Tactical Shotgun Flashlight Mount for Remington 870, Mossberg 500, Mossberg 590, and other Tactical Shotguns. No rails required!

http://elzetta.com/zsmFAQ.htm

The Elzetta ZSM will work with Remington 870, Mossberg 500, Mossberg 590, Benelli M4, and many other shotguns that have 1-3/4" (44 mm) of free space on the magazine tube and barrel. The Elzetta ZSM is designed for 12-Gauge Shotguns and also comes with Gauge Adapters that allow the Elzetta ZSM to be used with 20-Gauge and .410 shotguns. Every Elzetta ZSM comes with Sizing Adapters, giving the Flashlight Mount the ability to hold flashlights from 0.70 to 1.05 inches in diameter (18 to 27 mm). This glass-filled polymer provides outstanding durability, impact resistance, scratch resistance and light weight. It also withstands high temperatures, vibration, and most chemicals. The Elzetta ZSM can be mounted to either side of the shotgun to accommodate left-handed or right-handed shooters. The Elzetta ZSM has been tested extensively under harsh recoil. When installed correctly, the Elzetta ZSM will not move under recoil nor allow the flashlight to move.

All Elzetta products, including the ZSM, are designed, engineered, and manufactured in the USA using American materials, tooling, and labor.

I received an Elzetta ZSM Tactical Shotgun Flashlight Mount for a review. Elzetta offers two versions of the ZSM Shotgun Flashlight Mount, the “Standard” Version and the “Thumb Screw” Version dubbed the “ZSM-T”. I received the “Standard” Version, however I can attest that the “Thumb Screw” features of the Elzetta ZORM and ZROC Flashlight Mounts are a great feature to have. With the “Thumb Screw” feature you have the ability to tighten the light down with just finger pressure and no extra tools are needed, however something as convenient as a coin or household key can be used to add some extra tightness.

Below is an image of the “Thumb Screw” feature of the ZROC light mount. NOTE: This is not the light mount being reviewed, however just a visual depiction of what the “Thumb Screw” feature looks like. The “Thumb Screw” feature of the ZSM-T Flashlight Mount is only for securing or removing the flashlight to the mount and not to secure the mount to the shotgun.

Installation was fairly straight forward and self-explanatory. If you need a little bit more instruction, the package includes step-by-step instructions for the installation. I used an Elzetta ZFL-M60 3-cell Flashlight for this review, so I did not need to use any adapters for a smaller diameter flashlight. Also I used a Mossberg 590 (M590A1) 12-gauge Tactical Shotgun which did not require the use of the 20-guage or .410 gauge adapters to secure the mount to the shotgun.

Since this light mount attaches to the barrel and the extended magazine tube, the need for a rail mount is not necessary or needed. The mount attaches to the barrel and magazine tube by tightening two 7/64” hex screws on the bottom of the mount and two 5/32” hex screws on the top with the provided hex wrenches. Elzetta warns not to over-tighten the hex screws. They recommend that the bottom 7/64” hex screws are tightened to no more than 10 in-lbs and the top 5/32” hex screws are tightened to no more than 20 in-lbs. Also, though I have plenty of hex wrenches lying around my tool bench, it is always nice when a manufacturer provides you with the tools that you need to get the job done.

I found that with the light mounted close to the forend that the light did not cast an overly noticeable shadow from the barrel and extended magazine tube. This may have been at my advantage of using a 235 lumen Elzetta Flashlight. Lower lumen lights may not have enough power to defeat any harsh shadows caused by the barrel and extended magazine tube. I also moved the mount so the light was close to being flush with the end of the barrel. When the light was flush, I was still able to manipulate the rear push button, though I had to slide my off-hand more forward on the forend to manipulate the button. To my advantage, I was using a 3-cell Elzetta flashlight, which allowed me to have less distance to reach for, so the 2-cell versions or shorter versions of different lights may be more difficult to mount closer to the business end of the barrel.

Also of note is that you will need at least 1 3/4 inches of space free on the barrel and on the extended magazine tube. I was not able to mount the ZSM Tactical Flashlight Mount on a similar shotgun without the extended magazine tube.

Overall I would say that the Elzetta ZSM Tactical Flashlight Mount is a great bet for anyone who has a Tactical Shotgun (with extended magazine tube) and does not have or need a rail system to add in additional accessories. If you already have a rail system mounted to your shotgun, then the ZORM or ZROC Mounts could be an additional option to meet your needs. The mount is well built, well thought out, and very light weight.

Link to the discussion thread here

http://elzetta.com/index.htm