Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

LEO's - What eyewear do you use?

This is aimed more towards Police Officers because I intend to use it with my Active shooter gear. But what eye protection do you guys use? I recently went through re-qualifications. We went through an old building and of course all the dust and crap was airborne..

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm still back and forth with it, even though I know I should be wearing it all the time. I have an unreleased pair of Oakleys that get a lot of use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I'm still back and forth with it, even though I know I should be wearing it all the time. I have an unreleased pair of Oakleys that get a lot of use.
    Man..you get all the good stuff! I feel for your partners who work your shift. I bet every time you go into your trunk/bag to get something, one of your partners goes.."where the hell did he get that?!?!"

A lot of people go back and fourth. Its a given that if you just roll up on a situation, you might not have the luxury of pulling out eye protection.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oakleys and the new Rudy project tactical wear. GQ ready sir, after all, it's Kalifornia ; P

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by neo9710 View Post
    I feel for your partners who work your shift. I bet every time you go into your trunk/bag to get something, one of your partners goes.."where the hell did he get that?!?!"
    ^^^Not too far from the truth^^^

As for me, I wear Oakley Half-Jackets during the day and prescription glasses at night. I need to buy a pair of prescription transition glasses with ballistic protection.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    I too usually wear Oakley Half-Jackets at work. I am lucky, my prescription is relatively light, and I can get my lenses made in it with no problem. I also usually get them polarized. It cuts glare from car windows and allows me a better view of the occupants.

I also have prescription clear HJ lenses. I am somewhat remiss about wearing them all the time at night though. Unfortunately, most LE don't consider eye protection until after the fact. Guys will carry two of everything that goes bang or has an edge, wear body armor religiously, but don't think about how easy it is to get a piece of debris, fluids, or a finger in their eyes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been using a pair from ESS at the range and like the setup. I am not a police officer but do spend a great deal of time wearing them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not a LEO, so I hope you don't mind my input. I'm using my third pair of ESS ICE, very satisfied with them, will probably stick to them for a while...
    Naive fools can not see, so they must feel!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post
    I too usually wear Oakley Half-Jackets at work. I am lucky, my prescription is relatively light, and I can get my lenses made in it with no problem. I also usually get them polarized. It cuts glare from car windows and allows me a better view of the occupants.

I also have prescription clear HJ lenses. I am somewhat remiss about wearing them all the time at night though. Unfortunately, most LE don't consider eye protection until after the fact. Guys will carry two of everything that goes bang or has an edge, wear body armor religiously, but don't think about how easy it is to get a piece of debris, fluids, or a finger in their eyes.
    I just ordered a set of the Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ's. Im the same way though. I know Im not going to be wearing them all the time. If I am going into an already occurring situation and I have a chance to throw them on, I probably will. But its all time and circumstance - just like most the things we do or have to do.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I picked up a pair of the ESS CDI glasses while at SHOT. So far I am enjoying them.
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not as pricey, but i like my Revision Hellflys.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfBravo View Post
    Not a LEO, so I hope you don't mind my input. I'm using my third pair of ESS ICE, very satisfied with them, will probably stick to them for a while...
    Just a PSA: If you're using ICE NARO eyewear systems, certain lots are off the Army's APEL for failing ballistics tests. Be sure to check yours.

And for the rest of yas! I happen to be of the mindset that if it's good enough to protect our Armed Forces downrange, then it will probably work at the range or for active protection. There are a few models that will fight the dust, most notably offerings from Wiley-X.

[Edit]

Some secondary thoughts:

You won't find me outside anywhere, in any uniform, without protective eyewear. I even put the stuff on to walk to the restroom (ah, the luxury of in-house toilets) here in Iraq. It's not because I expect to be blown up, but on multiple occasions I've had incidents where projectile objects have come near to my face. Rocks kicked up by vehicles will knock out an eye just as easy as anything else.

When I was back in the States, I was doing some yard work one summer and had grabbed a pair of ballistic glasses just because they were shaded. The tool I was using to unseat a sprinkler housing slipped and headed straight for my eye (that damn thing was really dug in!). Deflected with only a prominent ding in the plastic of the eyewear.

Don't discount their uses!

When choosing a model of eyewear, be mindful of its construction. I own a few different types, including:

ESS ICE
    Revision Sawfly
    UVEX Genesis XC (fits over conservative glasses) - My wife uses these at the range.

Some models have a solid plastic visor, with no brow bar. With extended use, I've noticed some of these will pick up skin oils from the brow area. The last thing a shooter needs is to be reaching for his glasses.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

- Cannon
    Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 18 February 2011 at 04:57. Reason: Thoughts, and some links.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am no longer in a patrol capacity, but when I was I used Revision sawflys. The last 6 months before heading back into our training unit, I took to wearing the clear lenses when not wearing the dark lenses. Basically - all the time eye armor.

Boltgun

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wear Oakley Half Jackets most of the time at work during the day. I have a pair of cheap clear eyepro I keep handy on night shift in case I can remember to grab it if called for.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by zero7one View Post
    I picked up a pair of the ESS CDI glasses while at SHOT. So far I am enjoying them.
    Just an update...

I have ditched the Oakley Half-Jackets and wear the ESS CDI's all the time to include patrol, range, and off-duty. They are extremely comfortable and have a lot more coverage than the half-jackets did. Thumbs up to ESS!!!