of a 16" SCAR-L; I think it's absolutely fugly. YMMV.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosDJackal View Post
    As far as the FNH barrels not being made in the US, so be it. You'd think that they could find a local barrel maker who can make the 10.5" versions to their specs if there was a market. I personally don't like the look of a 16" SCAR-L; I think it's absolutely fugly. YMMV.
    That's just it... there isn't a market. For every customer that buys a SBR, there are 100 that are just as happy with a normal rifle. Most people aren't even aware of the possibility, and most of those that are can't fathom spending $200+ to remove 6" from a rifle barrel.

As far as the ACR goes, I think they're a piece of garbage. The shop I work at ordered two when they came out. One of them broke as we were demonstrating the quick change barrel feature (we were doing it correctly, the wrench just snapped off), and parts had to be sent to us to repair. They both had the FCG recall. We ultimately sold one for cost, and donated the other to a raffle for a worthy cause. Aside from the quality control issues, recalls, being ridiculously heavy, and having poor ergonomics- I didn't find the design to be very impressive.

I wouldn't buy one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For background, I own Noveske and BCM SBR's and shoot weekly. I have owned an ACR since it's release and could not be more pleased. I had my ACR barrel cut to 12.5" and love it. I am not a bushmaster fan, for the obvious quality control issues and I agree with the previously mentioned short comings of the release (weight and twist). All in all, I would definitely buy it again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wonder what might have come of the ACR if it had remained the Masada (and/or if someone else than Bushmaster had produced it)? Personally, when they moved the location of the charging handle I knew something was awry.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My ACR fund *should have* turned into an LMT MRP fund, but instead I decided to buy a Mk12 upper, and now it's the longest of three.

In all honesty, for the price of an ACR even now, you find yourself squarely in the range of buying a Noveske FFL lower, Colt LPK, Geissele SSA; LMT MRP Upper with TROY or KAC Irons and putting it together yourself, or at least comparable - for price, not for performance.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ive been happy with mine.

10.5" LW barrel. It is still heavier, but its not that bad with the shorter / lighter barrel. I have a Mini-4 pending now for it.

I have a second with a 14.5 LW which I like as well.

I prefer the ergonomics, but without the parts support I cannot give up my AR's yet.

If the remington version became available I would pick that up in a heartbeat.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For the owners--what do you think about the charging handle location? Is it awkward or is charging the gun fairly straightforward?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have no problem with the charging handle location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its going to be interesting to see where SHOT 2012 takes the ACR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Its going to be interesting to see where SHOT 2012 takes the ACR.
    You think Cerberus will release a .300BLK barrel for the ACR?