Just wanted to say hello and that I am a noobie here and in the AR field. I am not new to guns as I have been around them for over 40 years...

I just ordered my first AR. It will probably be my last as it took most of all the money I had saved up, but, I am hoping it will be worth it. After all the reading and researching I could stand (a few years worth), I decided on the LMT. I felt I was leaning towards the piston version as I wanted something new (to the AR) but field tested in a number of other platforms. I also like the idea of being able to change barrels and bolts and have a multi-purpose rifle. I want to use mine for hunting when LMT comes out with their version of the 6.5G.

I am now looking at different accessories. First thing is a scope. I am leaning toward the Leupold VX-7 1.5X6X24. I called Leupold today and asked about rings and they said I would have to use their ultra high 1.40" rings due to the flat top arrangement of the LMT. Just curious as why? Will I not be able to get a good cheek weld on the SOPMOD stock to use the lower 1.09" high QD rings? Their ultra high rings don't offer the QD feature I like.

I will probably order some mags soon as well. I am seriously looking at the PMags by MagPul and hopefully someone here will chime in when they get around to using them. I did read the thread on what mags everyone is using. I have also considered purchasing LMT mags as they are only a couple more dollars/mag. Does anyone know if they are GI. I realize that LMT contracts to the US Gov but am unsure about if they send their mags to the troops.

I am really looking for durability here which is why I chose LMT.

Take care and try to be a little easy on this young kid with his first AR ,

Kelly