Ruger sent me their new Mini-30 Tactical for testing and evaluation. Got it in yesterday. No time for a range session yet, but here's the out of the box review. I've owned two in the past but am not all that familiar with the Mini family as I'm an AR-type guy. My previous experience with the Mini-30 was limited - I had my first cut from 18.5 inches to 16 inches to make a short carbine. The rifle never functioned properly after the surgery and I got rid of it.

I later acquired a second, but didn't keep it long because high capacity magazines were hard to find, expensive, and never functioned reliably. I heard that Ruger was coming out with a revised model featuring tighter tolerances and military iron sights and let it go. This was several years ago, and in the meantime I pretty much gave up hopes of getting a Mini-30 configured like I wanted....

...until now

The 16 inch heavy barreled Mini-30 Tactical was exactly the rifle I had envisioned.

Specifications:

Manufacturer: Sturm, Ruger & Co
Model: Mini-30 Tactical
Caliber: 7.62x39mm
Overall length: 36.75 in
Barrel length: 16.1 in
Rifling twist: 1/10 in
Muzzle thread: 5/8 x 24 TPI
Weight: 6.73 lbs
Loaded magazine weight, (20 rds): 18.8 oz
Trigger pull: 5 lbs 11.5 oz

Included with the rifle is an owner's manual, one 20 round magazine, and a set of 1-inch rings. Also included is an action lock, already misplaced. Oh well...

This is an attractive little carbine. The sights are a great improvement.

Also attached to the heavy barrel is the AC-556 styled flash suppressor, which I like. The Ruger flash suppressor is unique among others in the industry and visually distinct.

Barrel diameter forward of the gas block measured at 0.782 in.

Barrel diameter aft of the gas block measured at 0.623 in.