Downloads
    Uploads

Benefits of 10.5" barell to 16"

I am planning on building a new Noveske N4, with a 10.5" upper, and would like any input regarding pros and cons for law enforcement use.

I will be using this weapon on patrol, and eventually on the local tactical team. However, another shift Sergeant has to approve me to carry this weapon on duty. Another officer has a Rock River Arms AR with the collapsable stock and 16 inch barell. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pros:
    1: Very maneuverable.
    2. Light weight.

Cons:
    1. Much louder.
    2. Reduced velocity, which reduces the fragmentatio/expansionn range.

I'd base it on how far you really expect to be engaging bad guys. If you work in a city and most of your engagements will be up close, the shorter barrel may be ideal for you, bug if you work in a rural town, then the longer barrel will make more sense. Your optic choice should also depend on where you work.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with the above. I work with a number of my local teams here in Pittsburgh. The major complaint I've dealt with is gas pressure. The shorter barrel lengths can be very loud when working with a team. I delivered three 11.5" with KX3s for a team back in August and they have worked great when compared to what they had earlier. 10.5" isn't that bad to work with indoors, just be cognizant of your partners :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a Noveske Light Recce 16 inch that I bought and a Noveske-based 11.5 SBR that I built (has BCM barrel). Even in this rural area for Tac Team use, I don't see any significant advantage of 16 over 11.5. I think you compromise more using a 16 inch barrel for room-clearing than you do using an 11.5 for 100-yard shooting. The 11.5 has been nice in that I've had no cycling issues, and no problems juggling the relationship between gas port/spring/buffer/BCG. OTOH, I don't run it suppressed at all.

As to optics, I use an Eotech - tried a Micro T-1 but found I liked the Eotech EXPS2 better. Muzzle device, haven't shot it indoors much, but a BattleComp doesn't seem to blast that much more than a standard A2 FH. OTOH, the FSC556 I had on it before was quite the blaster and rather unpleasant indoors.

If this is going to be a personal weapon that you're going to use on duty, you'll need to register it as an SBR, as I know you're already aware. If you buy the rifle as an SBR, you'll need a Form 4 transfer, if you're going to build it yourself, you'll need a Form 1.

Last edited by Hmac; 20 January 2011 at 11:38.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since OIS are generally within closer ranges (even with a carbine), the terminal performance disadvantages of the 10.5" aren't nearly as noticeable, the biggest difference will be the quantity of unburnt powder coming out the muzzle (louder, more flash). If an 11.5" is just as available, it's a great compromise as well, that added length won't be noticeable unless you attach a can to the front of it.

As mentioned above, any solid reflex sight (Aimpoint, EOTech) and I'd evaluate which weaponlight works best, and you'll be set.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe it's just a lack of imagination or experience on my part, but in 16 years of rural Tac Team use, I can't ever think of a time, even in training, when the plan called for anyone to have to engage anything beyond 50-75 yards with a carbine, and my 11.5 will hit an 8 inch plate every time, all day, at that range. In fact, I'd say that if that kind of engagement, carbines at 75 yards, even happened by accident, it would represent a significant failure in planning. It's why Tac Teams have snipers. Hostage scenarios, even in the woods, are their purview, and remain so right up until the rest of the guys line up to blow the door.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with HMAC. If given a choice, for LE use, I'd go with a carbine in the 11.5" range. With so many different ammo available to LE, even out of a 10.5" barrel, it will still be effective out o 100 yards, which is very rare for LE.