Downloads
    Uploads

Lucid HD 7 "FDE"

I just wanted to post this pic and see what people think. This is Krylon Khaki. It is a little on the light side, but, all the flat dark earth on my rifle is off a little. I just wanted to try painting something simple and not worth a fortune before I tried Duracoating my upper and lower. This is the Lucid HD7 with the 2x magnifier on it.

Sorry for the pic quality, I plan on taking better pictures of the whole rifle once I receive the last piece.

Thanks guys!

Downloads
    Uploads
    bottom picture makes it look closer in color to the rear sight than the top one does. Looks like a nice paint job though. How do you like that HD7? I am considering one for my budget build.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeky73 View Post
    bottom picture makes it look closer in color to the rear sight than the top one does. Looks like a nice paint job though. How do you like that HD7? I am considering one for my budget build.
    I have Magpul, Troy, Vltor, and Midwest Industires parts on my AR. The color difference between them all is noticable, but, the khaki color is closest to the Magpul fde. As for the HD7, I have not actually used it yet. I've been waiting to completely finish my build before I try it. Only waiting on my front buis. The first time I saw the HD7 was at Outbreak Omega3, hosted by DMPMS at Del Ton Luth range in St. Cloud MN. I wasn't to hot on it at first glance. But after shopping Eotech, Aimpoint, and Trijicon, then seeing Quib's review on Wevo, I was convinced that this sight would work for me. Quib's review is pretty much what sold me on it. Along with price and the fact that it came with the 2X magnifier and can be used for fast target acuisition as well. It seems solid from what I can tell And Quib's review is spot on in my opinion thus far. Thank you for the compliment on the paint job too! It doesn't seem that difficult as long as I take my time and make sure to prep everything well, it turns out nice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Arsone23, glad to hear the feedback with regards to my review, and that it helped in your decision to purchase an HD7.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Quib View Post
    Arsone23, glad to hear the feedback with regards to my review, and that it helped in your decision to purchase an HD7.
    No problem Quib,

What I was really looking for was to see how people liked the HD7 in the "FDE"?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe the taupe color from Brownell's is supposed to be a very close match to magpul fde, and I was strongly considering trying it before I sold the gun that had all the fde furniture on it. I have been eyeballing the HD7 since it first came out, and have probably read Quib's review on it 5 different times trying to talk myself into it. I can't find anything bad about it online, but at the same time it hasn't exactly been on the market for that long. And the rabbit in your avatar is terribly creepy, and I think about it every time I see a movie with Jake Gyllenhall (sp?). :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeky73 View Post
    I believe the taupe color from Brownell's is supposed to be a very close match to magpul fde, and I was strongly considering trying it before I sold the gun that had all the fde furniture on it. I have been eyeballing the HD7 since it first came out, and have probably read Quib's review on it 5 different times trying to talk myself into it. I can't find anything bad about it online, but at the same time it hasn't exactly been on the market for that long. And the rabbit in your avatar is terribly creepy, and I think about it every time I see a movie with Jake Gyllenhall (sp?). :)
    Yes, I just kind of wanted to get a feel for the painting and prep before I tried the finishes made for weapons, duracoat ect. The rabbit is "Frank the Rabbit" from Donnie Darko.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have had a Lucid HD7 for a few months now. It took about 10 rounds (btwn 25 yds and 100 yds) to get it sighted in. My reticle is nice and crisp. I have used both the auto brightness and manual brightness modes. Both work as advertised. It has not lost zero since the initial install. I have removed it from the rail and reinstalled it a few times and it still holds zero. I am very happy with my HD7. Right now there is a group buy on the HD7 going on here.

I am in the process of doing a FDE build and was thinking about FDE optics for it. I like the FDE coloring. How much trouble was it masking off the lenses? Did you have to use anything special so the paint would adhere to the rubberized coating on the HD7?
    I will be using the Magpul MBUS Gen 2, in FDE, when they are available, as backups. So, I want to get as close to the Magpul FDE coloring as possible.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've had my Lucid HD7 for a few months now and I am liking it a lot. It took about 10 rounds to get it zero'd in (between 25 yds and 100 yds). I found the auto brightness and manual brightness functions to work as advertised. My reticles are nice and crisp. I have removed the HD7 a few times and reinstalled it. It has held its zero with no problems and the base has not loosened up at all.

I am in the process of doing an FDE build and was thinking about going FDE with the optics as well. I like the look of the FDE color. I have a Magpul (FDE) ACS stock, Troy/VTAC TRX Extreme (FDE) rail, and a FDE Ergo grip so far. I will be installing the Magpul MBUS Gen 2 sights when they are available. I need to get as close as possible to the FDE color so everything matches..

There is a group buy going on here for the HD7 right now..

Did you have to do any special prep to the HD7 so the paint would adhere to the rubberized coating? Any difficulties masking off the lenses?

Thanks for the tip on the Brownell's Taupe paint. I will check that out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jetspeed8 View Post
    I've had my Lucid HD7 for a few months now and I am liking it a lot. It took about 10 rounds to get it zero'd in (between 25 yds and 100 yds). I found the auto brightness and manual brightness functions to work as advertised. My reticles are nice and crisp. I have removed the HD7 a few times and reinstalled it. It has held its zero with no problems and the base has not loosened up at all.

I am in the process of doing an FDE build and was thinking about going FDE with the optics as well. I like the look of the FDE color. I have a Magpul (FDE) ACS stock, Troy/VTAC TRX Extreme (FDE) rail, and a FDE Ergo grip so far. I will be installing the Magpul MBUS Gen 2 sights when they are available. I need to get as close as possible to the FDE color so everything matches..

There is a group buy going on here for the HD7 right now..

Did you have to do any special prep to the HD7 so the paint would adhere to the rubberized coating? Any difficulties masking off the lenses?

Thanks for the tip on the Brownell's Taupe paint. I will check that out.

I used the Krylon Kahki, it is too light, but, that doesn't bother me. It looks like the Brownell's Taupe for a Magpul match. Or try Duracoat, they have a lot of fde colors. As far as taping, the lense was not that hard, it just takes time and patients. The part I did get stuck on was the little sensor that senses the brightness for the auto brightness setting. I took me a while to figure out how to tape it. In the end I just used a little spec of tape right over it instead of trying to tape around it. It's not perfect but it turned out well enough for my liking. I used a degreaser from my hardware store. I asked the guy for something that wouldn't eat metal, plastic, or rubber. It seemed to work well. If you want to do a professional quality paint job, check out duracoat's web site. They have a special degreaser and tons of info. I just went the way I did to get a feel for spraying and refinishing myself and to see if I'm confident I could apply a better finish to the actual upper and lower.