This seems to be one of the most lucid and no-nensense gun forums I have seen, so I thought I would join and ask about an AR opportunity I have. I have a chance to pick up a complete Spikes midlength rifle from a local GS. I really like to support the local guy, so I typically try to work with him and what he can get. Right now, that is Spikes. I have checked out the rifle, and it mates to the lower well. Staking is very good, and the M4 feed ramps look nice. BCG isn't as smooth as a Daniel Defense unit, but it is properly staked and an auto bolt. The castle nut on the buffer is also staked. The lower has a painted red spider logo on it.

Now, onto my questions:

1. The specs from Spikes say this is a good to go, out the door, mil-spec level firearm. The internet (other forums) seem to believe that Spikes is faking it with the specs. Are they or are they not a mil-spec product?

2. Would a trade of a BM XM 15 with very low but 100% function be a good trade for a Spikes? The BM is accurate with 50-55 grain ammo which is the bulk of what is available in the area. The intention here is to go more milspec, but with a midlength gas system. The concern is the 1:7 twist barrel on the Spikes vs. the 1:9 on the BM. The BM makes a decent varmint, shtf, and plinker with that barrel twist, how does the 1:7 from Spike's do?

If you own a Spikes, I would love to hear how you like your gun, and what kind of accuracy expectations I should have with a magnified optic. How has your experience with Spikes been?