Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by triplebravo View Post
    You'll always find more things to spend money on. The important thing is not to waste any money on poor products that you'll end up needing to replace. You are on the right track choosing BCM, Denver45...don't settle on inferior products to save a few bucks.
    Thanks for the input and that's exactly what I'm trying to do. My wife wants a new Kimber Aegis chambered in 9mm which I'm trying to get her for Xmas. That is going to get me a free pass on this build but that will only go so far. I need to make the most of it while I can before all the extra money goes into home improvement again. lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    This really is going to turn into a sickness isn't it? I'm going to need a 12 step program as in 12 steps to the ammo and parts store.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can't go wrong with BCM, you'll be very pleased with their products. Heartily agree with tripleBravo, don't waste money on the cheaper stuff, you'll end up spending more in the long run, and have a box full of unused junk. I could have saved myself quite a few $$$ (not to mention headaches) if I looked at them before I attempted my first build. A well made upper, with a solid BCG (BCM, LMT, etc.) is worth its weight in gold man. Currently run a 16" BFH mid, with a DD 12.0 Lite rail, and couldn't be happier with it. Another way to shave off a few bucks is to look at Magpuls MOE line for your grip and/or stock. And as great as the Troy BUIS are, you can do well with the Magpuls. Better to buy less expensive back up irons, and have more to drop on a quality optic, IMHO. When it comes to the "toys" such as VFGs, lights, lasers, ready-mags, and such; try to get a feel for them before you buy. I’ve seen allot of people deck out their guns to the fullest, only to find it too heavy or just plain impractical. Good luck, have fun with the project, and find what works for YOU. And yes, it is a sickness. lol. Cheers!
    -Los

"I like my weapons like I like my women, slightly dirty, and well lubed."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mlosi762 View Post
    Can't go wrong with BCM, you'll be very pleased with their products. Heartily agree with tripleBravo, don't waste money on the cheaper stuff, you'll end up spending more in the long run, and have a box full of unused junk. I could have saved myself quite a few $$$ (not to mention headaches) if I looked at them before I attempted my first build. A well made upper, with a solid BCG (BCM, LMT, etc.) is worth its weight in gold man. Currently run a 16" BFH mid, with a DD 12.0 Lite rail, and couldn't be happier with it. Another way to shave off a few bucks is to look at Magpuls MOE line for your grip and/or stock. And as great as the Troy BUIS are, you can do well with the Magpuls. Better to buy less expensive back up irons, and have more to drop on a quality optic, IMHO. When it comes to the "toys" such as VFGs, lights, lasers, ready-mags, and such; try to get a feel for them before you buy. I’ve seen allot of people deck out their guns to the fullest, only to find it too heavy or just plain impractical. Good luck, have fun with the project, and find what works for YOU. And yes, it is a sickness. lol. Cheers!
    Thanks. I can see how it would be easy to go overboard. I've seen pics of $1000 rifles with an additional $1500 in rail mounted accessories. The pics look cool but I wouldn't know what to do with it if you handed it to me.

I plan on eventually running an Aimpoint and a 3x magnifier which will probably weigh the rifle down a bit before I look at VFG's and taclights and mounts. I want to have the option for fighting in the dark but I already have a pistol and backup pistol with lights for home defense so those aren't nearly as important just yet. I'll probably never shoot anything more threatening than a target with this rifle but I'd like it to be set up and ready in a basic multirole configuration just in case.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a huge fan of Magpul stocks and magazines, but I don't care for their sights.

I'd stick with metal backup sights...you have plenty of room for them with that budget.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-10 View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Magpul stocks and magazines, but I don't care for their sights.

I'd stick with metal backup sights...you have plenty of room for them with that budget.
    Do you have experience with the UBR and the Moe? Is the UBR worth the price of admission? I like the idea of having a butt stock that is sturdy enough to hit things with. Also, I love the way they look and the idea of pulling the balance of the rifle back a bit for ease of use but the $$$ for them seems a bit excessive.

I haven't even scratched the surface of flip up sights yet. I hear great things about Troy but I'm sure there are many options out there. I need to go back through the product reviews sooner than later.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a UBR and a CTR which is the same thing as the MOE but with a friction lock and a QD hole.

I should add, that my CTR fits the receiver extension so well, it almost doesn't even need a friction lock.

If I ever build another lightweight carbine and I need a cheap stock without a sling attachment point I'm going to buy an MOE.

The UBR is a great stock too, but it is much heavier than the CTR and MOE. Once you pull one out of the box you will see why - they are built like a tank.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I'll be sticking with the Moe or CTR at this point, as well as a full compliment of pmags.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I love me some PMAG's.

Here's my newest build after I replaced the CTR with a SOPMOD:

I needed battery storage, and the cheekweld on the SOPMOD feels heavenly.

I am building this one for a carbine class, so this one's gonna take a beatin'.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I love me some PMAG's.

Here's my newest build after I replaced the CTR with a SOPMOD:

I needed battery storage, and the cheekweld on the SOPMOD feels heavenly.

I am building this one for a carbine class, so this one's gonna take a beatin'.
    I'm in trouble. I work from home quite a bit and I'm having a hard time focusing already. I'm in over my head.

I hadn't thought about battery storage. I may have to look into that as well. I want to take a carbine class as well as participating in some competitive shooting. I notice you are just running iron sights. Is that normal for a carbine class or more of a preference? I have a defensive pistol class in the first week of December and was planning on asking the instructor about any offerings they may have.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No sir, I am putting a Micro T-1 on this particular upper I just haven't coughed up the $500 for it yet.

I already have the ADM mount.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No sir, I am putting a Micro T-1 on this particular upper I just haven't coughed up the $500 for it yet.

I already have the ADM mount.
    I've been seeing those T-1's a lot. Besides the advantage of a smaller size, do you give up anything over the M3's and M4's from Aimpoint? NV is not something I need to worry about. Just curious if there are any real tradeoffs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The compact size means less weight and clutter, and the tube itself has a thinner wall which means you don't really notice it when looking through the optic.

Also, the T-1 is in fact NV-compatible.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The T1 runs great in front of a PVS14 (if it becomes relevant later). The Micros are lighter, still great battery life, and with the right riser works great - while there are things to gain with the larger tubes (C3, M3, M4(S)).

I'm a tremendous fan of the Aimpoint Micro lines, thought he best value is still finding a used ML3 or something similar. If a few ounces won't upset the balance of your rifle, then I really do think the more affordable optic is probably a better choice. I still use an M4S for my SBR, and if NV isn't a consideration I tend to run the H-1 Micro (finer adjustment range, and the different finish/dive capability won't affect those rifles)
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    The T1 runs great in front of a PVS14 (if it becomes relevant later). The Micros are lighter, still great battery life, and with the right riser works great - while there are things to gain with the larger tubes (C3, M3, M4(S)).

I'm a tremendous fan of the Aimpoint Micro lines, thought he best value is still finding a used ML3 or something similar. If a few ounces won't upset the balance of your rifle, then I really do think the more affordable optic is probably a better choice. I still use an M4S for my SBR, and if NV isn't a consideration I tend to run the H-1 Micro (finer adjustment range, and the different finish/dive capability won't affect those rifles)
    Good to know. I don't mind buying used if I can tell the optic was treated well. I do plan on getting the red dot first and then trying to get a 3x magnifier in behind it on a mount that will flip out of the way later on. It just makes too much sense to be able to reach out that much further when you want/need to.