Downloads
    Uploads

My War Belt. Critique please

This is what I have set up so far. For me I really like it. The suspenders are just a trial thing and are going to be replaced with good ones post haste. This would be the first thing I grabbed. It carries 4 mags in open top pouches, two pistol mags, an IFAK, an OTIS cleaning kit, a dump pouch, NOD's case, knife, holster, and admin pouch that holds gloves, batteries, flashlight, small note pad, pen, small oil bottle, small multitool, zip ties... whatever else I can stuff in it that I need. I can get to everything rather well, and have humped it cross country and all equipment riddes well. Any suggestions? Ideas? Bitches, complaints?

Tactical Fat Guy

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks good, but You should take a picture of it with you wearing it. That way we can see how it's set up and the accessability.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That looks nice. Pretty much everything you need, especially the handgun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here it all is. I will get a picture of me wearing it to post up here soon.

Tactical Fat Guy

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm really liking these war belts after looking at that other thread.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What is the total weight with the mags topped off and everything in the pouches, including the handgun, for the vest and the belt together? Can you access everything on your belt with the vest on? I too would like to see a picture of it worn to get a better idea of the placement of everything. Looking pretty good so far.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    My PC broke, but as soon it gets out of the computer hospital i will post those pics. I cant upload them off my tablet for some reason.
    Tactical Fat Guy

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm new here but I have been in this field for a few years so my opinion is exactly what you paid for it but, I always considered a "war belt" as first line gear but in a minimal role. it has the minimum gear too react to a situation for a short period of time.
    Again this is not saying yours is bad or wrong, but my "War belt" for example has 3 mags for my AR15, 2 pistol mags, a holster for my pistol, a fighting knife, a multi tool, and a small tactical flashlight.

my second line gear is a chest rig with more rifle mags, more pistol mags a pistol, a GSW-FAK (center of rig so it can be reached with either hand) and a fighting knife.

Third line gear is a back pack with hydration, snivel gear, some energy food, communications, batteries, survival gear, more in depth first aid, another flashlight.

It's all personal preference and no one system is perfect, so do what you like, I just like to keep my belt as light and uncomplicated as possible so I can have it on me where ever I go or don it el quicko.

can you reach your FAK with either hand if the other is wounded, is your FAK set up for emergency trauma only or does it have a bunch of band aids and cough drops?

I don't carry any admin stuff on my fighting gear, I don't have paper and pens, and stuff like that, I don't have compass on my war belt, in my ruck sure, but war belts are for taking care of business RFN, if I have time to prep, I don my chest rig, if I have time and need I don my ruck., if I have a choice I go by vehicle and have a whole lot more stuff. If I have a wish list ,I bring artillery and air support.

anyway, that's my .02
    Last edited by stormwalker; 6 January 2011 at 20:50.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stormwalker, your points make wonderful sence. I can just reach my IFAK with both hands, but I will move it to be easier accessed. And my IFAK has a compression bandage, curlex, an NPA, surgical tape, CAT, shears, marker, gloves and is in an inner packet on a lanyard. I need to get a couple chest seals, a cath for chest decompression, surgical lube, alcohol and iodine swabs to add to it as well. Cough drops and bandaids go in the admin pouch.

As for the setup, the belt is a quick sling on item. It has all I need to sustain me minus water and food. I will be adding a tripple flash bang pouch on one side of my armor and a double smoke pouch on the other. The triple flash bang pouches will hold an extra light, pocket smoke, and pocket CS for E&E. the other side will have two smokes for signaling. I wanted to keep my front as low key as possible for going prone. Kindof a hybridization of the old LBE setup and the new "everything on your chest" mentality. After having to get low with a chest full of shit I wanted to change it up a lot.

My third line has turned into more of a heavy sustainment go bag and I need to set up a new assault pack for third line.
    Tactical Fat Guy

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm following this thread with great interest. Comments from those with gear and how they carry/access it is very thought provoking. I would like to see this one continued, with pictures on person. Not just the OP's rig, but if any of you have pics wearing your kit, please add to the thread.

Thanks for an interesting set.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not being a "warfighter" I try to stay out of defining things as "first line, second line" etc. but I understand why some do when they come from that background.

For me, the #1 priority as a non-LE civilian, is keeping the handgun in a location that is as close as possible, if not identical to, my everyday carry location. IMHO drop-leg holsters are a horrible idea for anyone not forced to use one due to armor needs or possibly vehicle-borne operations. Regular LE patrol officer, CCW civilian, etc. drop legs are a bad idea. I also try to maintain my pistol speed-load pouch in the identical location, but find that the technique I use for drawing magazines is a bit more flexible than my pistol draw. My opinion comes from years of watching other shooters have issues finding their gun, as well as my own experience when I become inconsistent.

Maybe you said it and I missed it, but what is your application for this belt? Is it a training aid? A duty rig? LE or mil?
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    As long as you train with it, I don't see a problem with having the handgun in a different location. I carry my off-duty in an ankle holster and I didn't have a problem locating it when I had to get at it during an off-duty incident and I hadn't trained that much with it at the time. I actually would prefer a drop down holster for my duty belt and most of my co-workers agree with me on that from previous discussions about it. It would be in a much more natural place to reach for. Not arguing with Rob, just a different point of view.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have carried pistols in many different locations over the years. Each serves a specific purpose. I have never had an issue knowing where my pistol was. As long as a drop leg is not too low they work rather well. Too often you see people wearing them way too low.

I am former LE and retired military (infantry) This is all for training and keeping skillsets up and sharp.
    Tactical Fat Guy

Downloads
    Uploads
    I keep my Warbelt very simplified since I too think it should be very streamlined. I try not to to run things that are very bulky on my rig as it not only adds a lot of excess weight on the hips but the extra bulk can make certain positions very tough to achieve. My rig though it is not completely current. I will get new pictures tomorrow:

-3x magna pistol pouch
    -Med kit (now replaced with a different model)
    -Dump pouch (no longer using the Maxped-running a BFG instead)
    -Double Ten Speed
    -Safariland holster on a duty drop
    -Single ten Speed

The Ten Speeds are great as they help keep the rig very light and provide extreme compactness when empty and really hold the magazines. My med kit got downsized to something that is smaller that has the essentials needed in a pinch to save a life. i am not a medic so i don't need to carry a full on trauma bag on my waist. The Maxpedition Rolly Polly is great but it can get bulky. With my BFG it allows me to double use that space (or keep it free) and is a lot lighter. The Safarliland holster is just what I love. I can't stand a thigh rig and in country they made me nuts as most people I saw wearing them should have called them knee rigs as they hung down so low. My duty is a good compromise for a concealed carry location.

The great things about this rig: 1- It is not attached to your leg which is another buckle to get on or off in a hurry and just another failure point. 2- It's very light weight and I can grab it and put it on while moving or jettison it in a hurry if need be. 3- It is highly compatible with my plate carrier and nothing gets in the way at all. With a full sized IOTV it is still quite usable though things can be harder to reach. However it still allows me to keep almost everything I need on my belt.

Ultimately my Warbelt allows me 4 magazines for both rifle and pistol at the ready ( 3x each on the belt, 1 in each gun). That's quite a bit of ammo to do what I need to and to top it off i do have a triple Ten Speed on my plate carrier giving me a total of 7 mags for the rifle.

Rob is dead on though, there is a line between practical and just plain overloaded. I tend to be like Rob and I am more of a minimalist.
    كافر - Infidel
    http://op4guy.blogspot.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is some pics off my iPhone from shooting today to show the gear being worn. We my computer gets fixed I will try to get better ones.

Last edited by DM1975; 16 January 2011 at 17:43.
    Tactical Fat Guy