Downloads
    Uploads

First budget build

First of all, GREAT place you guys have here. I finally have my "shopping list" of parts and components, and wanted to get some feedback and opinion please!

What I'm looking for

Since this is my first build, I don't want to over-complicate it. I'll mostly be using this as a range gun and would like to have it accommodate in the home defense department as well. The lighter the better, although I don't want to sacrifice for lack of necessary utility. Since I'm also constrained to a budget (I plan on gathering various pieces over time), I'm going with the Spike's / Magpul build. Also I'm in TX if that helps!

Here's what I have

What I'm looking at

Extras (eventual upgrades)

Tools

Questions

1. Is there anything I'm missing?
    2. Anyone know if the Spike's FSB is easily removable? Down the road I'll want to add an optic (Aimpoint or Eotech) and not sure if i'll be co-witnessing. If so I might just prefer to have a Magpul front sight that can flip up if I want.
    Last edited by solarshock; 30 December 2010 at 09:47.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome. It looks like you have put a lot of work into your build plans there and have some solid pieces of gear listed. The DPMS parts kits seem to be hit and miss, so I would probably consider something else. I have been using Stag kits, but there are plenty of other good ones. The Noveske KX3 Flash Suppressor will of course fit on the 16" LW barrel, but will add bulk/weight where it is not needed. The KX3 shines on a SBR. For lights, have you considered an LED instead of an incandescent? I just picked up a Surefire G2X Tactical and only run about $55 and have a 200 lumen output.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I totally agree with Eric. Get a different lower parts kit and ditch the flaming pig (KX3). For a weaponlight, the Surefire G2 series are nice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gentlemen, thanks for your hasty advice. That's what I get for not posting this yesterday! Fortunately I haven't opened the LRPK so maybe I can sell it and go with a Stag kit instead.

Eric - I'll take a look at the G2X. That's one area where I didn't do too much digging since it's just a wishlist item but I'll admit I like the idea of an LED light instead. I don't see the G2X listed on the GS-3100 product page as a supported light but I'll contact Gear Sector and see if they have something available (unless you know of one).

Does anyone have any info on the ST uppers regarding FSB and flash hider removal? I was originally going to go with a BCM upper but after reading about the headaches of removing their FSB (and Stickman's review for Spike's M4 upper!) I started looking elsewhere.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gentlemen, thanks for your hasty advice. That's what I get for not posting this yesterday! Fortunately I haven't opened the LRPK so maybe I can sell it and go with a Stag kit instead.

Eric - I'll take a look at the G2X. That's one area where I didn't do too much digging since it's just a wishlist item but I'll admit I like the idea of an LED light instead. I don't see the G2X listed on the GS-3100 product page as a supported light but I'll contact Gear Sector and see if they have something available (unless you know of one).

Does anyone have any info on the ST uppers regarding FSB and flash hider removal (barring I don't request they pin and weld one on)? I was originally going to go with a BCM upper but after reading about the headaches of removing their FSB (and Stickman's review for Spike's M4 upper!) I started looking elsewhere.

Will that Riflegear Lower Receiver Builders Kit be sufficient in putting the lower together? I don't think it has a 5/32" roll pin punch and there are some assembly guides out there that say you need it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome, solarshock! Your build does look good but I am curious why you're going with the carbine instead of midlength gas system?

I'd also suggest a better LPK now so you don't worry about it later. Meanwile the DPMS would make a great set of spare parts or you could resell it. So far I've seen LPKs from DPMS, Del-Ton, Bushmaster, RRA, Stag and ArmaLite and observed that the DPMS wasn't quite up to the same level as the others. I really like Stag and ArmaLite. The Stag has an unnotched hammer which can be an advantage, say for a 22LR upper.

Excellent choice with the BCM receiver extension/kit. I have two now and real happy with them. Even though you have the Spikes ST-T2, it might be a good idea to have BCM upgrade the standard weight buffer to the H-buffer, especially for the carbine gas system.

Oh, you did say you're on a budget so you could do without the lower build tool kit, though it does look handy to have. Common tools in the average garage will build a lower. Also I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace the FSB, odds are it won't be an issue. If it does bother you that's another thing but there's an excellent chance it'll be fine as is and will save you quite a bit of money and a lot of work. Same goes for the Magpul trigger guard it's not really necessary but a lot of people love them. If you do want one I'd buy it now and install it now instead of having to remove the standard guard later. No sense taking any more chances of dinging up the receiver or even breaking off a trigger guard ear.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Quentin; 29 December 2010 at 15:50.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Solarshock,

First off...welcome to WeaponEvolution!

The FSB on the Spike's upper will be as "difficult" as the BCM or any other properly installed fixed FSB. They are held in place with two taper pins. In my experience at a minimum you'll need Kroil oil, a FSB bench block, a good punch, and a hammer to get the pins out. You'll work almost as hard to get them re-installed. My question to you on this topic is why do you want to remove the FSB? Depending on your answer, I might suggest going with another set up.

I would also suggest the mid-length over the carbine length upper.

In regards to the DPMS LPK, as others have stated they are not what many of us would choose to use, but they do seem to be the least expensive if you are truly on a budget. They come with split pins (not roll pins) for the trigger guard and the bolt catch. These do not install as easily. You definitely need to oil up the holes prior to driving the pins in. The DPMS LPK also comes with a notched hammer, and I prefer a rounded one.

Other LPKs have been mentioned, but I’ll also add that the Spike’s Tactical LPK is top notch. Ask yourself this:

“Is it worth an extra $20 (or so) to ensure that every moving part in my lower receiver is of good quality?”

For a decent enhanced trigger guard on a budget, consider the Magpul MOE trigger guard for a few dollars less.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I felt this is a good place to start - first build - first time owner - and a big thanks to Deaj for helping me find this site - funny thing is he does not know me from Adam! :)

I have a S&W M&P 15T out of the box - and going to the range for the first time tomorrow. About caused a divorce, but you guys know that drill. Going with a buddy of mine that can talk shop with must of you guys, but basically hits me in the head and drills into me, KISS. But let me get away with a few things: so here are some of the items I got with the help of some research and what not:

MagPul AFG I
    B.A.D. Lever
    Extended Trigger Guard
    and a Single Point Sling that was on Sale
    (no hook, so for now I'll use the stock clip until I can get a ring at the hub, maybe a Tango Down, they look good/cost/functionality)

In case anyone is curious - I'll be buring Wolf .223 - and let you all know how she runs - but from what I know - keep it clean and it's a no brainer. It came pretty well oiled, so I'll be cleaning it prior to running rounds through it.

I'll take a picture when I have it set up - doubt my little extras compared to what you guys have will be in today in time for the range tomorrow. No optics yet -
    Oh, did treat (ha) myself to a blackhawk tactical AR bag - $34 at Dicks, for the $ it was nice, has 5 mag pockets on the outside, and a pouch, would have been nice if it has some velcro straps on the inside.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In case anyone was curious, burned 120 rounds with 100% effect. 300 meters after zeroing it in (I think it was 25 yards?), I was maybe hitting the target 80% of the time, which at my age, that little metal circle blends in with the dirt in my opinion (LOL). I don't know if optics would have helped, but it was fun. Jury is still out on the AFG as we were sitting down on the bench rest, so did not get much use out of it. Metal mags and PMags all worked great, but I really like the PMags, but thats only my opinion.

When I got back, I had a real hard time cleaning it - though I was shown twice how to dis-assemble and re-assemble, but I finally got it down - and wow talk about opinions on what to lube and not to lube, and what lube to use even, wow.

CYA

Downloads
    Uploads
    LOL. I'm laughing at your post a bit. Your list looks similar to the options I've been exploring as of late. I find humor in it because I never felt it was a "Budget Build".

Great info in here BTW! Keep us informed as to how it continues to shoot!
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Ben Franklin

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Scardon View Post
    In case anyone was curious, burned 120 rounds with 100% effect. 300 meters after zeroing it in (I think it was 25 yards?), I was maybe hitting the target 80% of the time, which at my age, that little metal circle blends in with the dirt in my opinion (LOL). I don't know if optics would have helped, but it was fun. Jury is still out on the AFG as we were sitting down on the bench rest, so did not get much use out of it. Metal mags and PMags all worked great, but I really like the PMags, but thats only my opinion.

When I got back, I had a real hard time cleaning it - though I was shown twice how to dis-assemble and re-assemble, but I finally got it down - and wow talk about opinions on what to lube and not to lube, and what lube to use even, wow.

CYA
    LOL. Glad everything went well. Pmags are great mags. As far as lube, I pretty much tried all of them and they all work great in regular conditions. The one thing to be careful with is the synthetic ones as they aren't that good in

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Scardon View Post

CYA
    If you need some help with cleaning, lube or maintenance issues, don't hesitate to IM me. I'm always open to ideas for new material to help out our viewers and members.

I have some cleaning and maintenance material already posted, with more planned for later this year.

http://http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?33-How-To-Guides

Quib

Downloads
    Uploads
    You guys are great and all offers accepted. Regarding a budget build - I build PCs for a hobby; but when I found out what optics can run,
    OMG. Yeah OK, all in all w/o the mags/ammo , just at 1500

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wanted to post an update w/ my build, and also wanted to put my stubbornness on display.

I had every intention of getting a different LRPK but an idle day turned my patience against me. I eventually got the split pins in place but you can see where the finish was removed from my scuffle with the trigger guard pin. Finally punched that wench home without any damage to any of the components, and fortunately after I already purchased the MOE trigger guard I wanted to use LOL. That's what I get for not listening to you guys.

Picked up the ACS, buffer tube assembly, and MOE grip at a local gun show. Now I just need the upper and a few furniture pieces and she'll be ready to bark:

The only complaints I have so far (that a Sharpie can't fix) is the slight wobble with the ACS. I have read that others experienced this as well and since the build isn't complete I have no idea if this will bug me in the end, we'll see. Other than that the overall feel and comfort of the stock and grip are great but that's probably not new news!

Downloads
    Uploads
    That tiny wobble on my ACS bothered me until I shot it - I now own a second ACS, and couldn't care less about that tiny bit of play. The buffer probably isn't as precise on the OD as others, but serviceable is serviceable, and you really won't care down the road anyway.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC