Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone shoot 6.8 spc here?

I keep on hearing 6.8 coming into discussions in AR discussions. I see now that Noveske makes some 6.8 stuff..Spike's is also..

SO, who here has gone into the 6.8spc world? And more importantly why? Can you list what you bought and why you bought the size you did (barrel size)? Pics are a plus...

Im looking for a Christmas present for myself!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I built a 6.8 before ammo was available. Excellent terminal performance especially from shorter barrels are the reason I own one.

I have a 10.5" that is only used with an AAC M4-2000 6.8 silencer attached. Used for hunting and HD/SD I wanted as short as practical with the silencer attached.
    Last edited by todd.k; 18 November 2010 at 08:50.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Had 7 of them. 2 14", 3 16", 1 18", and 1 20". Great for hunting, too expensive for everything else.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have one also, good for short range hog and deer hunting, ammo is to expensive for everyday shooting. SSA has said they were going to come out with a less expensive training round 'soon', we'll see.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ive noticed that a lot of people are saying that its a way better round for "Home Protection"..."hunting"..coupled by the fact that it weighs less than a .308 rifle and it uses a AR lower (I know .308 can touch something/someone a lot farther out). The only "bad" thing is the cost of ammo - which I really don't think its that bad.

Any other pros/cons?

Downloads
    Uploads
    When you compare premium 6.8 ammo to the premium 6.8 ammo, the prices are similar. The 5.56 has the cheap plinking ammo and cheaper plinking bullets to reload. For hunting, the 6.8 SPC is a better round, but the 5.56 has come out with some good hunting loads using the Barnes TSX bullets, so it is getting closer. The 5.56 has the Pmags, which are some of the best available.

What do you plan on using it for?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I cant use it as my work weapon so it would basically be for Home Defense..(MAYBE some hunting if I ever get off my lazy ass!). Its more of a want of something different. I was looking for something with a shorter barrel for CQB Home Defense. But wasnt looking too seriously. I just kept on hearing it come up in conversations and then I just happened to drift onto Novesky website..

Downloads
    Uploads
    I built a 6.8 spc a while back, but I haven't had a chance to really evaluate it. I must admit, the ammo prices are part of the reason for the delay in my putting it through some paces.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by triplebravo View Post
    I built a 6.8 spc a while back, but I haven't had a chance to really evaluate it. I must admit, the ammo prices are part of the reason for the delay in my putting it through some paces.

I like!

The more I read, the more I would use it for CQB/Home Defense(SHTF)..

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have one. Got it mainly for a bit more range and a better hunting round HD, than the 5.56. I got the A4 model from RRA http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=250

Mine has the 1:10 twist, I hear the 1:11 is the one to get now. If you do get one, make sure it is Spec II. You should buy one. If more people get them, maybe we will get an affordable plinking round!

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's not as hard as people think to have the advantages of the 6.8 and shoot cheap ammo for training. One upper in 6.8 and one upper in 5.56 set up the same. The cost of ammo makes it a poor choice for an only AR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Agree with what Todd said. If all my personal ARs caught fire or got stolen tomorrow I'd pick up an AAC M4-2K in 6.8, and identical SBR uppers with Switchblocks from Noveske, one chrome-lined in 5.56 and one stainless in 6.8, and train with the 5.56 and run the 6.8 for HD and hunting. magazines for the 6.8 would be my main reservation. Still not sure if I'd do 12.5" or 10.5" though.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by todd.k View Post
    It's not as hard as people think to have the advantages of the 6.8 and shoot cheap ammo for training. One upper in 6.8 and one upper in 5.56 set up the same. The cost of ammo makes it a poor choice for an only AR.
    Agreed. It wouldn't be my only rifle. I was already pondering the purchase of another rifle with a shorter barrel when the discussion of 6.8 come into play. It's just something that made me say ...HMM. I have a FEELING that a 6.8 is going to be put on my Christmas list along with a couple of flashlights (HDS/Oveready) that I'm itching for.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post
    I have one. Got it mainly for a bit more range and a better hunting round HD, than the 5.56. I got the A4 model from RRA http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=250

Mine has the 1:10 twist, I hear the 1:11 is the one to get now. If you do get one, make sure it is Spec II. You should buy one. If more people get them, maybe we will get an affordable plinking round!
    Spec 2???

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by neo9710 View Post
    Spec 2???
    He is referring to the SPCII Chamber. SPCII Chamber is like the 5.56 chamber.