Downloads
    Uploads

Looking to build a LH designated AR

I want to build a LH AR 15 and has anyone else done so …?
    Your experience and feedback please is very welcomed indeed!

My thoughts are:

Mid-length gas system.
    16” barrel – LW profile
    STAG/CMT LH upper assembly
    Utilize the M16 bolt and carrier group Stag offers for the LH
    Mega or Spikes biohazard ambi bolt release lower receiver
    Badger Ordnance LH designated charging handle
    Ergo ambi grip
    Undecided on fore-end, flash suppressor or stock

Q: Which manufactures’ make an ambi barrel or have them make me an ambi barrel if I provide them the ambi barrel extension?

Q: Any other advice and/or suggestions are welcomed ….

Thanks in advance ….

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good choice on the barrel length, profile and gas system, not sure what you mean by an ambi barrel though.

This is something you may be interested in since you're building a dedicated lefty:

http://troyind.com/%20/anew-products...-coming-soon-2
    Last edited by AR-10; 8 January 2011 at 14:02.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Depending on what's in stock, aside from Knight's Armament (the SR15E3 IWS is very left friendly), Rainier might be the place to look - they stock CMT Lefty Uppers and BCG's, as well as barrels for the flipped extensions.

They guys at Rainier might be the best for that, though depending on what LH models are on sale direct from Stag, might work to start with those and then install parts piecewise.

For my part, I'm not a fan of the LH uppers, and for my wife, I took a KAC SR-15 lower (maximally ambi), and just made a lightweight upper with an X300 mounted at 12:00. Still ejects 'wrong' side, but with some RTV silicone on the charging handle, and the brass deflector, it hasn't posed any problems, and the benefits of the ambidextrous lower have been great.
    More affordably, any stripped lower can be improved with the Battle Arms Development Ambi selector, and a Norgon ambi catch. I'm clueless on ambidextrous charging handles... the BCM GF5 has worked well so far.

[ETA] For reference:

Last edited by TehLlama; 30 December 2010 at 21:36.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am a L/H shooter, since a young age of 17 with the USMC, all I've ever shot was a M16/AR15 for R/H shooters. I currently run a Colt M4 at work. I guess the 1st point I am making is TRAINING. The AR platform is user friendly and as a L/H shooter, I like the AR Platform over some others I have used or tried, ex-AUG, HK, Sig, & FN. I have shot a dedicated L/H upper, kinda freaked me out at first. My muscle memory kept kicking in and I cursed myself for it. A 2nd point is from my prespective, if I have to use another LEO/MIL person's AR platform, not too much to think about. Your selection is top notch and great for a build. "Just saying", maybe try both=L/H-R/H and go to a good carbine class like VTAC or Magpul and test yourself. Mega Machine has a nice ambi lower, as do Knight-SR15 E3, I have to safe my pennies now.

All my personal AR have been modified to function ambi, BAD ASS levers, BCM charging handle, Magpul folding rear sight is ambi friendly.