I was very interested when I first saw the Primary Weapons Systems Enhanced Buffer Tube. I finally got one and wanted to brief everyone because there isn't a lot of info out there about this accessory.

I never liked having to index the buffer tube or stake the castle nut when building a lower. It bugs me if it's even a gnat's ass off center, and it's hard to get good staking on the castle nut without special tools. The PWS tube eliminates both these problems.

It came packaged very nicely, double-boxed and wrapped in shipping paper. The tools and retaining plate are packaged separately. The extrusion and machining are above average. They offer a forged version as well but I see no advantage and it's twice the cost of the extrusion. Two QD sling swivel attachments are machined into the front of the buffer tube. They are both rotation-limited. The tube is mil-spec diameter. I don't think they offer a commercial size.

The buffer retainer snaps into a hole at the end of the tube, securing it in a centered position. 2 Allen screws are tightened up top, then the lower Allen screw is tightened to finish assembly.

The upper Allen screws are only 1/16 in. The wrench they provided promptly stripped. My trusty Craftsman fit snugly even after this - I was surprised the head of the screw was undamaged. The lower screw is 3/16 in. I would recommend you throw the provided tools in the trash and use a quality set, otherwise you risk stripping the heads of the super small screws and then you're screwed (zing!). These small screws are the only negative in my opinion. Once they are snug, everything is fine but they are the weakest point in this design. I would not recommend using thread locker on these. PWS says it's optional.

The buffer comes with instructions that are easy to understand, if a bit wordy (much like myself).

PWS claims their design reduces carrier tilt in piston guns because it protrudes further into the lower than a typical buffer tube. I do not have any evidence to support this but while scouring the internet I did not find anything to the contrary.

One more feature is the addition of a dead blow buffer at the far end of the tube. This is supposed to reduce recoil. I haven't shot it yet so I can't tell you if this is significant.

At $75, it's a little costly but it offers something different and options are good.

After I get some trigger time on this gun I'll post my observations.

Your thoughts and opinions are welcome.

PWS Web Site Product Page

Some pictures: