Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Weight of many monolithic uppers is a comparative drawback, though not much of one. Were LMT to ever roll out a modular-railed (attachable rails to a round handguard) version of their MRP, then they wouldn't be able to keep them in stock.

Billett recievers have little functional appeal - I still have two sets, but I think those days are behind me. They are visually stunning rifles, and shoot very well, but my most accurate rifle uses a lowly forged upper, and both of my billet lowers are tighter in the magwell than my forged units, and have little added flaring as well.

I really like my billet units, but when I see guys spending money on those parts and then skimping on BCG components, then that makes me wonder and worry.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    LOL! Thanks for the input guys. All of the differing view points give me great perspectives to consider.

I think at this point I might go with the Spikes billet lower with a forged upper although my mind is not made up yet. This is just where I hover now without my finger on the trigger as it were.

Weight isn't an issue with me. Everything I have now is really heavy (VEPR, Remmy 700P with 26" BBL in .308, Remmy 870 etc...)... and even with goodies installed I'm coming in pounds lighter on this AR build and a better balance of the weight than what I'm used to. I want to get the ambi bolt release without add-on levers filling in the extra space inside the trigger guard to accomplish the same thing which the billet offers. And while I will spare no expense to get a great, solid and reliable rifle I certainly don't want to throw money away over BS not needed.

I have to wait a couple of more weeks to make sure I still have a job this year (great innit?) and then I'll start dropping money. March is the big paycheck so I might get the lower before then but the upper and optics will have to wait a bit longer. Such is the pain of BRD I suppose. At least I have the support of my wife who is currently trying to make up her mind about what pistol to buy for my Xmas present to her. That's how you keep the approval ratings up at home in my house. It's a tough life!
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Ben Franklin